PDA

View Full Version : Why is Prince reducing the # of O-ports on new rackets?

walkman
03-27-2006, 09:51 PM
I hit with the hybrid hornet and was surprised that I liked it so much considering it is so much lighter than my current racket.

Many of the new Prince rackets (like the Hornet) only have the O-ports on the main strings.

Why? Is there a problem with having them on the mains? Are they trying to reduce string breakage? Is this a marketing hype that's going away?

jonolau
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
If you look carefully there is a great difference in price. More holes = higher price.

Stan
03-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Because many of those that sell racquets also string them. Retailers don't want sticks that take longer to string and the O ports on the crosses require additional time and effort. Retailers will dump these types of technology FAST! Witness the Power Holes and Rollers. Prince must realize this and are adjusting to complaints of tennis retailers. The O ports on the head and throat require little, if any additional effort to string. Thus they remain and the trusty grommets have reappeared on the side.

That's my theory.

mislav
03-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Really? I thought they were easier to string?

Ljubicic for number1
03-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Yes they are easy to string, he is just talking about the little extra time of using the turntable brake. No big deal, but may slow you up a bit if your stringing them constantly all day.

John.

Stan
03-28-2006, 06:08 AM
They are not difficult to sttring, but they require additional time. The stringer is required to either activate the machine break on each pull for the cross O ports or they will need to use a special tool that Prince has developed. Either method requires some additional time and effort.

Ronaldo
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Never strung an O-Port but are the crosses similar in stringing to the Wilson Rollers? Strung a 7.6 Rollers Sunday and really had trouble keeping the crosses straight.

Michelangelo
03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I guess because it's called "hybrid", only half set of O-ports and half set of ordinary holes are employed.

Marius_Hancu
03-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Because many of those that sell racquets also string them. Retailers don't want sticks that take longer to string and the O ports on the crosses require additional time and effort. Retailers will dump these types of technology FAST! Witness the Power Holes and Rollers. Prince must realize this and are adjusting to complaints of tennis retailers. The O ports on the head and throat require little, if any additional effort to string. Thus they remain and the trusty grommets have reappeared on the side.

That's my theory.

Interesting.

How about durability?
Are they breaking easier than typical racquets?
Guess we'll have to wait on that subject, but might be another reason.

walkman
03-28-2006, 08:46 AM
If it's just to make stringing easier -- then does it mean

a) that a raquet with all O-ports would be better (although maybe more expensive)?

or

b) O-ports on the side don't make enough difference to the player to make up for the extra time to the stringer?

I also wonder if it might be to slow down some of the movement of the strings to get them to last longer (which I'm guessing is why Sharapova has extra cross strings in her racket).

RacquetDoctor
03-28-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't find that it takes any more time to string the O series of racquets over any other particular brand...
I still average in the 15 min range for any of these sticks.

bsandy
03-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't find that it takes any more time to string the O series of racquets over any other particular brand...
I still average in the 15 min range for any of these sticks.

Are you using the brake method, using the boomerang tool, or throwing caution to the wind ?

. . . Bud

RacquetDoctor
03-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I own a Sensor, and I use the brake...

Mark

Amone
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Because it's not the O3 line, it's the Hybrid line. It's not supposed ot have all the O-ports, it's supposed to have some of them.

mislav
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Because it's not the O3 line, it's the Hybrid line. It's not supposed ot have all the O-ports, it's supposed to have some of them.
I'm guessing they want this technology to stay, so what they're doing is marketing hybrids to get more people to buy and get used to O ports.

Amone
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
That's possible. I'll believe it when I see a Diablo Hybrid that is comparable to my Tour. I swear, Prince, you and your rascally racquet-holes..

timsims
03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Because it's a gimmick.

mislav
03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Because it's a gimmick.
There we go again... :rolleyes:

tedmeister
03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Never strung an O-Port but are the crosses similar in stringing to the Wilson Rollers? Strung a 7.6 Rollers Sunday and really had trouble keeping the crosses straight.
Pretty much have to use the same technique with these O ports. My main concern if I would be using a non hybrid O3 if I don't string my own is the consistency by which the crosses will be installed. The hybrids are superior to the rollers in this aspect(less moving parts/no fear of having one of those wheels fall off):mrgreen: . Not too many problems stringing them save for those tiny X tie off holes that the first batches have.

Ronaldo
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
ted, do not forget the Rollers tying/freezing up. To paraphrase the Hot Rod, just when you think you have all the answers, they change the grommets, eh?! Or freaking leave them out

Ronaldo
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Pretty much have to use the same technique with these O ports. My main concern if I would be using a non hybrid O3 if I don't string my own is the consistency by which the crosses will be installed. The hybrids are superior to the rollers in this aspect(less moving parts/no fear of having one of those wheels fall off):mrgreen: . Not too many problems stringing them save for those tiny X tie off holes that the first batches have.
Welcome to the Double-cross stringer

Ripper
03-29-2006, 06:16 AM
I hit with the hybrid hornet and was surprised that I liked it so much considering it is so much lighter than my current racket.

Many of the new Prince rackets (like the Hornet) only have the O-ports on the main strings.

Why? Is there a problem with having them on the mains? Are they trying to reduce string breakage? Is this a marketing hype that's going away?

The sweetspot grows larger towards wherever the O-Ports are situated. Prince is just offering alternatives to suit different tastes and needs.

bsandy
03-30-2006, 02:46 PM
The sweetspot grows larger towards wherever the O-Ports are situated. Prince is just offering alternatives to suit different tastes and needs.

Why don't you just get a bigger racquet ?

netman
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM

Definitely experienced that on the Hybrid Shark. Shots hit near the tip or below center still had pop and weight and didn't punish your arm. Balls hit near the sides of the frame tended to die on the strings just like a regular Shark.

The sweetspot seemed to be an elongated oval stretching from a couple of inches above the throat bridge to just below the tip. Width hadn't really changed, just the length. I guess if there are O ports on both the sides and top you stretch the sweetspot in both directions which could make a frame too lively for some folks.

-k-

Ripper
03-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Why don't you just get a bigger racquet ?

Or get the new O3 Tour OS and have a super advantage :cool:

allez
03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
This O port thing is really over-hyped. It trempolines your string bed like hell.

Prince's selling points are that It increases the sweet spot and reduce wind drag. If you have good foot work and stroke mechanics, you don't need a big sweet spot. The trempoline and the excess string movement prevent you from having a firm string bed. As for reducing wind drag, strong players can swing the proper sticks without the O port plenty fast already. What is the point of paying extra and getting the negative effects of having it.

This O port thing will die down in a year of two. That's why true Prince fans like Diable and POG's.