PDA

View Full Version : Is 37.5 feet long enough for two sets of main for ....

hlkimfung
06-20-2004, 07:09 AM
say two I-Radical Mid?

I am going to buy the BOW Nat Gut because of the price.

I will string it hybrid by putting the gut in the main, but since it specified on the package that it is only 37.5 long, I wonder if it's long enough for 36 (2X18 mains)main in a Mid size racquet, for example, the I-Radical

NoBadMojo
06-20-2004, 07:49 AM
if you are using a drop weight stringer, you may have to use a scrap piece of string and a clamp to make an extension to do the last main on each side using 1/2 set of bow. i had to do this on a v-engine9 i did w. 18 mains, and it worked fine. if you are using a 'better' stringer, you may or may not have to do this techniue depending upon how far away the tensioner is from the frame. hope this helps. ed

hlkimfung
06-20-2004, 08:47 AM
thanks Ed

I can go to two stringers. One is more professional with a constant pull machine which is VERY EXPENSIVE according to the guy. He's very pround of the machine and claim the job done on a clamp is no match to his...

the other stringer use a clamp, never give a sXXt to the constant pull and claim only the stringers' skill matter.

The 'constant pull' guy claim, if a stick is strung on a clamp, one of out every six pounds of the tension is GONE. That mean if I strung at 60 lbs, the actually tension RIGHT AFTER the job is only 50lbs, true?

Smashlob
06-20-2004, 09:29 AM
It will be a close one, but should be doable with a starting clamp (maybe, maybe not) The stringers skill IS the most important thing. Going up in price for the machine does not make the ending result better, just makes it go faster for the stringer.

NoBadMojo
06-20-2004, 10:30 AM
your stringer would have no problem then. the worst case is he will have to do the extension piece as i mentioned. as far as the tension goes..it's a relative number. i do think constant pull machines do tend to string a little tighter given all other stringer variables remain the same. i dont think 10 pounds though. Ed

sorkang724
06-25-2004, 08:09 PM
i try it and it worked...but make sure you cut the string in 2 piece before u start stringing it

David Pavlich
06-26-2004, 07:13 AM
thanks Ed

I can go to two stringers. One is more professional with a constant pull machine which is VERY EXPENSIVE according to the guy. He's very pround of the machine and claim the job done on a clamp is no match to his...

the other stringer use a clamp, never give a sXXt to the constant pull and claim only the stringers' skill matter.

The 'constant pull' guy claim, if a stick is strung on a clamp, one of out every six pounds of the tension is GONE. That mean if I strung at 60 lbs, the actually tension RIGHT AFTER the job is only 50lbs, true?

I can understand the stringer's pride in his machine and a good electronic certainly makes producing a consistent stringbed easier, however, I would say he's a little over the top concerning his claim about the difference between a lockout and a CP machine.

Consistency and attention to detail is the key to a good string job. If the stringer does his or her part and the machine is maintained properly (clean the clamps regularly, check the calibration and so on) a good string job can be achieved no matter the machine. Some may end up with a tighter string bed, but if you know the differences between machines, you can compensate.

David