PDA

View Full Version : Mixing gut with synthetics - Help!

katarddx
06-21-2004, 04:23 PM
All right guys, I need some help here...I want to mix Babolat VS and some durable synthetics to save some money. I love to play with gut solo but can't afford it...So, should I use Natural gut as cross strings or mains? Some people say crosses, other are leaninig toward the mains saying that with Natura gut in the place of mains will give the most of the touch. Please elaborate, any help is appreciated. And please write why you think that way, too.
Thanks

Smashlob
06-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Natural gut in any cross-string is wasted IMO. You should definitely use the VS in the mains and then use a soft (Superfine Play or OG Micro) string in the crosses. You should lose very little this way over a full-gut job.

Eug
06-21-2004, 07:08 PM
String the gut in the crosses. Why? Because you said you wanted to save money...you can get 2 string jobs worth by putting gut in crosses. If you put gut in mains you might not have a long enough string to put in a second racquet for the mains. Mains are the strings that break so put synthetics in there to slow down the breakage. This is from the cost effective point of view.

finchy
06-21-2004, 07:40 PM
to counter Eug's post, u basically get no feel with gut in the crosses though. so u might as well play with a soft string to begin with.

Steve Huff
06-21-2004, 08:33 PM
If you want it to feel most like gut, put it in the mains. String the crosses at a lower tension than the mains (about 5% or 3-4#). Since the cross strings are shorter than the mains, and synthetic is less elastic than gut, you need a lower tension in the crosses to allow the gut to stretch at its rate without being limited by the synthetic. If you put gut in the crosses, you'll basically soften up the main string, but it would still play mostly like whatever you have in the mains.