PDA

View Full Version : Ball machine: which one to choose???

Jlema
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I live in Brazil. We donīt have ball machines for sale here. So I was thinking in bringing one from the USA but donīt know much about the models available...at first, I am considering Wilson portable machine and Prince model 1. My main concern would be obviously, durability: Iīll take a serious risk taking it to a place where thereīs no technical support so its mechanics has to be of trust ( for instance, Iīve heard counter spinning wheels machines are preferable over pneumatic ones, right? )and relatively simple , so if I have some problem a general mechanical could try to fix it around here ...and of course, weight is important as it will impact final price (freight)...so , can you guys give me your comments on this???

..and forgive me for the poor english!

Thanks

Juan

Dragonhorse
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,

I live in Brazil. We donīt have ball machines for sale here. So I was thinking in bringing one from the USA but donīt know much about the models available...at first, I am considering Wilson portable machine and Prince model 1. My main concern would be obviously, durability: Iīll take a serious risk taking it to a place where thereīs no technical support so its mechanics has to be of trust ( for instance, Iīve heard counter spinning wheels machines are preferable over pneumatic ones, right? )and relatively simple , so if I have some problem a general mechanical could try to fix it around here ...and of course, weight is important as it will impact final price (freight)...so , can you guys give me your comments on this???

Thanks

Juan

Hi Jlema,

I stay in Singapore and recently i bought a Tennis Tutor Plus without remote from Sports Tutor . There is also no techincal support in Singapore. Yesterday i opened up the machine and realise that the mechanism is relatively simple and if anything breaks down, Sports Tutor will send you the new part and a detailed document how to change the damaged part. Hope that helps in your selection. Do a search in the forum, you will find that Sports Tutor has quite a name in this industry.

Cheers,
Ryan

TennisParent
03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Tennis Tutor or Lobster Elite are reliable and simple to repair machines that I have first hand experience with.

Jlema
03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Thank you, guys.

Have you heard something negative about the wilson portable machine? tennis warehouse.com has it for sale at 895.00

From a first look, i´ve found lobster and t tutor for around 1100, 1200...is it worth the difference?

Thanks

Juan

Cruzer
03-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I have not read many negative comments about any ball machine in the range you are considering. You are probably not going to have much if any problem with a Wilson, Prince, Tennis Tutor, or Lobster. I have a Tennis Tutor 4P and am pleased with it. If you find a machine with the features you want in the price range you are looking for and it is from an experienced manufacturer then it is probably a safe purchase.

simi
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Have you heard something negative about the wilson portable machine?

I have the Wilson machine. It is made by Sports Tutor, the same people who make the Tennis Tutor machines. In fact, I purchased mine from the factory in Burbank, and picked it up in person. The reason for getting the Wilson machine instead a Tennis Tutor is that it has a slightly higher maximum speed and the physical size with under/overspin is smaller than the Tennis Tutor models. It's been a good machine. No complaints. Battery lasts plenty long enough for a good practice session/workout. You might want to check if they can supply you a 220v/50Hz charger instead of a U.S. charger. (I'll check mine tonight when I get home and if it is a dual voltage charger, will reply to this thread indicating so.)

pmata814
03-25-2006, 07:30 PM
:-| Hi Guys,

Thanks

Juan

I've owned the wilson portable with 2-line oscillation for about 2 years now and it's been great (I paid $1,150 at TW). I imagine the one you're looking at for $895 is similiar quality. I've also heard that wilson portables are made by sports tutor, which are supposed to make high quality macines.

simi
03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
I've also heard that wilson portables are made by sports tutor, which are supposed to make high quality macines.

yes (manufactured by Sports Tutor) and yes (they are a high quality machine).

msn
04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
I've got the Wilson with 2-line and remote.

pros: good performance, small size, rugged, good battery life.

cons: somewhat flimsy folding plastic walls of the top 'bucket', no extendable handle makes it hard to roll, limited range on the remote, and default 2-line width is too far for one player to alternate shots.

I recently received a couple of parts from the manufacturer to shorten the angle between the 2 lines. Haven't installed it yet. They were very helpful.

I may install a simple retractable handle for easier rolling as well.

If you don't plan on transporting it too often, it's a good machine.

simi
04-03-2006, 03:12 PM
...no extendable handle makes it hard to roll...

You're right! I forgot about that. It's a real pain. Makes me think the machine was designed for midgets, not tall people. I usually take my wipe-off towel and loop it around the handle and drag the machine by the towel. Sometimes, I just heft the machine by the handle and slowly walk back to the car, bent over on one side due to the dead weight of the thing. Works, but I'd like a real handle similar to the Tennis Tutor models better. Maybe I'll call them, like you did, and see if a Tennis Tutor handle would fit.

I can live with the flimsy foldable ball bin. Just have to be careful, that's all.