PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Maxply McEnroe: Dead or Alive?

samster
03-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Not too long ago there was a long thread with hundreds of raves about the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe. Because of the hundreds of acclaims, I ended up buying three of these. I played with them for a few outings and then found out that it was a little too stiff for my liking even with VS Gut 17g.

They were nice rackets that complemented my game well but the stiffness was causing discomfort in my wrist. Granted, I suppose I could have changed out the leather grip and used more cushioned synthetic ones and buy better vibration dampeners but Winter came and they were put away for the time being.

I am wondering:

1)if those that gave the racket the initial high marks are still using this racket.

2)Did you find any discomfort from the stiffness and if you did, did you make any alterations to make it more comfortable?

-Samster

loubapache
03-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I found a few who have put down the frame.

However, I am liking it more and more. Initially it did feel a little stiff for me but I kept using it and now I do not feel it at all. I switched from the Ncode 6.1 95 and the Maxply is a more confortable fame (especially on the shoulders).

I did have 6 grams of lead tape on the handle and two over grips over the leather. I wanted the feel of the leather but a little more coushion so I ordered one size smaller and used two over grips.

skraggle
03-28-2006, 02:41 PM
I just picked some up, and in addition to stringing on the low end-58 lbs-I swapped out the leather grip (sacrilege, I know) for a Prince DuraTac...will report back on how it feels when damn rain stops!

FuriousYellow
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Six months and I'm still using mine. I've tried a few other sticks, but I haven't found one I like better yet. I don't find the stick to be harsh unless you hit in the upper part of the stringbed which happens to me on serves sometimes. I am able to consistently hit in the sweetspot on my groundstrokes and volleys with this stick. Probably moreso than with any other one I've played with to this point.

It's not as easy to serve with as the LM Prestige was and it's not as maneuverable as some other racquets that are more HL. Overall, it suits me fine until I find something better.

I have one strung with BDE Rally and one with X-One Biphase, both @ 58lbs. I prefer the one with the BDE. I don't find the string dampener to be necessary on either one.

PBODY99
03-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I have mine strung @ 50 and it could be a bit more headlight but [I]'m using it for training as it forces me to concentrate on my set up for each shot.

jackson vile
03-28-2006, 06:20 PM
I love mine just have problems with 1hbh and serve, other wise it is amazing

samster
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
interesting jacksonvile...I thought the Maxply was great for the 1hbh and the serve. I struggled most with the forehand groundies.

loubapache
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I also find the Maxply to be good on 1hbh and serve. The only thing that is not as good as the Ncode 6.1 95 is spin production.

jackson vile
03-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Mine has the most spin production with pace produing the most consistant heavy ball out of all my rackets.

I have it strung with 17g X-one 57m 54c, with this set up you have to use a full western grip other wise it will shoot up, other wise all ways in and just swing away, great for 2hbh and especially slice.

IMO is should not serve so well being light and even balance.

loubapache
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
IMO is should not serve so well being light and even balance.

Light is relative. It is the second heaviest racquet in the Dunlop line up (second only to various 200g versions).

All things are equal, a head heavy or even balanced racquet should serve better than a head light racquet, in theory.

Mine is about 11.7 oz and 5 points head light but it still has the 16 G Dunlop Tour Performance strings. My spin omparison was to the Ncode 6.1 95 with a 17 G poly/syn gut hybris.

jackson vile
03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Light is relative. It is the second heaviest racquet in the Dunlop line up (second only to various 200g versions).

All things are equal, a head heavy or even balanced racquet should serve better than a head light racquet, in theory.

Mine is about 11.7 oz and 5 points head light but it still has the 16 G Dunlop Tour Performance strings. My spin omparison was to the Ncode 6.1 95 with a 17 G poly/syn gut hybris.

A head heavy or head light is better for serving while the even is caught in the middle.

I am comparing to many frames most notably the RDX500 MP.

