PDA

View Full Version : TENSION LOSS (FOR PROS EYES ONLY)

jelichek
06-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Here's my question: For years I've heard that a strung racquet will lose 10% tension over nite after it is first strung. True? Does pre-stretching reduce this initial tension loss by any considerable percent? If I am stringing Big Banger or any other of it's kind, do I really need to reduce tension by 2 to 4 lbs. or 5% or 10% or whatever or is it a moot point since strings will lose that amount over nite or will they?Finally, if I want my racquet strung up at say 57lbs. - do I really string it at about 63 or 64 and let it drop to the 57 that I was after in the first place? I would really appreciate some thoughtful, knowledgeable replys. Thanks! :roll:

NoBadMojo
06-22-2004, 08:42 AM
wil try and make this simple for you. yes, there is some amount of tension loss a soon as you take the axe out of the stringer. more for some strings than others. a prestretch does help avoid some tension loss initially but can also affect the play of the string..and lot of it depeneds on how the string is prestretched..at what force and for how long. as far as the big banger goes, that is a very very stiff string and they suggest dropping the tension because the tring plays much tighter (stiffer) at a given reference tension initially, but there is quite a bit of tension loss after playing for a little while. personally i think bb should be dropped more than the 2-4 at first. the key to stringing is to be consistent and to find a string that works for you and to stick with it. another key is to not worry so much about your gear and just go play ball and work on your game. my .02 Ed

Gaines Hillix
06-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Your are correct, but these behaviors are built in to the system so to speak. It is really string bed stiffness that you are wanting to achieve, but there is no way to measure this without buying an expensive racquet diagnostic machine or using a pro stringer who has one. So, string tension is used as the unit of measurement by most people. However, depending on frame size, string pattern and string type, the stiffness of the stringbed will vary even when strung at exactly the same tension. A larger frame with an open pattern will feel less stiff than a smaller frame with a dense pattern. Bottom line, don't try to out guess how much tension loss you will experience and try to adjust for it or even worry too much about prestretching. I usually start at the middle of the tension range recommended for the racquet and adjust from there.

jelichek
06-22-2004, 10:26 AM
thanks guys for the advice. I'm not worried about my game - I'm a coach and so-called pro and have been stringing for myself and the kids for about 15 years, and realize that pattern and head size etc. do affect stiffness and so on and Big Banger is massively stiff, and also agree that tension is a reference point especially depending on machine used. However, if I could actually tell the difference, and if to say I were a big time player say playing at Wimbledon this week and told the stringers there that I want my bats strung at say 57 for tomorrows matches, will they indeed string them up at that point or compensate for the over nite tension loss?

perfmode
06-22-2004, 10:32 AM
There is a difference between people asking for a racquet to be STRUNG @ 65lb and for a racquet to PLAY @ 65lb. When I ask for my racquet to be STRUNG @ 65, I know that it will lose tension. I like my racquets STRUNG @ 65 but I have no idea what tension they PLAY at.

mileslong
06-22-2004, 11:03 AM
i feel so naughty, i looked at this thread and i'm not even a pro...

Brad Smith
06-23-2004, 10:18 AM
There is a difference between people asking for a racquet to be STRUNG @ 65lb and for a racquet to PLAY @ 65lb. When I ask for my racquet to be STRUNG @ 65, I know that it will lose tension. I like my racquets STRUNG @ 65 but I have no idea what tension they PLAY at.

Exactly. And different strings STRUNG at the same tension will PLAY at different tensions. Only through trial and error can you figure out the best tension to STRING your racket with your chosen string.