PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Gene Scott

Vantage231511
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Gene Scott, former US Top 10 player, court tennis champion, and the founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of Tennis Week magazine.

Gene was one of the first players to ever wield a Wilson T-2000, and used it in 1967 to make it to the semis of what was then the US National Championships (later to become the US Open).

A great player, writer, husband, father and friend.

You will be missed, Gene. God Bless and God Speed...

PBODY99
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Gene Scott would take time to speak to anyone when they came up to him at a tourney. His editorials on the game will be sorely missed.

Marius_Hancu
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Great writer indeed ...

I have one of his books "Tennis: Game of Motion"

Great loss for the community ...

Tennis Week Founder Eugene L. Scott Is Dead At 68
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14969&bannerregion=

tom-selleck
03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
a great loss to the tennis world! my deepest sympathies to the family

NoBadMojo
03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
<snip>
In Memoriam

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, April 1st at 11 a.m. at The Church of the Heavenly Rest, 2 East 90th St. (at 5th Ave.), New York, New York.

The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to The Lucy Foundation, a family foundation with 501(c)3 tax-exempt status. The charity was established to aid organizations and projects devoted to education and recreation, with a specific focus on tennis. Please send donations to: The Lucy Foundation, c/o Tennis Week, 15 Elm Place, Rye, N.Y. 10580.
<end>

wilsonplayer
04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
i attended his funeral today. very nice service where his wife spoke along with very good friends, including john mcenroe and billie jean king. i also attended the reception afterwards and gave my regards to polly (his wife). a really great service for a very great man.