PDA

View Full Version : Comparison review: Prince O3 White versus O3 Hybrid Hornet

bismark
03-28-2006, 05:26 AM
I like to have a comparison between the Prince O3 White and O3 Hybrid Hornet. Which is more stable and gives more power? Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks.

walkman
03-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm play testing a Hybrid Hornet right now along with a DNX 8 & 10 and a 6.1 95.

I'm retiring my 16 year old Prince Synergy that is heavier than all the above rackets (it's the last of 4 of them I had at one time). I only got the HH because it's a Prince and it got a good review in "Tennis".

I'm a 4.0+ all court player. My topspin forehand is my best weapon, but I play a lot of doubles so I need a good volley racket.

The 6.1 95 was too slow at the net for me to get any power on my volleys. The DNX 10 was better, but also a bit sluggish. The DNX felt good and solid, but my groundstrokes would sail in many cases in a match, and it added nothing to my serves.

Surprisingly I like the HH MP the best of the bunch. My groundstrokes stayed in because they seemed to get enough extra spin to keep the ball from going long. The racket had a very soft feel too it, but still gave me enough feedback to know when I mishit the ball.

Where the racket really shined was at the net. It is so darn quick, yet doesn't twist like a racket that is too light. I was really able to get the head around to smash away some overheards and poaches. I really got the sensation that much of the quickness was the aerodynamics of the racket head and not just the weight and balance.

The thing I wasn't able to do with the racket was to flatten it out and really hit it hard. I just didn't seem to be able to get anything really fast out of the racket either on my groundstroke or serve. I'm not sure if I hadn't found the right technique with the racket, or if it just doesn't have a really hard shot in it. I'm also not sure if it's any good for touch shots, like drop volleys.

In conclusion, the HH was much better than I expected -- especially considering that I thought the specs were not what I was looking for. I'm going to see if I can demo some of the other Prince rackets. Ideally, I'd find something like the HH with more weight to it. It seemed ideal for doubles, but I can't help but think I'd like something a bit heavier for singles.

bismark
03-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks walkman.

Vendetta
03-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I currently play with the Prince Vendetta MP and have been trying some new racquets since they don't make mine anymore and I can't seem to find any online anywhere.

First I tried the HH b/c the specs were almost identical to the Vendetta. Hit with it for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it out of my hands fast enough. Like the above poster said I couldn't get any zip on the ball on groundies and had problems with my serve with it. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to let my swing adjust but the racquet and my game didn't seem to mesh very well.

Later I tried to O3 White just b/c my wife took it out for a spin. I liked this one a little better. Seemed to have better feedback than the Hornet (although still a little muted) and I was able to swing away a little more. More stable feel as well although that's proably due to increased weight. I still wouldn't put in in my fav. category yet.

Right now I have out the DNX 8 MP and the Radical MP - hit with one each and the DNX feels great at the net and generating topspin is a piece of cake, but I agree with the poster above again that it seems really hard to flatten things out with pace and keep them in.

Opposite problem with the Radical - generating pace and driving the ball is really easy, but hitting loopy shots was a problem first time out. Test driving them again this afternoon.

I'm a 3.0/3.5 but take aggressive groundstrokes.

netman
03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey folks. Take a look at the new Wilson nOpen. Just finished play testing it. Very manuveurable at 11 oz., can generate lots of racquet head speed. Serves are a breeze and can be placed on a dime. Wonderful doubles frame. Plays like an old school graphite frame, but it is lighter and more comfortable. You give up some shot weight due to the lighter static weight but can carve up the court with it.

-k-

pmata814
03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I like to have a comparison between the Prince O3 White and O3 Hybrid Hornet. Which is more stable and gives more power? Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks.

I own the Hybrid Hornet MP and I demoed the o3 white, as well as several others, when I was shopping. The HH does not provide a lot of power but I didn't feel like the white was much better in this category, and it did feel very sluggish to me.

The specs indicate that the white is more flexible than the HH but it actually felt the other way around to me. I didn't ask about the tension because I liked the HH so much..I just decided to buy that one instead.

You'll probably find the white to be more stable because it's heavier, however the HH is not bad either. The manuverability of the HH is great.. it's light and easy to swing. It's easy to generate a lot of racquet head speed which helps me put more spin on my serve.

If you want something with more power I probably would recommend the Hybrid Shark MP rather than the o3 white. I had trouble keeping the ball in the court but I've read other posts here that liked the shark.