PDA

View Full Version : What strings maintain their playability the longest?

Pushmaster
06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Topic ^.

NoBadMojo
06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
gut. ed

ma2t
06-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Topic ^.

You might try ISO-Speed strings. They seem to hold tension well.

Steve Williams
06-22-2004, 02:51 AM
Ashaway Dynamite 17

Zyex holds tension well and these multifilament strings are very playable.

BUT string at about 15% lower than usual AND use string savers because these strings will move and fray. With string savers they are great.

You string at a lower tension than usual becuase the Zyex doesn't lose tension straight after stringing. The way it feels as soon as you have it strung is the way it will stay.

Gaines Hillix
06-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Natural Gut, IMO. Also, Laserfibre Supreme and Tour.

SW Stringer
06-22-2004, 09:40 AM
ALL strings lose playability with time, some more, some less. The all time winner as far as losing the least amount of playability is ........... KEVLAR!! Of course it has the least amount of playability to lose, but nonetheless, percentage wise it loses the least.

Steve Williams
06-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Zyex doesn't lose playbility but it does have good playability to begin with (see my post above) and see:

http://www.ashawayusa.com/pages/ZyexStory.html

Big D
06-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Fibergel. Best bang for the buck string I've ever played with. I've tried gut, almost every high end multi and monos. Plays much crisper than most multifilaments and holds tension better than many monofilaments. I wish it came in a 17g.

Eug
06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Gaines is right when he mentioned Laserfibre. In my opinion, they are the second to gut. They maintain tension like.....*insert example here*

Brad Smith
06-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Gut maintains playability and tension until it breaks. Most other strings I've tried lose tension so I can't really evaluate playability at that point. LaserFibre maintains tension well, but they lack the playability of other multifilaments IMO.

fastdunn
06-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Playability is a subjective matter and thus hard to measure.
So I can only rely on the tension I can measure reasonably objectively.

I've tried LaserSupreme for the 1st time and quite surprised by its tension maintenance.
I've had about $15 hours on it and its tension is pretty much same (according to Stringmeter... But I measured the 1st tension after 1st 2 hour of light
playing..)

I will have to watch it until the string breaks but its tension maintenance
in its first 15 hour of playing is pretty impressive.
I actually felt it became stiffer after 7-8 hours but who knows what affected my "feel".

I do feel I do not have the same chocolate sweet, crisp feel
of first 5 hour with LaserSupreme (but again very subjective here).
But it still feels much better than higher end mono synthetic guts..

I think I'll try LaserTour next time because I sometimes like the way mono's feel changes over the time (feels somewhat harsch
in the beginning but feel better later....)

Good luck for all of you guys searching for the holy grail of tennis strings !!! :)

bcaz
06-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Most all the LaserFibre line maintains playability (what does that really mean, anyway?) well, but LF Supernatural Pro Stock beats them all. At $20 a set, it had better, and it does.

Eug
06-24-2004, 05:46 AM
I got a set of Laserfibre Pro Stock 16g sitting right here near me. This is the next string to be strung in my racquet! I've been waiting a long time to use and its days are numbered.

NoBadMojo
06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
to give you an example of how amazing natural gut is. i pulled out the old wooden axes because i was doing a throwback tennis exhibition. 3 were strung w. gut and last strung sometime in the 1980's! i thought the strings would just break or best case feel dead or the ball would fly, but to our amazement the strings in all 3 frames were still very very playable. much more so than the leona66 nylon in the 4th. granted these havent been hit much, but guts plays well until it breaks anyway. if it aint gut, it's nylon as someone once said. to me, if you arent gonna use gut, you might as well use the $3.50 prince original syn gut. altho the technifibre biphase is a nice string i think, but really marginal playabilty advantages over some cheap synthetics. . my .02 Ed

bcaz
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
BTW, Ed, I agree, once you've played gut, nothing else comes close. That's why, as much as I like the LF multis, I prefer all-gut or gut mains w/syngut crosses. Bow mains and Gosen crosses offer the best cluck for the buck.

kreative
06-24-2004, 10:51 PM
i agree w/ gaines, natural gut, and lf supreme definitely hold playability the longest.

K!ck5w3rvE
06-26-2004, 12:16 AM
lux

bigserving
06-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Natural Gut