PDA

View Full Version : what makes the babolat PD special (good/bad)?

tom-selleck
03-26-2006, 11:10 AM
i am looking at the great $$$$ specials out there on the LM Radical MP and the 2 TW testers (out of 5 or 6) who subsequently switched to the racquet (that's an amazing endorsement).

but i've played with the babolat PD and it seems like alot of the parameters are fairly similar (i had a hard time keeping the ball in with the PD) ... please go easy, i'm not an expert and i don't have the numbers in front of me. but it struck me that most of the parameters were "reasonably similar"

what would be the key difference(s) in the racquet? i'm thinking stiffness for one (although i understand stiffness ratings are all over the place - people do seem to agree that the babolat PD is very stiff).

thanks very much in advance for any help! it is very much appreciated and i may buy one this week.

tom-selleck
03-26-2006, 11:31 AM
sorry, i may not have made it clear enough.

i just want to compare babolat PD with LM radical MP... i know about the different between PD and heavier, head light racquets.

thanks again!!

tom-selleck
03-26-2006, 12:08 PM
also, i realize 18x20 vs. 16x18.... and the weight/SW are somewhat different.

i do have a IRadical OS, so i think i now understand the difference... the power difference between babolat PD and IRadical OS is pretty big.

300Gkid
03-26-2006, 02:53 PM
well your right the babolat is much more stiff very prone to causing arm issues. It has much more power than the radical does, more of a tweener while the radical is a lightish players racquet.

tom-selleck
03-26-2006, 03:33 PM
300G, thanks....

AndrewD
03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
tom,
As you say, stiffness if the primary factor. However, despite the LM Radical MP being a more flexible racquet I found it considerably less comfortable than the PD standard. A few sets with it and my wrist, arm and shoulder ached. Conversely, I've played quite a number of times with the PD standard and had no problems whatsoever. We're all different so you'd have to judge how you handle each frame. Regardless, the stiffness will give you a bit more power (plus a boost from the Woofer System) but, naturally, a bit less control. No racquet is too powerful, only too powerful for you. So choose which one best suits your capabilities.

The other main difference between the two - in terms of specs- is the lower swingweight on the PD. While that does have its advantages it might not suit your natural swing speed (although it does allow you to generate more racquet head speed to apply spin and control the power).

You'll find the Babolat Pure Storm (98 sq, 11oz,3pts HL.Swingweight: 326,
Stiffness:64) a far closer match to the LM Radical MP than the PD standard. Again, in my opinion, the Pure Storm is a much better racquet than the LM Rad, due to increased comfort (lacks the tinny feel of the LM range).

galain
03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
What Andrew D said. I've hit with both, and although I didn't really care for the feel of the PD it never ruined my elbow like the LM Radical did. If anything I thought the Bab was the more solid of the two. If you want to blow people off the court and you have enough skill to keep the ball in play with this frame, it'll help you a lot.