PDA

View Full Version : Is The Yonex RDX 500 Mid Really Too Flexy?

KennyNguyen
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I want to buy this racquet and would have already if not for the so many conflicted views of the knowledgable people here. A lot of people say it is great for serving (TW Review) and a lot of people say it lacks power while serving. Now people (adely) even say that it lacks control in serving Some people say it is a little too powerful on groundstrokes (Shaolin) and some say it is a powerless piece of crap (NoBadMojo). I'm so confused! All the other mids available are stiff and this one is flexible, so, if the RDX was eliminated from my choices, the others wouldn't be so hard to choose from. Anyway, thanks for voting.

stevewcosta
03-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Ti-80 is better (although not great). RDX was terrible.

Saito
03-25-2006, 12:24 PM
It does seem so..... it's why I didn't pick it.....

samster
03-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Kenny:

Everyone is going to have different say about any particular racket. What works well for you may not be so great for me, and vice versa. The Yonex RDX 500 Mid is a control-oriented, low powered racket that is more suited to people with long, smooth, fast swings. The beam is thin ~18 to 20 mm and it is one of the more flexible rackets available. You will need to supply the power but trying to muscle it will not get you the results. Again, long/smooth/fast swings are key. I have both the Mid and the MP and you definitely cannot be lazy with the Mid (you can get away more with the MP). It is also very sensitive to string type and tension. I used gut on it at low tension and I am happy with it.

On the serve, it is easier to hit slice/kickers than for flat serves. My Mids are not modified like Adely's with lead. I am using the MP these days because I serve better with it (the MP has a slightly thicker beam). But I think the Mid has better feel and control. The Mid also returns better for some reason. I would recommend demo or buying one used to try it out. I got my MP used from this forum for $85 and that's my stick now!

armand
03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Perhaps it depends on how hard you hit. The harder you hit, the more it will flex. However, it's a paradox because if you don't hit that hard, you don't really need a low powered frame like the RDX. Groundstrokes are good for me though.

NoBadMojo
03-25-2006, 01:50 PM
[quote=KennyNguyen]some say it is a powerless piece of crap (NoBadMojo). quote]

I never said this...you're just making stuff up

Kevo
03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Sometimes I don't think it is flexible enough. I really like that flexy feeling, but I've only recreated it with a small selection of strings. I recently tried Wilson Sensation 17 in it, and I thought it was great. Of course it only lasted 3.5 hours. If you can, demo one, but your choice of string can make quite a difference. I don't actually care for gut too much in mine. I find it too powerful and hard to control. I like FXP, Yonex 850, Powergy, and most any softer or thinner syn gut works pretty well too.

As far as serving goes, my serves are turning out to be great with this stick. The trick for me is the toss. I can generate plenty of racquet head speed, I just have to make sure my toss is a little out in front. Too close to me and the serve starts to falter. Oh, and it has plenty of power. I don't know how anyone says it has no power. I guess if you don't actually like to swing your racquet you might have trouble, but otherwise it's got plenty of pop.

EliteNinja
03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Try it out for yourself.
Every other racquet is just too stiff, I'd say.

milo
03-26-2006, 08:54 AM
demo it. and feel it for yourself. try to find the best racket for your game.