PDA

View Full Version : best sports drink

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
hey,

im not sure whether im posting in the right forum, but anyway...what do you reckon is the most effective sports drink out there? stuff like gatorade, or powerade, or the flavoured waters, like mizone.

thanx

Amone
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
I dunno about effective, but I'm in love with the Propel stuff, specifically I like the grape. It tastes like crap when it's just out of the bottle, but when it's after a run or a practice, it's amazing.

Shinichi
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I love Gatorade ... can't play tennis without it lol

Fuzzless
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
call me scrupulous, but i've always been a bit shaky about artificial sweeteners, and as for gatorade, i'd rather not get "the shakes" from all the sugar. just squeeze lemon or lime into some water, and maybe add a little salt to replenish the sodium lost in sweat.

okay, okay, it's just an idea!!!

exhaleexplode
03-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Thats an easy one! Coffee! Lots of coffee! Just make sure you drink tons of water too!

oscar_2424
03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
i like blue powerade

EclipseRydr97
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
All Sport, I think that's what it's called, taste like carbonated Gatorade, give it a try, you'll love it, not sure if they make anymore tho :confused:

babolat0821
03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
call me scrupulous, but i've always been a bit shaky about artificial sweeteners, and as for gatorade, i'd rather not get "the shakes" from all the sugar. just squeeze lemon or lime into some water, and maybe add a little salt to replenish the sodium lost in sweat.

I agree, there is stuff in gatorade that is not very good for you. I am no health expert but ive heard the high fructose corn syrup is not good for you. Just drink water.

MegacedU
03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Gatorade. Fruit Punch.

oscar_2424
03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
what about frozen lemonade?:)

DRtenniS1112
03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Gawd dang man if gatorade gives you the shakes i can just hope that you never have a beer or a shot HAHAHA!!!

tennisnj
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Hydra Fuel, if you can find it. For me it's much safer on my stomach than Powerade & Gatorade (which I have to cut w/equal amounts of water to stomach it properly). If not, Accelerade which is similar to Hydra Fuel.

JacktheDu
03-23-2006, 06:46 PM
For me, usually 500-700mL of gatorade or powerade. After that, water. It works well for me. I do feel the difference between drinking only gatorade or water. Gatorade does help me to stay focus longer especially after 2 hours of play. If you usually play for around 1 hour to 1.5 hour, you'll probably be fine with water.

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
i play 3 sets every sat morning, i usually go 1 bottle of gatorade/powerade for my singles set, and then follow it up with water for the 2 doubles sets.

imadeulook
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
water!!!!!!!!!!!!

coolblue123
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Moutain Blue Powerade.... I drink a small container of orange concentrated juice. Lots of sugar and potassium. But nothing beats water!

cozmo5050
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
i drink pineapple juice + coconut oil.

Freedom
03-23-2006, 11:00 PM
You're actually supposed to dillute Powerade/Gatorade, 1/2 water, 1/2 'Ade.

I drink water, sometimes Gatorade. Propel is really, really good.

cozmo5050
03-23-2006, 11:08 PM
peter north also recommends pineapple juice and coconut oils

tennisadict
03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
gatorade orange

ssuHeartsRivald
03-24-2006, 02:52 AM
I suggest you to try 'Pocari Sweat' from Japan. For sure this drink not too sweet or sharp taste and nice for your body.

Nuke
03-24-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm surprised the Cytomax people haven't checked in yet.

I fill my bottle with water, ice, a spoon or two of sugar, a pinch of Morton's Lite Salt mixture. There's too much sugar in the commercial products.

man-walking
03-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Thats an easy one! Coffee! Lots of coffee!
That's a doping form

Ben42
03-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Crystal Light with a little Morton's Lite Salt in it. Lite Salt is a mix of potassium chloride and sodium chloride. Gatorade without all the corn syrup.

joe sch
03-24-2006, 06:54 AM

I fill my bottle with water, ice, a spoon or two of sugar, a pinch of Morton's Lite Salt mixture. There's too much sugar in the commercial products.
Correct, Cytomax !
The tour players drink this stuff as do many other endurance athletes including marathoners and ironmaners

jackabee
03-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Taut - the only CLEAN sports drink other than water!

jonolau
03-24-2006, 07:07 AM
I suggest you to try 'Pocari Sweat' from Japan. For sure this drink not too sweet or sharp taste and nice for your body.
But do bear in mind, though. Drinks like Pocari Sweat taste less sweet and gives the perception of having less sugar. However, it replaces sugar with another sweetener that has 40% sweetness intensity of sucrose, but has the same amount of calories and an almost identical glycemic index of sucrose.

