PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow is gone....

oiler90
03-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Made a post about this a few weeks ago. Thanks to all those who gave their input. Here the formula that finally worked for me. #1: Teaching left handed as much as I could. I'm a teaching pro and I fed about 50% of my lessons left handed to give that right elbow as much as possible. #2: Lowered my string tension by more than 10#. Sounds crazy, but had to do it for the arm's sake. #3: Strung racquet w/ Natural Gut. #4: Went to 3/8 grip size, down from 1/2.

Now that my arm is healthy again, I am totally amazed that I have not had to increase my string tension back up to the low-to-mid 50's range that I had previously been. My current set up is NXT Tour in the mains @ 45; Enduro Pro in the crosses @ 44. POSITIVELY, ABSOLUTELY NO LOSS OF SPIN OR CONTROL with this set up. I am amazed. Truly amazed. Makes me wonder how many players out there are stringing too tight....????

Marius_Hancu
03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Looks great.

I'd still suggest just for lessons a more flexible, 16x19, about 340g, racquet. That 6.1 95 is pretty stiff.

I am not surprised by the fact you didn't lose control. 18x20s offer lots of control even at low tensions. And might have underestimated your touch.

BTW, try the continental for feeding. It helps in terms of TE.

Grimjack
03-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Made a post about this a few weeks ago. Thanks to all those who gave their input. Here the formula that finally worked for me. #1: Teaching left handed as much as I could. I'm a teaching pro and I fed about 50% of my lessons left handed to give that right elbow as much as possible. #2: Lowered my string tension by more than 10#. Sounds crazy, but had to do it for the arm's sake. #3: Strung racquet w/ Natural Gut. #4: Went to 3/8 grip size, down from 1/2.

Now that my arm is healthy again, I am totally amazed that I have not had to increase my string tension back up to the low-to-mid 50's range that I had previously been. My current set up is NXT Tour in the mains @ 45; Enduro Pro in the crosses @ 44. POSITIVELY, ABSOLUTELY NO LOSS OF SPIN OR CONTROL with this set up. I am amazed. Truly amazed. Makes me wonder how many players out there are stringing too tight....????

Kudos on getting healthy and enjoying the game again. Glad you figured out a solution.

mislav
03-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Marius, where do you put the limit on racquets being too stiff? May not be a definite number, perhaps in terms of range?

oiler90
03-26-2006, 07:36 PM
In terms of stiffness, I've found that there is more potential damage waiting around the corner for those changing back and forth too many times from one racquet to another; rather than worrying too much about using one that is labeled as "stiff". That's what happened to me. As far as the grip goes, in the 30+ years I've spent as a USPTA Teaching Pro, I've never used any grip except continental for feeding balls. Thanks to all who helped.

scotus
03-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Oiler90,

What's your reasoning behind reducing your grip size? Was it simply too big for you, or is there a new finding that goes against conventional wisdom?

Thanks.

tennissavy
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
You can use an extremely stiff racquet if it has O ports, sweetspot suspension grommets or powerholes. Those technologies really soften the stringbed and make for comfortable hitting, yet are powerful and have huge sweetspots. I just used my hornet mp for three sets today and enjoyed the comfort. BTW, it has a stiffness level of 75!

Galactus
03-27-2006, 02:32 AM

Good stuff!
I started to string my ProStaff 85" with the Wilson NXT Tour 17 Multifilament throughout at 60lb and my problems have all but disappeared: I get zero elbow ache/pain during a match but a slight ache for 24-48 hours after.
And that's it.

I have a pack of Babolat VS Nat-Team Gut 17 which I'm going to use on my next restring in a week or two and see the effects of that.

astra
03-27-2006, 03:41 AM

It is good you have your elbow fit again. One thing is suprising for me - you went to smaller grip and it helped? I switched to an arm friendly racquet (LMP+) and feel a little pain in elbow - head 4 1/2 is smaller than wilson 4 1/2 - I have to add overgrip to make it comfortable for my elbow.

mislav
03-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Marius, where do you put the limit on racquets being too stiff? May not be a definite number, perhaps in terms of range?
Ahem, Marius? May I have an answer to this? Pretty please? :)

hiltonhead
03-27-2006, 06:04 AM
It is good you have your elbow fit again. One thing is suprising for me - you went to smaller grip and it helped? I switched to an arm friendly racquet (LMP+) and feel a little pain in elbow - head 4 1/2 is smaller than wilson 4 1/2 - I have to add overgrip to make it comfortable for my elbow.
Astra - I have just gone from Ki 5 5/8 to LMP+ 1/2 and recently bumped my tension on 2nd LMP+ racquet from 53 to 56 and NOW notice elbow tenderness when I play consecutive days of 3 set matches. I can't believe the 1/8 reduction is the cause. It seems to have occurred after bump in tension. The LMP+ is "flexy" for sure, but arm friendly? I'm perplexed on this. Using RAB Sensor Fibre 16 which is awesome arm friendly string. Is your LMP+ with larger grip feeling better?

astra
03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Hiltonhead,
based on the Marius list (I consider it competent), a LMP+ is arm friendly.
I switched from Wilson HPS 5.0 (good but too stiff) to LMP+ only 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I hit a careless bump slightly behind the body during practice and felt immediately a little tension in elbow (I had bad TE a few months ago). My initial diagnosis is a small grip (Head 41/2 is considerably smaller than previous Wilson 41/2). I am going to take a few day rest and will play this weekend again. I will try to add the second overgrip, hope it will help. Than I will keep this forum posted with results. I have to confess to using of Poly strings for more than 10 yrs (actually Plasma 16g, 56 lbs).
If the additional grip does not work, I am willing to give up poly strings for this racquet. LMP+ suits my "flat" game and power well.
It is slightly more head heavy than Wilson HPS 5.0, perhaps it is only a question of a time to settle.

astra
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Today I intensive hit 30 min against the wall and feel no pain in elbow. Great feeling! I used the same grip as 5 days ago (original grip + a ProsPro overgrip). It seems my hand is getting used to a LMP+. Anyway, I will add one more thin overgrip.
Curiously, the second LMP+ is good enough with one (Prospro) overgrip.