PDA

View Full Version : Head Liquidmetal Genesis?

fabulousxp
03-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Big 5 is selling something called the "Head Liquidmetal Genesis" for 79 bucks. Anyone know what the dimensions, specs and weight..etc. of this racquet are? search doesnt bring up anything, and why the heck is a liquidmetal so cheap?!?

EyeSurf
03-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Head Co., in Arizona, has an exec. you can try to reach, named Roger Petersman,a somewhat grouchy Head racquet Guru, who I spoke to(3/27/06-noon Pac.) after phoning the Head 800#, and asking a consumer expert guy, who picked up, what the heck is the "GENESIS"- which is not on the HEAD site- some info below, best to try Head800-289-7366- - - Strangely,Petersman was unfamiliar with the kinda well known,old Head Genesis 660,so maybe he's young,saying"A what, a 660? That must be pre 1998"
-the 800 # guy had few answers, but a nice attitude, and suggested I try to reach Petersman- I was frustrated before calling Head about what is what- since the unknown "GENESIS" is not on their own site,but the 2003"Liq.Mtl 4"is on Tennis-Warehouse site, but not on Head site;replaced by the FLEXpoint4 - and as I spoke to 1st the nice guy,who said the Liquid Metal 4 & 8 are discontinued, then Petersman said no,uh yes-Head still makes the "Liq Mtl4" & LM4 s should be able to be bought for a while. Petersman then seemed to say the GENESIS is similar to the "Liq.Mtl 1 os" but the GENESIS is distributed NOT to pro shops(he often spoke in "non plain talk" sales jargon,repeating "inline"items-mis stating'online' ??, high sales current models) and U& I just want to know WHAT ARE THE SPEC.s of the GENESIS, when was it introduced, why not sell it everywhere?Why not put it on the Head site? Petersman would let me interupt & ask -"You must have available to you the Spec.s-what are they,what does it weigh? "
He replied 9ounces, with a beam taper of 24-26-25
Call them and post here what you can find out- Petersman was grumpy about the fact his 800 line phone crew did not have more info, but I must say they were nice, and it seems they knew the GENESIS is an odd one sold just to Discount sports outlets

armand
03-28-2006, 07:02 AM
I had the exact same experience when I inquired about a HEAD racquet called the 'Liquid Metal Calibre'. It came out last year and looks shockingly similar to the Yonex RDS001. But it's a 110sq" lightweight toy, it's nothing.

spaceace
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Where's Big 5 Sporting Goods keep finding inventory? The Head Liquid Metal Genesis was in their flyer last week for $70.

!Tym
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
It's a "BBS" "SMU" model. In other words, it's a "big box store" "special markup" model mass-produced at low cost for the big box stores du jour...a.k.a. your Big 5's, Sport Chalet's, Champs, Dik's, what have you.

They're basically just lower quality knockoffs of their expensive pro shop store counterpart models...i.e. the models that are actually advertised and that you'll see listed under the USRSA for stringing patterns.

Anything wrong with them? Not always. My first "real" racket was a Yonex RQ-880, which was a Yonex lower-quality knockoff of their expensive RQ-line. It was o.k. Not great, a bit dead, definitely not the same level of pureness of feel and responsiveness and stability as say the RQ-180, but if I still had it and put some nice strings in it, I'd be curious to see how well it'd play. Frankly, I bet I could play darn well with it. If *you're* good enough, then these lower-cost knockoff models of the real thing are good enough imo. A racket is still basically a racket imo, and performance wise I don't think I'd be losing any real sleep over having to "go to war" with the RQ-880 over the RQ-180. I do know I'd enjoy the feel of the 180 a lot more though.

A few years ago, when the Head Agassi Ti.Radical was en vogue, people were saying that there was a knockoff version in the big box stores the surprisingly played pretty much as well. So you never know, there ARE good deals to be found. Personally though, I wouldn't take the risk. Just buy used. This isn't the 80s or early 90s anymore, you don't need a lot of money to buy a "pro shop" quality racket anymore. All you need is half a brain and a computer to search **** and the TW classifieds for used deal gems. You'll spend in all likelihood the same or LESS than you would for a big box store racket, AND you'll be *guaranteed* to get "pro shop" quality performance. There's no need to compromise anymore when you can just by last year's top of the line model used (which we ALL know is every bit as good as this year's just rebadged and slightly tweaked to say it's different...slightly...and therefore better...whatever...rolls eyes).

furyoku_tennis
03-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I've hit with the liquidmetal genesis before. It was okay for a beginner, but that was before I found out about all the different racquets TW had as well as other places.

spaceace
03-07-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a "BBS" "SMU" model. In other words, it's a "big box store" "special markup" model mass-produced at low cost for the big box stores du jour...a.k.a. your Big 5's, Sport Chalet's, Champs, Dik's, what have you.

They're basically just lower quality knockoffs of their expensive pro shop store counterpart models...i.e. the models that are actually advertised and that you'll see listed under the USRSA for stringing patterns.

The first three posts in this thread were from 2006, and now it's 2009, so either the stores are finding more inventory ("Big 5 warehouse in Area 51" theory), or the racquet is still in production.

And by knockoffs of racquets, I presume you mean different versions/models, and not counterfeits or unauthorized copy.

Anyways, thanks your for comments.