PDA

View Full Version : wonder wedge will change the balance of the racquet ?

bagung
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
will it? what should i do , to get back to the original balance? lead tape? in what positions?

mislav
03-27-2006, 02:58 PM
It will, but I wouldn't sweat over it. If you feel you lose some feel or power because of balance change add some lead to your stick.

That again, will increase the weight and the swingweight of your racquet.

I'd be more worried about the change of the grip shape itself... I'm not sold on that Wonder Wedge technology.

Tim Tennis
03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
will it? what should i do , to get back to the original balance? lead tape? in what positions?

That is a very tough question and a good one. I do not think it changes the swing weight significantly one way or another. If you are going to get very micro you will have to consider the weight of the grip you take off your racquet off set by the weight of the PVG depending on how much you cut, the tape to attach it,the overgrip you use and just exactly where you place it on the handle. Nothing is easy is it.

Below is how I answered that question in the FAQs on the site.

Does it affect the balance of the racquet? Not really, or to any noticeable degree. Why not? Look at it this way, if a person with a small hand and person with a large hand play with the same racquet, is the balance of the racquet different? No, but in reality the racquet might be head heavy to the person with the small hand and would be head light to the person with the large hand. (The fulcrum point would be further up the handle for the person with the larger hand.) I like to think of the PVG as actually part of the hand vs. part of the racquet.

That is a very tough question.

Tim Tennis
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
It will, but I wouldn't sweat over it. If you feel you lose some feel or power because of balance change add some lead to your stick.

That again, will increase the weight and the swingweight of your racquet.

I'd be more worried about the change of the grip shape itself... I'm not sold on that Wonder Wedge technology.

Appreciate your comments. Changing the shape of the handle is very revolutionary. It is very, very hard for people that have played for years to come to "grips" with the concept there just might be a better shape of the handle. The only grip on a standard shaped handle that truly fits well in your hand is the EF grip. Once you move from this grip your hand does not fit nearly as snug on the handle.

Best regards,

Ed

bagung
03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
love it right away, it improves my 1h bh.... haven't try thr serve yet, as just recover from TE.... will ww helps to absorb vibration from the racquets too?

TennisParent
03-27-2006, 07:12 PM
love it right away, it improves my 1h bh.... haven't try thr serve yet, as just recover from TE.... will ww helps to absorb vibration from the racquets too?
The WW/PVG, does have some absorptive properties, the racquet feels so much more stable at impact, especially against a heavy ball. I don't think it weighs nearly enough to make a difference in balance or performance, unless you have the hands of a neurosurgeon. The most important thing is to get used to the new handle shape. Be patient, soon you will not be able to hit comfortably with a standard handle again.

Good luck !

chess9
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I think bagung has the right word-stable. On my forehand, in particular because I hit it hard, I feel the movement of the head and handle (very slight with the handle) with a conventional grip. With the WW I feel solid on the forehand wing and my hitting partner told me I was hitting much harder. On the backhand side, my stroke is a work in progress with the WW. Right now, it feels a bit klutzy still but it's improved. On the vollies and serves is where I'm worried I won't make the transition. The WW may be great to use as a set of "training wheels" to learn the right grip for you on both wings, but beyond that I'm still experimenting with it. Today, I'm hitting all my service practice with it, so we'll see.

-Robert
________
WENDIE 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Tim Tennis
03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
On the vollies and serves is where I'm worried I won't make the transition. The WW may be great to use as a set of "training wheels" to learn the right grip for you on both wings, but beyond that I'm still experimenting with it. Today, I'm hitting all my service practice with it, so we'll see.
-Robert

Hi Robert,

Don't you quit on me. You can get the volley down. The PVG is giving you a chance to take your game to the next level by getting you to understand and master the relationship between swing path, racquet head angle as it relates to grip, contact point and follow through. You can do it.

E-mail me. I would love to know how you did on your serve. Tell me the grip and the results. tennisgeom@aol.com

Training Wheels? now I know why I don't carry any weapons in my tennis bag.

chess9
03-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Tim: My wife was sick today, so I didn't get to hit. I'm hoping tomorrow. :( I won't quit on this thing. I'm actually having too much fun with it. Friday I'm going to use it during my lesson and see if my pro notices that lump.

Later-
-Robert
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

iksmols
03-29-2006, 10:36 AM
One very important thing that I have noticed is that because the grip feels like the natural "mold" of my hand now I do not need to grip the racquet tighter just before the contact with the ball which in turn dissipates vibrations better (I suspect it is good for preventing TE ).