PDA

View Full Version : Ok, make my decision for me, im clueless...

tennislover
06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
First of all, I would like toask for your help on picking a new string for my new racuet I am gonna get. I'm looking for a polyester string , preferable max of $12, for my Wilson Prostaff 5.1 SurgeX. I really dont know what to do, everybody is listing on these boards so many different combos and types of strings I think I have made up my mind....until I read another post! I am looking for feel and playabitlity and durablility would be nice. I am about a 4.0 player.

Second of all, how does everyone break their strings after like 2 sets? I've had my strings for like 4 months in a dif racket, and yes, they do have notches in them, but they're still playing.

HELP IS APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!

tennislover
06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Wait, do I want polyester. Is synthetic gut better....or are they same!

too many options :oops:

thatballwas_IN
06-19-2004, 11:56 PM
what have you played with in the past?
and, what are you looking for out of your string?
trying to CONTROL the power of your Surge?
or trying to maximize the POWER of your Surge?
do you have any arm problems?

it sounds like you haven't tried many strings before, so most would tell you to stick with synthetic gut before going to polys.

If you let people know what kind of player you are and what you want your strings to feel and help your game with... then they should be able to provide better help.

I would say try a Technifiber, Gamma Live Wire, or Laserfiber multi string and see if that does it for you. If you want to go poly, then continue to seek advice about the right Kirchbaum for you ... or add a few bucks for the LUXuriously priced LUXilon! :twisted:

dax_q
06-20-2004, 04:45 AM
I would say that if you don't break strings often, a premium synthetic gut would be good for you. Poly will be a lot stiffer. I play with stiff string, but I wish I had never started. Stay with the soft multifilament strings.

tennislover
06-20-2004, 07:18 AM
what have you played with in the past? Some type of babolat string my tennis pro at the club put in for me, never really told me :cry:
and, what are you looking for out of your string? A little bit of power and control and durability
trying to CONTROL the power of your Surge? 1/2
or trying to maximize the POWER of your Surge? the other 1/2
do you have any arm problems? Nope

I think I'll go with synthetic gut. How do you think the super smash honey is?

Chopin
06-20-2004, 08:01 AM
I would try Technifibre NRG 16, which is a pretty powerful string, but you can string it towards the higher end of the tension range. The feel is superb.

perfmode
06-20-2004, 08:03 AM
I don't think you need poly strings. you are better off getting a simple synthetic gut since you don't break strings often.

tennislover
06-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Is technifibre one of the best Synthetic gut out there?

Real McCoy
06-20-2004, 07:00 PM
There are many good Synthetic gut strings and which is the best is a matter of opinion. LaserFibre SuperNatural Phenom XRC is a little pricey @$13.95 but it maintains it tension longer than most and many prefer it over Wilson NXT Tour @ $15.95. If you string your own racquet, you may even consider an inexpensive reel of Gosen OG Micro 17. At $29.99 for a 660 ft reel, you could restring your racquet often.

kninetik
06-20-2004, 07:05 PM
There are lots of quality synthetics out there. It's really hard to mess up on the standard of strings and most companies have it right. I even like the Silent Partner's free reel of syngut 16 that comes with thier stringer though I am not saying it is outstanding or anything beyond good. Prince is probably the standard with thier Original Series though. I however have grown attached to Gosen Sheep Micro 17. It has "crispness" that I cant get out of Prince or generic brands. Though I havent tried technifibre, it is definately next on my "to do" list. You really cant go wrong with syngut, love that stuff.

tennislover
06-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Alright thanks for all your help, and I guess you all are right. It is not like any major company would sell a "bad" string and most will work for me. I settled with the Tecnifibre NRG 165 string, and will order the racket tonite once someone replies in my other topic about what tension I should string it at :)

thanks again

finchy
06-20-2004, 08:21 PM
you really do not want a stiff string in this racquet. i have the shorter version and it's vibes will shake your arm off.

borisboris
06-21-2004, 08:33 AM
:P You sound like you need a course in Strings 101. The best is listed right above you - THE LEARNING CENTER. I read this when changing strings 3 yrs ago. good luck