PDA

View Full Version : Calling Babolat PD Std Users

normrose
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I have had a Bab PD Std for a couple of years which I discontinued using not long after purchasing it - couldn't control it.

I have pulled it out again with a view to trying to master it with a bit more perseverence.

Notwithstanding that string tension is a personal issue what would be good starting tension to get started again. I recall lowering the tension dramatically to around 40lbs to compensate for the racquet stiffness but this did not work out.

I am a 4.0 standard hit with moderate topspin off both sides and can hit most types of serve.

Any stringing suggestions would be welcome…………….Norm

snoflewis
03-27-2006, 08:44 PM
something extremely soft like gut or babolat Xcel premium strung around 55 should feel good. if you cant control it...it's still gonna launch balls all over the place

normrose
03-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Snoflewis - Thanks 55lbs sounds like a good starting point.

goober
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Most people who can't control a racquet tend to string at higher tensions not lower. 40 lbs on a PD sounds like a major rocket launcher to me. Many people also use Polys on racquets like PD because they are low powered strings which also helps with control. The downside is that with polys and high string tension mixed with a stiff racquet- elbow/shoulder problems could be an issue.

equinox
03-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I strung my PD @ 60lbs with gosen og sheep micro generic 16 last night.

Anything less and it's uncontrollable for me. Stringing at 55lbs won't eliminate the woofer grommets.

normrose
03-28-2006, 01:56 AM
goober and eqinox - Thanks for your input.........Norm

Hoot
03-28-2006, 06:57 AM
I had mine strung at 58# with Wilson Enduro Tour. It took a good bit of the pop out of the racquet. I had also tried Prince Syn Gut at 61# and that worked but lost tension pretty quick and I could not keep the balls from going long.