The Pusher Terminator
03-29-2006, 08:35 AM
absolutely LOVE this racquet. But I am not using it. I found that stringing at a very high tension but using one of the most powerful racuets on the market (Babolat aeropro drive) is an awesome mix. The Maxplay, the Wilson surge, and the Babolat aeropro dive have virtually the same weight and balance and head size. They all play similar but there are some serious differences:

Mcenroe: Least powerful of the three, best feel, and second best serve. (thin beam)

Surge: second most powerful, worst on feel and serve

Babolat aeropro drive: The most powerful...good feel and Great serves. If you can handle the power then this is far superior to the other two! (I string it at 65).

loubapache
03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes, "feel" is the strongest aspect of the Maxply if you keep the leather grip. IMHO, it has the same great feel as the Wilson 6.0 85 but in a lighter, and easier to play package.

samster
03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
There's got to be more people who used the Maxply McEnroe than us here!!! There was over 400 posts on the Maxply McEnroe RAVE party last time!!!

netman
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I started that thread. I love the MaxPly McEnroe. Wonderful feel, great volley frame and that classic old graphite feel that is getting harder to find.

Played with it close to a year. Then I had to drop it after I injured my elbow in a fall on the court. It was just too tough on my injured joint. What I found was that any string other than gut (or a gut hybrid) beat up my elbow. I have never had TE in 35+ years of tennis, but the 2 times I played the Max with non-gut string jobs, I was feeling elbow twinges within a couple of days. In addition, I found you had to string below 58 to keep it comfortable. Unfortunately when I combined gut with a sub-58 tension, the Max lost a lot of the control that endeared it to me.

Still feel its a wonderful S&V frame for folks that like heavier frames. But it definitely is not for the weak of joint.

-k-

jackson vile
03-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I absolutely LOVE this racquet. But I am not using it. I found that stringing at a very high tension but using one of the most powerful racuets on the market (Babolat aeropro drive) is an awesome mix. The Maxplay, the Wilson surge, and the Babolat aeropro dive hav virtually the same weight and balance and head size. They all play similar hit but there are some serious differences:

Mcenroe: Least powerful of the three, best feel, and second best serve. (thin beam)

Surge: second most powerful, worst on feel and serve

Babolat aeropro drive: The most powerful...good feel and Great serves. If you can handle the power then this is far superior to the other two! (I string it at 65).

I really want to try out the aeropro drive, how is the spin? can you 1hbh with that racket?

I found the MM to be a basline racekt rather than a S&V racket, I think this is due to how I strung it.

samster
03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Netman, I am sorry to hear about the elbow injury. I thought it would be difficult to get injured while playing tennis but last summer, I fell on my butt as I tripped myself 1st time playing with my size 13 Barricade II's and was sore for more than a week. As I quickly discovered, 12.5 is a better fit for me than the size 13.

federerer
03-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I still play with the maxply but I don't play it stock. I've customized it to so that it's head light and heavier (13 oz) so it probably plays pretty different than most. In stock form the racket is stiff and light which can lead players to get a little lazy with their technique and hit it late. This, of course, leads to TE for one handers.

I serve and volley and for me no other racket really compares, especially when it comes to feel.

The Pusher Terminator
03-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I really want to try out the aeropro drive, how is the spin? can you 1hbh with that racket?

I found the MM to be a basline racekt rather than a S&V racket, I think this is due to how I strung it.

The APD is awesome. I even like the APD plus better! They are both awesome in every department....especially spin. The main difference between the two racuets is manueverabilty and power. So here is my basic analysis:

1. APD: manueverable. Very good on serves and Great on volleys. Very good on groundstrokes and very good on returns. ( plays similar to the maxplay bit all strokes are powered up)

2. APD plus: Not as manuevrable. AWESOME on serves (absolute bombs). Not very good on volleys. AWESOME ground strokes and returns.

I am a serve and volleyer. I chose the plus even though it is less manueuverable because my serves were so big that I am able to put away easy volleys with it. Both are awesome racquets and both I find superior to the maxplay....just make sure to string them really tight! The power on these racquets is huge.

Brad Smith
03-31-2006, 01:25 PM
I gave the racket up because of the stiffness. Even with gut I developed shoulder pain. It was a general soreness in the shoulder after playing a few days in a row that I have not experienced with other frames. I had mine modified to 12.1 ounces. To this day it's the most natural volleying frame I've ever used.