PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the dampener be used on cross strings?

ATXtennisaddict
03-24-2006, 05:39 AM
"The most common violation of the rules seems to involve the vibration dampering device(s). Per ITF Rule 4, any such device should be placed OUTSIDE the patterns of the crossed strings!"

Why's that?

Nuke
03-24-2006, 05:48 AM
That's the rules, dude. But that means you could put dampeners on the crosses at 3 and 9 o'clock, outside the area where the strings cross.

ATXtennisaddict
03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
How does it give anyone an advantage playing the dampeners touching the crosses, that's what I want to know.

Cruzer
03-24-2006, 11:34 AM
How does it give anyone an advantage playing the dampeners touching the crosses, that's what I want to know.

The dampener can touch the bottom cross or the top cross if you chose to put a dampener at the head of the racquet. It just can't be inside the string bed. There is no playing advanatge to having a dampener touch the crosses.

Jess
03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
The dampener can touch the bottom cross or the top cross if you chose to put a dampener at the head of the racquet. It just can't be inside the string bed. There is no playing advanatge to having a dampener touch the crosses.
Actually, I think for the smaller logo-type damps, touching the bottom cross string helps dampen a bit more. I have a pack of the Wilson Vibra-Fun damps (the one with the American flag and a heart, if it matters) and I tried putting it on without it touching the cross string at first, then I tried putting it on with it touching the cross string as much as possible and the second time seemed to work better. It dampens more since it touches the stringbed a bit more. And since logo-type damps don't dampen much compared to the worm-types, I prefer it touching the bottom cross.

Deuce
03-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Yes, the cable grommet I use dampens more when fit snugly against the bottom cross string.

As to what advantage there could be to placing the vibrazorb device inside the string pattern... for one, the ball could hit it, causing the ball to travel in a very unpredictable direction. Granted, this could work in one's favor just as easily as it can cause the ball to land outside of the lines - but perhaps that is one reason for the rule.

Saito
03-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, the cable grommet I use dampens more when fit snugly against the bottom cross string.

As to what advantage there could be to placing the vibrazorb device inside the string pattern... for one, the ball could hit it, causing the ball to travel in a very unpredictable direction. Granted, this could work in one's favor just as easily as it can cause the ball to land outside of the lines - but perhaps that is one reason for the rule.

Yeah, that really does sound like that is the reason... basically trying to keep it a fair match, sans any advantage for either player.