PDA

View Full Version : Does stringing make the frame weaker???

Jay Welvaert
03-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Hey, I was told that every time you string you racket that it makes the frame weaker and therefore easier to crack. Is this true? I am just wondering because I breake strings and have to restring my racket once a week and I use a Babolat Pure Drive + and that racket isnt very sturdy anyway.

Thanks for your help, Jay

NoBadMojo
03-01-2004, 12:40 PM
jay there is definite frame fatigue the older the frame is and the more times it is strung. much of it depends upon how well made the frame is and how much actual useful fibers like graphite they use compared to resins and binders. whether you would notice any changes is another matter. i would think that if you did, your babs would feel more flexy and less lively. i know before i changed racquets, my oldest c8pros played more flexible and less powerfully than my newer ones and those were well made frames. they just kind of went dead. I dont think you would really notice anything for a year or two though.Ed

Hawaii 5.0
03-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Stringing and string breaking put the most stress on a frame and each time it will in essence hurt the frame since all frames fatigue because the resin used to bind the graphite decomposes faster than graphite and so the more binder the faster it will go, but more heavily built or solid frames can stand more and more stress of stringing and string breaking.Having a good mounting system when stringing can increase life since bad one's will further stress the frame.