PDA

View Full Version : Feel vs. Consistency / Fun vs. Practical

DURICA533
03-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I have been playing with the ROK for 2 years. As with all Pro Staffs, when you hit the center, DAMN it feels good!

I have been demoing the Volkl 10VE. Nothing would go out! Even really bad mishits, found their way in!

The only problem is the Volkl didn't feel as fun to hit with as the ROK but it was way more consistent.

Am I going through a 'honeymoon' period? ...or is this the end of my playing days with the ROK?

What would you do? ....Feel vs. Consistency ...Fun vs. Practical

Gabs011
03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Great post. I know exactly where you are coming from. I always find that when moving from one racket to another there is always a trade off. Your stuck between ROK vs. Volkl 10VE..... I am stuck between Pro Staff Tour 90 vs. Fischer M Speed Pro No. 1 98.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7240/tennisstuff0098qd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Fischer is unbelievably maneuverable and is a dream to play with. It is so easy to find the sweetspot and is really easy on the arm.

Meanwhile, with the PS Tour 90 you really struggle with the weight sometimes. It is cumbersome yes, but similarly to your comments when you hit the sweetspot it so difficult to put into words just how sweet that feeling is. I would say, right now, 3 days out of 4 I would play better with the Fischer yet on the 4th day with the PS Tour 90 I would play unbelievable tennis that I have never experienced with any other racket.

My one piece of advice is to somehow decide which is better for you and stick with for as long as you can. I find that when switching rackets regularly I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Since I play tennis 5 days out of 7 a week I really need to find that one special racket and stick with it. It Looks like that will be the PS Tour 90.

More specifically in your situation, I believe my PS Tour 90 is like your ROK. I am more consistent with the Fischer yet the feel of the PS Tour 90, just like your ROK, is magnificent. I suggest you stick with the ROK, if anything you will improve by forcing yourself to become more consistent with it.

Regards

jasonbourne
03-26-2006, 06:07 AM
I think you're in honeymoon period. Perhaps you should demo more frames. Once trials are done, determine which of the new racquets fulfill the void your ROK currently does provide and weigh the pros-n-cons between realizing the differences. If the differences of the new racquet do not outweigh or provide you more tennis pleasure than the ROK, then stick with your current racquet.

Grimjack
03-26-2006, 06:26 AM
"Which racquet questionairre"

1) Do you play tennis for a living? (If yes, select the racquet that allows you to defeat the most people, and ignore the rest of the questionairre. If no, move on to #2.)

2) Which is more important to your enjoyment of the game of tennis: (A) winning as often as possible; (B) the experience of playing the game; (C) looking cool. (If A, then select the racquet that allows you to defeat the most people -- do this by trial and error; it's the only way. If B, then select the racquet that allows you to enjoy the experience of playing the most. If C, then select the racquet you find coolest. There is no right answer here -- be honest with yourself.)

End of questionairre. It doesn't take a lifetime of monastic tennis meditation to know that the racquet you should play with is the racquet you want to play with. Anybody can become a very good player with any racquet out there.

Only if you dedicate your entire life to tennis will the impact of the racquet become noteworthy. Till then, work on your game will pay far bigger dividends than equipment selection. Once your physical capacity is at 100% of its potential, then and only then will equipment begin to make a meaningful difference. For most people, this will never become a concern.

bluegrasser
03-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Grimjack- good post, I liked that..

tpduke112
03-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Grimjack's post is soo true.

Pomeranian
03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I completely agree, people seem to think frames are the handicap or strings. Excuse after excuse, strings are too tight, this frame is too heavy. How about, you need to work on getting more topspin and getting a rhythm instead of bashing the cover of the ball off. Racquets and strings compliment your game, not make it. Unless you're a very high level player, it doesn't make much of a difference.

I like the Yonex RDX 500. Has a real nice feel to it.

DURICA533
03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
You guys have responded wonderfully....! especially Gabs and Grimjack. Really nice to hear.

I have considered these options you've presented for awhile and its nice to hear messaging reaffirming my thoughts.

Grimjack: so brutal and yet so true. Words couldn't come from anywhere else but from someone lives in a tells-it-like-it-is town. I was born and raised there for my first 28 years of life. Good stuff.

Gabs: Yes! That indescribeable feeling from that Wilson racket... oh man!!! Somehow you just want to pick up that racket again and find that feeling over and over!

Overall: No, I don't earn a living from tennis so IT IS about enjoyment for me. This morning I went out to hit with both rackets. DAMN, that feeling I get from the ROK!!! Love it. It will sculpt me. It will shape me into a better player. The Volkl, although very consistent felt "vanilla".

Kinda of interesting that what I may be saying here is what I may be feeling about my life right now. Sometimes it gets too hard and YOU JUST WANT THE BALL TO GO IN! When I prepare and follow through with my long swing I am rewarded with that feeling and consistency. But sometimes, it gets hard too climb up that mountain every day.

But that's life. It is what it is.

Chime in if you have other opinions.

rocket
03-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Kinda of interesting that what I may be saying here is what I may be feeling about my life right now. Sometimes it gets too hard and YOU JUST WANT THE BALL TO GO IN! When I prepare and follow through with my long swing I am rewarded with that feeling and consistency. But sometimes, it gets hard too climb up that mountain every day.

Which means that your search is not over yet. There should be one stick out there that'll give you both feel & consistency. Keep hitting with the Volkl so your tennis doesn't suffer & keep looking for one that'll bring you back that tingling sensation. :cool:

Zverev
03-26-2006, 01:04 PM
nice posts...same story here
can outhit anyone in my division with Cat 10, just staying on the baseline and feeding varying topspins to their backhand..no satisfaction in it.
It's more work with 200g or PS 7.1, early prep, etc, but so much more enjoyable, and so much more variety, better angles, slices, S/V, and when you hit sweetspot time after time after time - that good feeling of job well done...and so much more workout - as a matter of fact that's another reason to Grimjack list of reasons of playing tennis - enjoyable workout!

anirut
03-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, the ROK feels better and hits more solid than the T10VE Mid. And the PS Tour 90? I always revert back to using it along with my Dunlop Revelation Tour.

DURICA533
03-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Tried the FXP Prestige mid today. Nice stick. Gets more spin than the ROK. But there is definitely more hoop mass on the FXP than the ROK.

ROK still feels better and I have more control.

With the FXP I was hitting deeper with more penetration, but not as consistent.

I am going to add weight to the ROK in similar fashion to the FXP, see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Maybe the holy grail of rackets isn't out there. It takes a little bit of adjusting to the racket and having the racket adjustments made to your game. this very much seems like race car driving. More torque (power) here then you sacrifice control there. etc, ad nauseum.