PDA

View Full Version : Prokennex Pr 5G - absolute beauty of a racquet

vkartikv
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I must admit, I was very skeptical trying a 100 sq.in. racquet after using the tour 90s and 6.0 85 but was very impressed with the PK 5G. I play s&v so I didn't really know how it would work out with a bigger head but I could tell very little difference b/w the 6.0 and 5G in terms of volleying capacities.

The best part of this racquet is the return of serve. I could take a full swing and even if the ball didn't strike the center, there was no vibration or shock, absolutely none! It's going to be a very hard to decision to choose b/w this one and the volkl c10 pro.

gregraven
03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I used to use the Pro Kennex 5G years ago, and really loved it. However, I kept breaking them in the throat on my serve, and the "kinetic" material would break loose and migrate throughout the racquet after awhile. It was like playing with a rain-stick. PK eventually grew tired of warrantying my frames, so I moved on.

vkartikv
03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I used to use the Pro Kennex 5G years ago, and really loved it. However, I kept breaking them in the throat on my serve, and the "kinetic" material would break loose and migrate throughout the racquet after awhile. It was like playing with a rain-stick. PK eventually grew tired of warrantying my frames, so I moved on.

Is this true of the Ki5s as well? Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Fuzzless
03-28-2006, 06:53 PM
yes, my friend broke two ki 5 PSEs in the throat, and i've read similar things from other people using the regular ki 5

alb1
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I've used the 5g for about a year and a half now and have not had any problems with the 3 frames I have. I've had a Ki5 for about 6 months and it also is holding up for me. I play doubles competively once a week against 4.5-5.0 level players. I used Dunlop, Head, and Prince rackets in the past and the ProKennex rackets in my opinion are a great rackets for an all court game.

hiltonhead
03-29-2006, 06:53 AM
I have one 5g, then bought 3 Ki 5's (5/8) which had bit more spank. Loved 'em - VERY arm friendly. But now they just sit, cuz I've decreased my grip size...

Ed Lee
03-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Vkartikv,

I myself have a similar dilemma between these two racquets. I would be very interested in getting your impression by stroke (groundies, serve, volleys, etc.) on these frames. If you would like, please email me at egl28@hotmail.com. I will do the same.

Thanks!

Ed

samster
03-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Ed,

How's that PK 5g treating you?

Ed Lee
03-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for asking.....I like your 5g very much. I've been using it exclusively for the past month. Although I have lost some velocity on my serve (compared to the C10), using the 5g results in more spin using the same toss and motion. I play mostly doubles, so I think my serve is a bit more effective. The one area that I really miss with regards to the C10 is volleying. I have been spoiled by the Volkl in that respect. It offers me more touch and control compared to the 5g. However, I'm confident that I'll adjust to the 5g as I move forward.

Take care.

Ed

netman
03-29-2006, 06:23 PM
PK 5g is one of the best all-around frames on the market. Not great at any one thing, but very good at all aspects of the game. The arm protection provided by the Kinetic tech is just icing on the cake.

-k-

javier sergio
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
guys I'm interesting in how you string the 5G's......I love them as you do but I'm in the process of finding the right strings for them.
Thanks

javier sergio
04-09-2006, 02:21 PM
5G and Ashaway Dynamite the perfect combination !!!!

ta11geese3
04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
How do they feel? I tried one last time... don't your prostaffs feel more solid?

javier sergio
04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Do you guys add any lead tape on the 5g's ?

louis netman
04-12-2006, 03:46 PM
mine were a joy with leather, lead and gut...

vkartikv
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
If gut is too expensive, go with the livewire XP. Its pretty much what I use on any racquet - soft and spinny but does tend to lose tension quickly.

Ed Lee
04-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Javier,

I add enough lead tape in the areas of 1-3 and 9-11 o'clock resulting in a weight of 12.5 oz. and a balance of 4 pts HL.

Ed

netman
04-12-2006, 05:48 PM

I put 2 grams at 10 and 2 (4 grams total). Brings the sweetspot up slightly and stablizes the hoop a good bit.

-k-

billyboybeacon
04-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I have hit the 5G quite a few times (my buddy has one) it hits a very solid ball but lacks the touch of the C-10...I serve and volley and the touch on the C-10 is un-matched...but if I was a baseliner the 5G would be on my short list

vkartikv
04-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I have hit the 5G quite a few times (my buddy has one) it hits a very solid ball but lacks the touch of the C-10...I serve and volley and the touch on the C-10 is un-matched...but if I was a baseliner the 5G would be on my short list

If you are looking for any c10s, let me know. I am looking to get rid of my entire collection except the 5Gs and tour 10 MPs.

vkartikv
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Here is part II of my story:

I have been getting amazing racquet headspeed with this thing. I think I was holding myself back with the PS 85s and other mids but I have found my groove with the 5G. Depth control on this racquet is the one outstanding aspect of this racquet. I just went 3 long sets against an old foe tonight and managed to pull off a victory by beating him at his own game by staying back instead of the usual net rushing. and no arm trouble or any pain anywhere after 2 gruelling hours. Its time to brush aside the ego that asks you to get a midsize and get a PK. Life can still be fun :)

javier sergio
04-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks guys for the comments of lead on the 5G's. I see that most of you add weight on the 1-3,9-11, area of the racquet.
I understand from your words that this makes the racquet less head light consequently.....we get? I'd really appreciate if you can further explain the benefits of doing that.
Thanks again !!

javier sergio
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I added couple of grams (I split the Babolat lead package in two racquets) on the 3-9 areas.
The racquet feels much better, thanks