PDA

View Full Version : Gaines or anyone, recommend for spin on dense pattern?

Tommy Haas
06-20-2004, 09:30 PM
* deleted *

K!ck5w3rvE
06-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Yeah I think thinner is the way to go, because the thinner the string, the more space between the strings, therefore a more open string pattern. I suggest that you look on TW under the stringer finder section, and go into gauges of string, and then go with maybe an 18 gauge (but look on the other thin gauges too). Then just go through the list and pick out a few that you seemed to think suit your game and meet your 'criteria', and then get a set or two of each to try. Hope this helps.

Jerry Seinfeld
06-21-2004, 05:05 AM
Tommy,

You may want to give Phenom 18 a go. Fairly durable and should play well in a dense pattern. 18 ga will bite the ball. Not as crisp as the Supreme, but same great tension holding capabilities.

NoBadMojo
06-21-2004, 07:42 AM
suggest you work on your technique and not worry so much about the strings. spin is like 90% technique and 10% gear and i think the frame construction and weight and balance has more to do w. spin than the strings and also some dense string patterns actually spin the ball better than some 16x19's...i'm not familiar w. your 200g though. it depends mostly on your own personal dynamics. Ed

Rookie
06-21-2004, 07:50 AM
NRG2 18 could be an alternative for you. I did try it on a Dunlop 200G (yellow one), at 63/63lbs. I gave me a pretty good feeling and can easily generate spin from it. But it is too fragile, it broke only after 3 sets.

bsandy
06-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Actually, on a denser string pattern, a thicker string creates more friction than a thinner string.

Get your old tennis magazines out.

. . . Bud

Gaines Hillix
06-21-2004, 01:16 PM
There's a lot of controversy on this: Thicker string at lower tension or thinner string at higher tension are both claimed to create more spin. If you use above average racquet head speed I would stick with a thinner string at higher tension. But, I also agree that technique and racquet head speed have more to do with this than the string and tension used. If you hit a flat ball, the racquet and string are not going to help you. A low to high swing, strong follow through and a semi or full western grip are going to produce the most spin.

bigserving
06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Haas, I use the same frame and am looking for a string setup to get more topspin. I like the comfort and the control. I have been using 17 BDE Performance at 65lbs. I do like it.

If you come across a setup that you like, how about posting it.