PDA

View Full Version : WHAT MAKES THE POG SUCH A GREAT RACQUET

dhaber
03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
After reading a lot of opinions about the POG, I am a bit perplexed. Many sing its praise, yet few top players use it, why?

Morpheus
03-01-2004, 04:31 PM
All the pros that used the POG have grey hair now and maybe a new hip or two. It's a great racket, but the endorsement money is in the new racket (or old rackets with paint jobs), plus the young guys coming up in the 90s, who are now pros, are all hot about the big power sticks like the PD.

Kirko
03-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Doubles players still use it Sandon Stolle & Wayne & Byron Black. I like it for the power,spin & its forgiving.

Swan Song
03-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Dhaber, when you mean few pros, does that also include Ferrero and Coria because they both use POG. So does Chang, but he retired.

Momo
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
I like the paintjob (4 stripe version: 1987 model I believe). The spin potential great too. I think most of all, I like it because it treats my arm really nicely.

Brent Pederson
03-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Albert Costa too, and Vince Spadea. Actually, for a 20+ year old stick, it still has a pretty amazing following. IMO the reasons: pure graphite, not mucked up by marketing-hyped precious metals, the stabilizer bar, which really works, and an open string pattern for mondo spin. It all adds up to a racket with tons of feel, great spin, a real extension of the arm. All you need to bring is your power (and a stringing machine for replacing all those strings you're gonna break)...

Swan Song
03-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Costa used the Precision 730 MP(PG2 LB).

topspin king
05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
POG, a great racquet in 20 yrs ago. today, it is still a great racquet. someone said that it is not good enough to win in modern game. i'm not sure. at least there is two clay court player ferrero and coria win their championships w/ it. (they are NOT playing w/ the NXG!!)

i play tennis twice a week, 2-3 hrs each time. i just love to hitting w/ my POG. i'm a baseliner w/ heavy spin. i don't know is there any racquet can improve my game. but i love the school feeling. i've demo a lot "new technology" racquet in different brands. nothing can attract me to switch. prince should never cut down this great racquet!![/img]

@wright
05-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I hit with a POG mid a little for the first time the other day. It felt great, nice soft feeling and good control. I thought it hit similarly to my PBP's. The POG has a nice price also.

BillH
05-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I have used the POG OS for approximately 2-3 months and have recently changed to the POG midplus. Prior to that, I used the Volkl C7 and before that, a HPS 6.1 and BABolat PCZ+. While using the 6.1, I thought a perfect racquet would be a lighter, more arm-friendly 6.1 but with more feel. The Volkl C7 was getting there but the POG midplus is the real deal. I love the feel, the control, and the maneuverability of the POG mp. It swings nicely for a 12 ounce plus stick and the price is a bargain. Pros don't use them now because there's no endorsement money in old racquets but the POG is as good a racquet as any now on the market (or 20 years ago)!

BreakPoint
05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
BillH,
Where did you get the POG Midplus? Did you buy it from Europe? As far as I know, Prince only sells the Mid (93 sq. in.) and the OS (107 sq. in.) versions here in the U.S.

Stitch626
05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
The POG mid is also sometimes referred to as midplus. Still the same racket though.

Phil
05-24-2004, 11:49 PM
I hit with a POG mid a little for the first time the other day. It felt great, nice soft feeling and good control. I thought it hit similarly to my PBP's. The POG has a nice price also.

As much as I don't like changing racquets, I'm gonna have to look into the POG-20 years and still in the stores says something...If it plays similar to the PBP then it's worth demoing.

BillH
05-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Breakpoint - the above info is correct - Prince refers to the 93 inch as a midplus. In fact, "Midplus" is written on the throat of the POG. It's a great racquet, as is the OS, and I think anyone who likes the old Volkl line or the HPs 6.1 will really like the midplus.

@wright
05-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Phil, the POG mid I hit with had a rubber band used as a dampener, which prevented some of the feedback. I think without a rubber band it would hit very similarly to the PBP, probably wouldn't need a dampener. Sweetspot felt pretty big. As a side note, the Estusas are 92 inches and have "graphite Midplus" printed on the throat.