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-24-2006, 04:08 PM

i've always thought about trying that but i wasnt sure about it's effectiveness.

Saito
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
peter north also recommends pineapple juice and coconut oils

:lol: :lol:

Saito
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
You're actually supposed to dillute Powerade/Gatorade, 1/2 water, 1/2 'Ade.

I drink water, sometimes Gatorade. Propel is really, really good.

Soooooo..... how about if you use Gatorade powder to make the drink? Because when I follow the mixing instructions on it, the result tastes like what you would buy in store.... Where did you see this "dilluting of the 'ades" information at? I'd like to read more about why. Thanks in advance.

quest01
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I always bring water with me when playing tennis.

doriancito
03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
gatorade cool blue

Skppr05
03-24-2006, 04:37 PM
what about frozen lemonade?:)
thats sounds sooo refreshing, especially after a long hard dyas practice in hot weather

ssuHeartsRivald
03-25-2006, 12:57 AM
But do bear in mind, though. Drinks like Pocari Sweat taste less sweet and gives the perception of having less sugar. However, it replaces sugar with another sweetener that has 40% sweetness intensity of sucrose, but has the same amount of calories and an almost identical glycemic index of sucrose.

Yeah, i can't contest your statement, i got it from Wiki: ingredients listed are water, sugar, flavourings, acids, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium lactate and magnesium carbonate. I don't know if is there one of all ingredients that you meant or not.

It becomes my habit to drink Pocari during sports, Gatorade is so confused with the bunches of taste.

Mr.Federer
03-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Gatorade and water.

tennisnj
03-25-2006, 07:40 AM
If you do a simple Google query as whether or not to dilute Gatorade, you get many different theories. Of course if you go on Gatorade.com, they say absolutely no dilution, however, if you go on many medical & athletic websites, they say quite the contrary b/c Gatorade contains 'too much' of the nutrients one needs to replenish. Again it's personal preference. My stomach/body does not take well to straight Gatorade, I get the worst stomach pains & get nauseous, so I cut it 50/50. Does it make me play better? Absolutely not, but even in the heat of a battle, I can't stomach straight water either. You also don't want to get hyponatremia from drinking too much straight water.

coach
03-25-2006, 08:04 AM
CYTOMAX, um um good. sometimes I'll mix some Accelarade in with it too, but it clumps up more than Cytomax. Accelerade also has some protein in it, if you believe their literature it's supposed to aid in play/recovery.

brucie
03-25-2006, 09:54 AM
What no ones mentioned pure orange juice, or Lucozade

barry
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I usually make my own. For a 1/2 gallon container, add 2 cups of orange juice, 1 cup of tea, and add 2 tsp of salt, fill it with ice and water.

Complete electrolyte.

coach
03-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I usually make my own. For a 1/2 gallon container, add 2 cups of orange juice, 1 cup of tea, and add 2 tsp of salt, fill it with ice and water.

Complete electrolyte.
sounds tasty, ever thought about marketing it? BARRYADE- the elixer of champions! :mrgreen:

cozmo5050
03-27-2006, 02:35 AM
cheapest place to get some cytomax? the stuff is so expensive

Puffdaddy
03-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I would buy some bulk dextrose and maltodextrin and mix them in with some crystal light.

Post match, I'd also recommend a serving of about 80 grams of whey protein for recovery.

Sixpointone
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I usually have both Water and either Gatorade or Powerade with me.

I also like Vitamin Water, and sometimes have that as well.

Freedom
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Soooooo..... how about if you use Gatorade powder to make the drink? Because when I follow the mixing instructions on it, the result tastes like what you would buy in store.... Where did you see this "dilluting of the 'ades" information at? I'd like to read more about why. Thanks in advance.

If you do a simple Google query as whether or not to dilute Gatorade, you get many different theories. Of course if you go on Gatorade.com, they say absolutely no dilution, however, if you go on many medical & athletic websites, they say quite the contrary b/c Gatorade contains 'too much' of the nutrients one needs to replenish. Again it's personal preference. My stomach/body does not take well to straight Gatorade, I get the worst stomach pains & get nauseous, so I cut it 50/50. Does it make me play better? Absolutely not, but even in the heat of a battle, I can't stomach straight water either. You also don't want to get hyponatremia from drinking too much straight water.

