PDA

View Full Version : lead tape?

canajun4
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
if i put lead tape on my racket, is it entirely necessary to weigh the pieces or can i measure the pieces the same length and do it that way, obviously they won't be exactly the same weight that way, but i guess my question is will it effect my racket a lot if i just measure them out, and will this effect the string life if the balance is off even if by a tiny bit.

Ljubicic for number1
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
It will be fine to measure them the same lenght, only negative is you wont know how much weight you have added. Everything will still be balanced though.

John.

Ripper
03-27-2006, 02:21 PM
if i put lead tape on my racket, is it entirely necessary to weigh the pieces or can i measure the pieces the same length and do it that way, obviously they won't be exactly the same weight that way, but i guess my question is will it effect my racket a lot if i just measure them out...

Nobody weighs it. Not that I know of. Just measure the pieces and keep it simetrical. Whatever you do on one side (left/right), do on the other.

...and will this effect the string life if the balance is off even if by a tiny bit.

How do you come up with these things?

jamauss
03-27-2006, 02:27 PM
If you want to make sure the pieces are the same length, just take a piece of lead tape and cut it length-wise in 2 pieces. Most racquets aren't wide enough to put the whole piece of lead tape on the frame beween the grommets/holes and the strings anyway so it's something you usually have to do. If you want I'll post some pics of how I did the lead taping on my Yonex RDS001.

Ljubicic for number1
03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
He is probably talking about 1/4 tape which fits most frames nicely without splitting down the centre.

brownbearfalling
03-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Usually you can tell, I'm not sure how accurate it is but 3/4 inch wide tape is .75 grams per inch, the 1/2 inch wide is .5 grams per inch, and the 1/4 inch wide tape is .25 grams per inch. There is also the babolat tape that is two times heavier and also swing weights as an alternative.
________
WEED (http://wwweed.com/)

canajun4
03-27-2006, 03:11 PM
hey ripper sorry but i'm somewhat of a beginner when it comes to stuff like this, i've added lead weight twice before by just measuring and it seemed that my strings broke quicker than they normally do so that is why i was wondering, anyway thanks for the help everyone

topspin_05
03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
i've added lead weight twice before by just measuring and it seemed that my strings broke quicker than they normally do

IF they did actually break more quickly, it was probably because you were hitting the ball a little harder because you had a heavier racquet. Even so, it was probably just all in your head. Hope your tape works out though.