PDA

View Full Version : Babolat VS Touch with new silicone coating?

ovyyus
06-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I bought some of this from **** - same as item number 3683378256. The five sets arrived the other day in individual sealed clear plastic bags and looked like no gut I'd ever seen before. The string consists of what looks like darkish fibres wrapped in a plastic gold/yellow sheath.

The seller says the string sets are not in their usual printed packets because they are 'factory rejects' (cut to wrong length only) and Babolat just wanted rid of them. There is no tag or packaging to indicate exactly what they are. I can't find any info on Babolat natural gut string like this - with a gold/yellow plastic or 'silicone' sheath. Is this something new? Has anyone seen this kind of Babolat natural gut before?

Stitch626
06-19-2004, 10:13 PM
i dunno that sounds kind of shady....sounds like those e-bay guts everyone complaining about. You may have gotten jipped, but just string it up since u already bought it and see how it goes.

PHSTennis
06-19-2004, 10:45 PM
SILICONE!? ITS GLUE! NOTHING BUT GLUE... yep those premium guts... haha he got them and got jipped and now gets you I assume... factory rejects... this is Premium Babolat gut! theres no rejects that would leave the factory! The dude put those premium in his weedwacker... that story cracks me up all the time... if that pops when you string it... woah... good luck dude... whats the guys rating?

PHSTennis
06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
7infinity?? hes cool I dont think he ll rip anyone off.. I think I bought strings from him before, not gut though... hes awesome... you didnt buy it from him right? what was the item # of your auction?

ovyyus
06-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Not premium gut.

Advertised as:

"5 SETS BABOLAT VS GUT TOUCH TENNIS STRING."

With the description:

"HERE AT 7INFINITY WE SOMETIMES RECEIVES WRONG CUTS,THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THESE 5 SETS IN THE CONTRARY THEY ARE VERY FRESH,BUT THE MANUFACTURER CUT THEM AT 42 FEET INSTEAD OF 40 FEET,SO BABOLAT DOESN'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED,AND SELLS THEM OUT,OUR BABOLAT REP SAYS,IF YOU HAVE HAVE NEVER PLAYED WITH BABOLAT VS GUT,THE FEEL IS LIKE NO OTHER,THEY ARE 16GAUGE,AND THEY ARE THE NEW SILICONE PROTECTIVE OUTER COATING,A LOT OF THE PROS PLAY WITH VS GUT,LOW SHIPPING OF 4.00,WE ACCEPT PAYPAL,CHECKS,MONEY ORDERS,HAPPY BIDDING.WE HAVE VERY LIMITED QUANTITY" Item 3682157429

7INFINITY has great references, I don't think this seller would knowingly rip anyone off. Still, if it is natural gut then it's the weirdest I've seen. Gut is usually translucent and you can untwist and fray it but this stuff looks like plastic with a fibre core, really has a strong vinyl-like smell too - must be the "new silicone outer coating"???

Only had it strung today and have not had a chance to hit with it yet (weather sucks) but my stringer says he's never seen a natural gut like it, if that's what it is. Could this be some new coated natural gut product from Babolat or has someone made a mistake?

HT
06-20-2004, 11:29 AM
ovyyus,

Infinity, actually just listed a 2nd aution exactly like the offer package you got. But I decided not to buy it right off at $98, and bid at 60. It ended up selling at $130. Considering there's no printed label of Babolat signature brand. I was waried about it.

To figure out if they are truely Babolat VS gut, you should string up see how it plays. Hopefully you had experiences with the original VS so you can make the distinction. If it turn out be the real stuff then you got a hell of a deal. If not, DAMN! I wasn't willing to take that risk.

Let us know how it turns out.

ovyyus
06-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi HT,

Just had a hit with it - it's sure not Babolat VS gut. Plays and looks like a plastic coated multifiliment, maybe Fibretour 16 or Excel Premium?

I have 7infinity checking it out for me, they're pretty good to deal with and I expect when they investigate it a little further they will come to the same conclusion I have. It's a real pity - I thought I got a bargain at that price :) Let you know how it turns out...

mileslong
06-20-2004, 07:53 PM
you need to demand your money back. if they dont give it then contact **** about fraud and then burn their *** on their references...

PHSTennis
06-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Way to go mileslong... idiots got ripped off by me cause he big pretty high and didnt want to pay up lol... I hate this junk, my uncle got scammed 300$ videocard... ;) some people are such *******s...

bsandy
06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
SILICONE!? ITS GLUE! NOTHING BUT GLUE...

Don't tell my girlfriend that . . .Bud

Ken Edwards
06-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm glad you started this thread. They're up to over $153 now.