PDA

View Full Version : Attention: All O3 White Users/ Demo-ers

srvnvly
03-27-2006, 04:50 AM
In Tennis Magazine's racquet review issue, they state that the O3 White is a great racquet yada, yada, yada, but that advance players had trouble generating topspin. Has anyone also experienced this? Just curious, it's almost demo season here in the northern plains. Thanks for your feedback!

bluegrasser
03-27-2006, 05:08 AM
No, how could a 100" stick with an open pattern not create enough topspin, some of Tennis mag's reviews are *B* as in boy, *S* as in Sam - TW's are much better IMO.

jonolau
03-27-2006, 06:08 AM
Just took receipt of a brand new demo O3 white for my wife. I'm taking it out for a spin tomorrow if the weather holds up. Will let you know how it fares on spin generation ...

Bluegrasser, just to clarify - doesn't an open pattern help more in spin generation as compared to a dense pattern?

bluegrasser
03-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Yes, Open pattern = better spin generation.

jonolau
03-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks, bluegrasser. Will let you know how the outing turns out!

luke_1983uk
03-27-2006, 07:17 AM
ive gone from a tt hornet to the O3 white and generating top spin for me has been no problem at all, i love this racket glad i made the switch, the only trouble i am having at the moment is trying to keep the speed down, the racket has much more power then the hornet, but i am starting to definently get used to it now, i would definently recommend this racket

AndrewD
03-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Definately makes me wonder what Tennis magazine equates to 'an advanced player'.

Seriously though, Im a good, average club player (4.0-4.5?) who hits predominantly flat (my biggest weakness) and, with the 03 White, I had little trouble creating spin, either top or slice. My girlfriend, a beginner, used one during her tennis lessons and she was able to generate quite good topspin. So, if a flat-ball hitter and a beginner can do it, you'd think any advanced player would have little trouble.

Yes, there are other racquets that are more spin friendly (the APD is one) but the White won't short-change you in that department. Actually, I found it to offer a nice balance between your average lighter and larger racquet that requires spin and one that allows you to drive the ball with confidence.

The one thing you might like to keep in mind as you demo the 03 White is that there are two available throat grommets. TW has mentioned that, in their upcoming review of the White, they will provide comments and scores for the both grommet sets.

Pancho
03-27-2006, 07:36 AM
In Tennis Magazine's racquet review issue, they state that the O3 White is a great racquet yada, yada, yada, but that advance players had trouble generating topspin. Has anyone also experienced this? Just curious, it's almost demo season here in the northern plains. Thanks for your feedback!

I disagree with Tennis magazine. OK, in comparison: O3 Tour does have create topspins than O3 white but that that doesn't mean White does not. It just means O3 white create slight less topspin, but they shouldn't knock O3 down. Tennis magazine should have another review on this stick.

I can generate a lot of heavy topspin with O3 white on the baseline. It is a great stable and comfortable stick. I usually like to hit hard flat shots. With this stick, even flat shots has some topspin that safely clears the net.

Samantha Stosur (current #1 womens' doubles player in the world) uses the stick along with Sharapova. BTW, Sharapova now hits with more topspin even though she loves hitting those hard flat shots. Her shots as you have seen in Nasdaq 100 open now clears way over the net instead of her past shots where it clears just an inch over the net. Sharpova's game has improved with this stick.

sureshs
03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
I disagree with Tennis magazine. OK, in comparison: O3 Tour does have create topspins than O3 white but that that doesn't mean White does not. It just means O3 white create slight less topspin, but they shouldn't knock O3 down. Tennis magazine should have another review on this stick.

I can generate a lot of heavy topspin with O3 white on the baseline. It is a great stable and comfortable stick. I usually like to hit hard flat shots. With this stick, even flat shots has some topspin that safely clears the net.

Samantha Stosur (current #1 womens' doubles player in the world) uses the stick along with Sharapova. BTW, Sharapova now hits with more topspin even though she loves hitting those hard flat shots. Her shots as you have seen in Nasdaq 100 open now clears way over the net instead of her past shots where it clears just an inch over the net. Sharpova's game has improved with this stick.

Not with THIS stick. But something similar. Her stick is longer and she has more strings (from the pj stories on this site).

thbat
03-27-2006, 10:29 AM
The White is a very good racket, very comfortable to hit with. I also saw the review and have to disagree. When I tried it a few weeks back, spin on the White seems similar to my old racket if not better. Maybe because I feel that I can generate more racket speed with it.

That being said, I also tried the hybrid hornet, liked it better than the White, and bought it instead.

Pancho
03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Not with THIS stick. But something similar. Her stick is longer and she has more strings (from the pj stories on this site).

Samantha Stosur uses a O3 White and she seems to be doing well with that stick. Regardless, O3 White still creates topspin although not as much as O3 Tour.

Freedom
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
EVERY racquet can generate topspin.

dsutanty
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
How good is this O3 White compare to Diablo?
DS

Alexandros
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
My dad uses an O3 White and I've hit with it a few times. I had no problem generating spin, in fact I would say it's quite an easy racquet to get spin from. I play with a semi western forehand, open stance.

jonolau
03-28-2006, 05:04 AM
I am very pleasantly surprised with this racquet! I took it out for 2.5 hours on the courts today, and these are my views:

Baseline rallies: It felt very solid, good pop and had tons of power on flat bombs. It was also quite effortless in generating spin, but took a bit of adjustment as my first few shots kept going long.

Volleys: Personally I didn't really like it and felt that it didn't offer as much control at the net as it took more effort to get the strings to bite the ball. Also had too much power and not enough finesse for my liking on volleys.

Serves: What can I say? Great! I had no problem hitting big serves with a big kick. It took a bit more time to get proper ball placement. But once you harness the power, this is a great weapon for serves!

Overall, I liked this racquet, but not enough to make me add this to my bag. If I had the choice of only using this without demoing a Volkl, I would have gotten it. But in comparison to my Volkls, it doesn't have a buttery feel especially on baseline rallies.

One consolation: my wife loves this racquet and was playing well with it earlier in the afternoon. Will probably get it for her.