PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting from the Wilson grip to the Volkl grip

SC in MA
03-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Has anyone adjusted from the Wilson grip shape to the Volkl/Head grip shape ?

I've played with Wilson's forever. I've also played with Prince and Babolat and had no problems adjusting to their grips.

I have one Volkl that I bought used with a grip that was already modified to a Wilson grip. I recently bought a new Volkl and have hit with it a few times.

So I'm now thinking about playing with Volkl's full time and I'm wondering if I should stick with the Volkl grip shape rather than modifying it to a Wilson grip shape. The biggest problem I'm having right now is the forehand grip. My normal forehand is between an Eastern and SW and I'm finding it difficult to find that spot.

On the plus side, I find it easier to find the forehand SW grip with the Volkl shape when I want to get more spin on the ball. I've also found the continental grip to be fairly easy to find and it feels more pronounced with the Volkl grip shape. And I seem to be doing well with the Eastern backhand grip as well.

Since I seem to be able to find the SW forehand grip fairly easily, I'm wondering if I should just go to that grip as my normal forehand grip rather than continuing to try to find the tweener grip.

Anyway, my inclination is to try to adjust to the Volkl grip shape rather than modifying it to the Wilson shape.

Any thoughts or advice ?

NoBadMojo
03-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I think that is something for you to decide. Since you are uncertain I suggest you stick with things the way they are..you should be able to adjust. I found a way to change the Volkl gripshape easily and without affecting the bevels at all or adding any significant weight. You can make it into pretty much the shape of any of the manufacturers. If you wish to do this, let me know and I'll walk you thru it..it's easy

vin
03-27-2006, 07:45 AM
SC,

I switched from Wilson to Volkl a few years ago and I don't remember it being a big deal for me. I now prefer the Volkl grip shape, including for my forehand, and I have the same grip as you. I like the extra flatness against my palm if that makes any sense.

I think it's also great for anything continental. The only thing I'm not really a fan of it for is my one handed backhand. It doesn't seem to fit the eastern backhand grip very well.

But as Mojo said, it's mostly a preference.

lcw
03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
I think that is something for you to decide. Since you are uncertain I suggest you stick with things the way they are..you should be able to adjust. I found a way to change the Volkl gripshape easily and without affecting the bevels at all or adding any significant weight. You can make it into pretty much the shape of any of the manufacturers. If you wish to do this, let me know and I'll walk you thru it..it's easy

Mojo: Could you please explain how you modified your grip and what type of grip you use for a forehand stroke. Also do you use one or 2 handed backhand?

Thanks
lcw

NoBadMojo
03-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Mojo: Could you please explain how you modified your grip and what type of grip you use for a forehand stroke. Also do you use one or 2 handed backhand?

Thanks
lcw

Sure....i play my Volkls with stock grip shape but have experimented with them in the past. All you need to do is remove the handle pallet and put layers of tape at the 3 and 9 oclock positions on the raw handle. The more tape you put on the more squarish and less oblong your final gripshape. This will result in a wider seam on top and bottom when you stick on the pallet, but provided nothing extreme, it works out fine. You can put the same pallet back on if it was salvageable and you needed a slightly larger grip anyway or you can put a pallet size one smaller on and you will likely end up with a slightly smaller gripsize depending upon how much tape you put underneath, but the grip will be perfect with perfect bevels.
I agree with those saying the stock Volkl gripshape allows your hand to fit on there perfectly for a continental grip which helps a lot on the serve and volley and sliced backhands.
I use an Eastern grip as my standard FH ralley grip, but change to anywhere from SW to Cont depending upon what kind of ball I am presented with and what kind of shot I am wishing to shape. I have a one handed BH.

LAW2
03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
NBMJ, I would also be interested in how to modify the Volkl grip shape to be like that of another manufacturer. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

SC in MA
03-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I think that is something for you to decide. Since you are uncertain I suggest you stick with things the way they are..you should be able to adjust. I found a way to change the Volkl gripshape easily and without affecting the bevels at all or adding any significant weight. You can make it into pretty much the shape of any of the manufacturers. If you wish to do this, let me know and I'll walk you thru it..it's easyAs usual, thanks for the advice Mojo. I'm going to make the effort to go with the stock Volkl grip. There's definitely enough I like about the Volkl shape and I was encouraged by my play with it in my last outing. I'll continue to use it as much as possible in all my practice sessions and non-competition matches. My guess is that I'll soon be using it full time.

Speaking of Volkl grips, I really like the flexiblity Volkl offers with the pallet grip system. I have a Volkl I think my wife would like. She has a smaller grip size and all I need to do is buy the smaller pallet instead of another racket. A really nice feature. Related to that, I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't come up with pallets for Volkl and Head that would provide the grip shapes of the other manufacturers built right into the pallet.

Thanks again Mojo.

Sixpointone
03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Just as an FYI, if by chance the Volkl Grip Shape does not work out for you, you can always have it professionally changed.

Best of Luck,
John

lcw
03-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Mojo
lcw

jayserinos99
03-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I went from the PSC6.1 to the Head iPrestige MP and eventually went to the Volkl T10G1 MP and now T10VE mid. It wasn't an easy process to switch but eventually I got used to rectangular grip shaped handles. The reason why it wasn't easy was because my hand got sore at times but looking back it could have been more of holding the racquet with a death grip instead of having looser grip on the handle.