PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me with my selfish request?

kickingbird
06-20-2004, 07:28 PM
OK, here's my best at describing the types of strings I'd like to play with-

Crisp, lively with bite on the ball, not 'boardy'/stiff, as if I'm hitting with a plank of wood. It must have a bit of a trampoline/pocketing the ball feel, although not too deeply. Want maybe a 3-1 control-power ratio. I don't want the ball to feel like it's slipping off the strings (mushy). Again, I'd like a lot of crispy, biting feel.

I think what I might be looking for is thin gauge synthetic to string tightly, or polyester? Are all poly strings 'crisp'? Is this what I should be looking at?

I don't mind the soft feel of a tightly strung soft string (like Wilson NXT, I think it was), but hate the feel when it starts dying, so I'm turning away from it.

My 16 gauge Babolat International strings start fraying after a few sets but they only break about every 3 months. I actually don't mind the feel of the shaved strings, maybe because they have become thinner?? I play on average 3 times/week, baseliner, topspinner. Using Yonex 95 inch head, 16x19 pattern.

Cost under $15 if possible! I've read through past posts and it looks like the Jim Courier GOSEN strings, and Laserfibre Tour strings seem to fit my request?

I'll take in all suggestions and try them out- I trust you all!

Thanks everyone!

kninetik
06-20-2004, 08:03 PM
This is the third post Im going to represent my strings on! Gosen Micro Sheep 17 (Also available in 18 I believe) has the crispness you're looking for! Costs under $4.

kickingbird
06-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Excellent, I've put that on my list, thanks kninetik!

BTW Does it make a nice crispy sound when you bounce it off the strings, or when you put lotsa spin on it? This is also a prerequisite!

And just to double check, is the full name of the string you are mentioning 'Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17 Natural String'? There is a Super String version (but over $4), and there are quite a few that have similar names too.

kreative
06-21-2004, 01:10 AM
may want to try laserfibre supreme.

kickingbird
06-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks kreative.

Have you tried the Laserfibre LaserTour also by any chance? How does this and Supreme differ?

Jerry Seinfeld
06-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Tour plays more crisply than Supreme. It is a solid core that plays similar to TNT, except it holds tension much better. It's a good string, but comparing solid core strings to multis is like comparing Hersey bars to Ho-Ho's. Both are sweet, chocolately, but one is firmer than the other.

kreative
06-21-2004, 11:45 AM
sorry kicking, i haven't tried lasertour, but i've tried phenom, which feel less crisp than the supreme imo.