PDA

View Full Version : Player frames

drop shot
03-25-2006, 10:29 PM
What seems odd to me is how some guys would never be caught dead using anything other than a "players" frame even though it really doesn't suit their game at all. For them it would be a fate worse than death to be seen using a sub- 12 oz frame. I have also heard that one should use the heaviest frame that they can comfortably swing. One of our local teaching pros uses a Head ti.s6 frame that weighs MAYBE 9 oz strung. He is 29 years old 6ft 4 and weighs probably 220 lbs. When he was asked about this he just replied that he was given the racuet as a demo and just liked it so much he kept using it. What are your thoughts about the player frame snobbery that seems to be so prevalent in todays club players?

snoflewis
03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
players play best w/ the racket they like. everybody is different. you can have a club player using a heavy racket, but he can at the same time be naturally athletic, have good hand-eye coordination, and be strong enough to maneuver it. also, some players just aren't interested in rackets and just use w/e they can as long as the ball goes in. basically...it depends on the person, but you shouldnt worry too much about it...

slice backhand
03-25-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't think that he was worrying about it just asking a question.

BreakPoint
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I guess you must have missed the "heated" discussions on this same topic in this other monster thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87081

Ljubicic for number1
03-26-2006, 02:24 AM
All I can say is your local teaching pro is a bit of a Pus"y!!!!!!!! to use a girls frame like that.

Just kidding of course!!!!! Whatever you like to play with is best.

vinnier6
03-26-2006, 06:00 AM
i have a friend who is a teaching pro, and he uses a power frame when giving lessons because he doesnt have to take big cuts at the ball to return them...but he uses a heavy frame whenever he plays...

Marius_Hancu
03-26-2006, 06:32 AM
playing with heavy racquets is also about the protection they offer

check this thread (Predrag is a teaching pro; he thinks that a heavy frame will protect him during long lessons)

Tennis Elbow
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41675

There's lots of variety amongs the teachings pros. I see some of them in Montreal using 6.1 90, people in their 50s, teaching the whole day. Guess they don't care that much about fashion ...

Also, see here the recommendations by the docs at the French Federation; now, those guys certainly know something about arm problems:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

rocket
03-26-2006, 06:53 AM
One of our local teaching pros uses a Head ti.s6 frame that weighs MAYBE 9 oz strung. He is 29 years old 6ft 4 and weighs probably 220 lbs.

If one feeds balls all day long, then a light, oversized frame makes sense, but if one plays serious tennis & hits hard, the feather light stick won't do any good.

bluegrasser
03-26-2006, 07:10 AM
dropshot: Snobbery?? Nah, it's what makes the player happy and if it's a 85" PS, then party on. I hit with an 03 red 105" stiffer frame, but missed the feel and control of a players frame, so now I'm playing with a Prestige frame. Do I have less power? a smaller sweetspot etc..yes, but I'm enjoying the game more, then again tennis is always about the social element for me, no great tour aspirations -how's that for a run/on sentence.

jaykay
03-26-2006, 07:40 AM
I agree with Vinner6 and Rocket's post. I suspect that the teaching pro might switch to a diff frame if he/she is playing matches.

Furthermore, while I am aware that this topic has been beaten to death before, I tend to believe that some on this forum wouldn't be caught dead playing with a beginner/tweener stick since for them, you need to wield a 'player's stick' in order to be a 'player' (whatever that means).

I do agree with Marius' (nth) post that a heavier (higher static wt), head-light stick is better for the arm, and I say so from personal experience.

Moral of the story: play with whatever you think suits you best. If you are unsure, read thru the blogs on this forum, esply the posts from knowledgeable contributors and/or take help from your local pro. As a postscript, I just wanted to mention that I recently traded my Flexpoint 4 with a Flexpoint Instinct, with a person who plays much better than me (he is a 5.0) and the FP4 is doing wonders to his s&v game. How about that?

Cheers,
jaykay.
NTRP 4.0, all-court player
Flexpoint Instinct / iRadical OS
Prince Original Synthetic Gut 17g at 59lbs (on both sticks)

bismark
03-26-2006, 07:56 AM
What seems odd to me is how some guys would never be caught dead using anything other than a "players" frame even though it really doesn't suit their game at all. For them it would be a fate worse than death to be seen using a sub- 12 oz frame.
Well, just let them be. It's their choice anyway. Maybe a handful of them will swallow their pride and switch to something more practical when they get sick of losing game after game.

frekcles
03-29-2006, 07:46 AM
What seems odd to me is how some guys would never be caught dead using anything other than a "players" frame even though it really doesn't suit their game at all. For them it would be a fate worse than death to be seen using a sub- 12 oz frame. I have also heard that one should use the heaviest frame that they can comfortably swing.

I'm probably a 3.0 and admit to using heavier player's frames. It's not that I want to look cool or am embarassed to use a tweener. I'd use one in a heartbeat if I find one that has the weight of a player's stick. I like the heft of the player's racquet. Even though I have a hard time swinging them and most of the time miss the sweetspot. I like the weight, the plow-through factor, and my arm doesn't hurt so much after playing unlike with the lighter-weight racquets. I don't mind losing all the games I play. I'm building up to a better game and am using a heavier player's stick in the process. Is there something wrong with me?:confused:

JediMindTrick
03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
What seems odd to me is how some guys would never be caught dead using anything other than a "players" frame even though it really doesn't suit their game at all. For them it would be a fate worse than death to be seen using a sub- 12 oz frame. I have also heard that one should use the heaviest frame that they can comfortably swing. One of our local teaching pros uses a Head ti.s6 frame that weighs MAYBE 9 oz strung. He is 29 years old 6ft 4 and weighs probably 220 lbs. When he was asked about this he just replied that he was given the racuet as a demo and just liked it so much he kept using it. What are your thoughts about the player frame snobbery that seems to be so prevalent in todays club players?

So your teaching pro uses a 9 oz racquet and the ATP pros use 12 - 13 oz racquets. Hmm, I wonder who knows better. I am totally confused.