Pretty much what tennisnj said- to thin out the amount of nutrients and sugars you dump into your system with straight-up Gatorade. It tastes a little weak (obviously) IMO, but it's definetly not bad.

KickServer
03-27-2006, 11:36 PM
cheapest place to get some cytomax? the stuff is so expensive

It's on sale at GNC right now. 25% off. Got mine for like $16.11 (24 oz).

I'll drink gatorade during light practice, but Cytomax when serious. I don't feel as sore the next day when I drink this stuff.

mctennis
03-28-2006, 09:09 AM
CytoMax sports drink. I liked the orange flavor. I also like Ultima sports powder drink.

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-29-2006, 12:12 AM
i keep hearing cytomax...does anyone know if that stuff is available in oz? also, whats the better citrus fruit for sport: lime or orange? orange obviously coz of the vitamin c, lime coz its got b vitamins and electrolites.

c_zimma
03-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Water. Just plain water. Works for me, and I save alot of money.

eric892
04-04-2008, 06:06 AM
I drink Pocari Sweat

Rafanatic
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Wegmans MVP

Doc Hollidae
04-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Cytomax hands down.

LanEvo
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
i drink diluted gatorade when playing tennis, like 1/3 gatorade, then 2/3 water its a great tasting water with a little flavor

Leelord337
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
i drink diluted gatorade when playing tennis, like 1/3 gatorade, then 2/3 water its a great tasting water with a little flavor

I think thats how Gatorade makes their low calorie/low carb gatorade, G2. That stuff tasted like watered down gatorade. Also I do prefer gatorade watered down...its just tastes like snowcone juice if it isn't...way too sugary.

fastswingVD
04-04-2008, 08:39 PM
cold iced tea

Voltron
04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I drink Cytomax, tons and tons of cytomax.

Kirko
04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
hey,

im not sure whether im posting in the right forum, but anyway...what do you reckon is the most effective sports drink out there? stuff like gatorade, or powerade, or the flavoured waters, like mizone.

thanx

from the old days in tennis. water mixed with orange juice.

Leelord337
04-05-2008, 12:41 AM
from the old days in tennis. water mixed with orange juice.

oh yeah, that is Sooo good.

gocard
04-05-2008, 11:06 AM
My favorite: ice cold water with honey and fresh squeezed lemon juice... give it a try! :)

AmericanTemplar
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I used to drink Cytomax, but now I just drink water--easier to clean out the water bottle & I can refill it at the courts with out having to carry around a tub of powder.

califsurferboy33
04-05-2008, 01:12 PM
propel propel propel propel

tenis
04-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Way tooo many bad ingredients in all sports drinks. Try something more nature. Orange juice, tea, salt, honey, pure water...

dork2tennisstud
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Gatorade (Orange) is my favorite. I don't normally purposely dillute the Gatorade, but usually you're best off alternating Gatorade and water, or if you just have a real light hitting (and therefore don't need/want calories) just go water.

Katlion
04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
SmartWater.

tenis
04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
What is good about smart water?

NoBadMojo
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Correct, Cytomax !
The tour players drink this stuff as do many other endurance athletes including marathoners and ironmaners

i keep hearing cytomax...does anyone know if that stuff is available in oz? also, whats the better citrus fruit for sport: lime or orange? orange obviously coz of the vitamin c, lime coz its got b vitamins and electrolites.

I used to be big on Cytomax. it was introduced to me by a former pro cyclist who is currently an ATP/WTA trainer. It was the only one I can say I noticed a difference when drinking it..it did upset my stomach at times.

Then i discovered Emergen-C. I think it's way better, comes in handy packets and has 1,000mg of VitC along with all kinds of b vitamins which is where you get your energy boost from, and some other nutrients. very low in calories and sugars. It's also inexpensive compared to Cytomax, and now my trainer friend is recommending it

I am also very big on Coconut water for replenishment...more potassium than a banana and matches your body;s chemistry so perfectly, they used to give it intravenously in the Phillipines during the war..this I mix w. vodka apres tennis....dehydrate and rehydrate at the same time, and hope i come up even ;)

meowmix
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm kind of confused with all of these sports drinks. What's in them that get you all hyped up? A lot of peole SWEAR by their gatorade, but I don't think it does anything. Sure, it tastes pretty good, but all that "electrolyte" stuff? Sounds kind of like gimmicks to me.

