PDA

View Full Version : Comparable to Vantage

thinktowin
03-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Has anyone played with the 100, 63flex, 27", 12 oz. Vantage over an extended period of time? I'm very curious about how this frame serves compared to a PD or n6.1 95. Thanks for any insight.

BLiND
03-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Sorry I've played with the 90" & both 95", but not the 100"... there are some on here which have them I think.

What I will say though, is I'd guess the PD would be stiffer than the 63 flex Vantage.

Grimjack
03-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Didn't try the 100", but tried the 95's with the 63 flex out, and have tried out a number of other frames over the years.

There are frames that I feel give a very solid, almost power-boosting response, and some of these would include the PD, the n6.1, and the Dunlop 300 series sticks, for example.

And then there are those that are very much you-get-out-of-it-what-you-put-into-it frames. Some players feel they are "underpowered," some don't. The Prestiges, the Volkl 10 series frames, the PS 6.0's.

For me, the feel of the Vantage with the 63 flex was very much in this second camp. If you've got a good, solid serve, it isn't going to do anything to hold you back. But if losing a couple mph is going to hurt you, powerwise, then this kind of racquet probably isn't your bag.

BLiND
03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Hmmm while I certianly agree its not a power racquet, I can generate a fair bit of pace with mine, as I string it low with Luxi hybrid.

counterpuncher
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Hmmm while I certianly agree its not a power racquet, I can generate a fair bit of pace with mine, as I string it low with Luxi hybrid.
Have to agree here, my serve is not my greatest strength by a longshot, but with a poly hybrid (K-Boom / X1 biophase at 58lbs) I would say that my 27", 100", 320g, 10HL, 63 flex, unstrung Vantage gives me more pace than my RDS 001 and Slazenger X-1 and somewhere between the pace of the O3 White and DNX 8 that I demoed the other day.

monologuist
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I have experience with a similar spec Vantage, except mine was 27.25" long.

I would rate this frame as being on the high end of the power spectrum for its flex and weight. But it depends on how fast you can swing it and how good your technique is... Assuming you can swing it fast and still maintain control of placement, and have good footwork and mechanics:

1. On flat serves I would rate it on par with the Wilson Nsix one 95 or Head LM Prestige MP....to me this would rate a slight notch lower than a Babolat Pure Drive or similar racquet, but definitely amongst the most power of 12 oz. + frames....you can really hit some bombs with this thing.
2. On kickserves and slice serves, I would rate its power as being higher than the Pure Drive, b/c mass in the head tends to really help the depth and pace of spin serves...again assuming you can swing it fast and with good technique...it might give you a tad less actual kick, but the forward pace will be greater than a P.D. type racquet here....I'd say kickserves were amongst the most impressive aspects of this frame; probably the best overall of any frame I've tried (around the level of the Yonex MP Tour-5).

You can tap into a quite a bit of power in a Vantage of this spec, especially if you string it with something powerful like a gut hybrid, and you keep the tension around the midpoint (58) or below. It is defintiely still a control-oriented racquet, but I put it towards the very top of the power spectrum within this category...in fact the reason I left this frame was to search for omething with greater control...which I found luckily.

thinktowin
03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all the help. Could anyone compare it to a PK 5g?