Leelord337
04-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Urine. 10char.

you must mean vitamin water :)

dman72
04-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Everything you guys keep mentioning is loaded with citric acid to get that sour taste. I perform much better in 3rd sets and beyond with gatorade, but I have to make sure to take it slow, or I'll have to drop a deuce!! I think it's all the acid in that stuff.

k_liu
04-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Recently discovered Emergen-C. Great stuff!!!

ndtennis
04-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Propel is good too

MSL
04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Recently discovered Emergen-C. Great stuff!!!

I don't think Emergen-C is designed to be a sports drink though... The same company makes a electrolyte mix. Try that instead...

-Matt

hotseat
04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Way tooo many bad ingredients in all sports drinks. Try something more nature. Orange juice, tea, salt, honey, pure water...

orange juice would probably be the worst thing you could have, heh. the PH on orange juice can seriously mess you up, especially if you have no food in your system recently.

1337Kira
04-10-2008, 06:42 PM
gatorade cool blue

The best flavor.
I've used Gatorade, OJ, Accelerade and good old water.

boyettrysis
04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
gatorade tiger cool fusion

Leelord337
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
gatorade tiger cool fusion

yes, i bought some at kroger here in houston they had a deal if you bought 10 32 oz gatorades you can save $5 so i got 10 for $5. I have about 60 gatorades. :)

Petekbladetour1
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Here in the uk we have a drink called Taut. It is supposed to be the worlds first clean sports drink. I also like Powerade and Lucozade.

princess bossass
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Water, water, and more water. Sometimes followed by SportLegs.

On occasion I like to add a "bloop" of peppermint oil to my water. Gives it a nice minty zip, plus it's a natural antacid--if you ever get an upset stomach while exercising (which I do, esp. in the heat), peppermint oil is a nice, gentle, effective, natural combatant of heartburn.

When we used to play hockey (badly) in the winter, we would always tote along our patented "sports drink"---hot chocolate spiked with whatever liquor we had on hand.

AlpineCadet
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Water, water, and more water. Sometimes followed by SportLegs.

On occasion I like to add a "bloop" of peppermint oil to my water. Gives it a nice minty zip, plus it's a natural antacid--if you ever get an upset stomach while exercising (which I do, esp. in the heat), peppermint oil is a nice, gentle, effective, natural combatant of heartburn.

When we used to play hockey (badly) in the winter, we would always tote along our patented "sports drink"---hot chocolate spiked with whatever liquor we had on hand.
I hope you aren't underage! :shock:

princess bossass
04-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I hope you aren't underage! :shock:

I'm 29, dear. And bad enough on skates that sobriety never made much of a difference for me. :)

Rule26
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I've found that Gookinaid, which is now is called Hydralyte to be very effective.

tenis
04-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Isn't Hydralite good only at very hot weather? I mean when I used it at easy matches - not too much swetting- I felt "full".

J-lob
04-12-2008, 05:22 AM
anything that keeps my game going

Rule26
04-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Isn't Hydralite good only at very hot weather? I mean when I used it at easy matches - not too much sweating- I felt "full".

That's something to consider with most "energy" drinks - places like REI that cater to outdoor "adventure seekers" - extreme sports tri-athletics / mountain climbing etc. reference these as for there ability to replenish or maintain .. They recommend dosage in anticipation of how much physical energy will be exerted.

Water is the foremost ingredient to consider. While drinking a gallon at a time is unhealthy - it is safer to drink an excess of a few onces more of water than you need than any of these additives. With that said, most dilute the stuff according to anticipated dehydration.

By the way, stacking this stuff is much like staking vitamins which is very unsafe.

I'm not in disagreement with bananas and coconut water either because while they are not "high powered" - they have pretty much enough of everything in moderation that you don't have to spend as much time thinking about ratios.

All these energy "fuels" should all be considered if you were going to be playing throughout the day.

For simple 1-2 hour workouts - most any product that doesn't cheat in its mix with corn syrup-like sugars, imbibed in moderation will work well.

uspta mp
04-12-2008, 06:16 AM
i tried gatorade and it worked fine for me, especially working in the sweltering heat in vegas during the hot summers. i don't live there any more but i just seak from experience