PDA

View Full Version : Why is hybrid Shark rated more powerful than hybrid hornet?

walkman
03-28-2006, 10:26 PM
The hybrid Shark weighs more and is less HL so why would Prince give it a higher power rating than the hybrid Hornet? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

When I demoed them, the HH seemed the most powerful, the HS less powerful, and the O-tour the least powerful.

Ripper
03-29-2006, 06:22 AM
The hybrid Shark weighs more and is less HL so why would Prince give it a higher power rating than the hybrid Hornet? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

When I demoed them, the HH seemed the most powerful, the HS less powerful, and the O-tour the least powerful.

I don't know the specs of these raquets. So, I can't comment. But check the flex specs. Maybe the answer is there. Also, the string patterns.

Michelangelo
03-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Because a shark is bigger than a hornet?

legolas
03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Because a shark is bigger than a hornet?
hahahaha, well maybe they have diff swingweights and stuff like that

pmata814
03-29-2006, 10:46 AM

I also demoed them both but I felt the shark had more power. I had trouble keeping the ball in the court.

I've always thought that if the racquet is heavier it provides more power. Lighter allows you to swing faster, which I guess would allow for more racquet head speed and that will produce more speed on the ball..but if you could swing the heavier racquet with the same speed it should produce a more powerful shot (I would think).

I ended up buying the Hornet and I'm loving it.

Michelangelo
03-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I also demoed them both but I felt the shark had more power. I had trouble keeping the ball in the court.

I demoed the regular Shark OS sometime in 2005. I found that it's a bit over-power (to my swing style) at baseline, although serving is so sweet that coz of that I almost switched to it from my nSix-One Tour 90. Anyway, it's a solid racket. But interestingly, I don't like the regular Shark MP.

Now I'm pretty interested in Völkl DNX V1 OS though.

netman
03-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Just finished demoing the Shark Hybird. It definitely packs a punch. Haven't tried the Hybrid Hornet, but the fact it is lighter than the H-Shark is probably the reason it is rated lower in power. There is no subsitute for mass in the racquet/ball collision equation. Given the same racquet head speed, the heavier racquet will always generate more power.

-k-

tennissavy
03-29-2006, 06:47 PM

I've always thought that if the racquet is heavier it provides more power. Lighter allows you to swing faster, which I guess would allow for more racquet head speed and that will produce more speed on the ball..but if you could swing the heavier racquet with the same speed it should produce a more powerful shot (I would think).

I ended up buying the Hornet and I'm loving it.
What you say is true about heavier racquets. As a general rule of thumb, they are more powerful than lighter racquets. I haven't tried either hybrid racquet so I can't say which is more powerful but your reasoning is sound.

walkman
03-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, it seems like if that was the case, Prince's players rackets would be rated as their most powerful since they're the heaviest. Instead they are usually given the lowest power rating.

Maybe it's just part of Prince's marketing lingo with their power rating and the power rating is a mumbo-jumbo number they make up.

walkman
04-04-2006, 01:00 PM
After trying both racquets I have to agree with Prince that the Shark plays with more power than the H Hornet.

During a singles match, several times I had run my opponent off the court and just had to push my volley over the net to win the point -- the ball sailed long each time. I realized that the Shark sailed the ball unless I made a concious effort to put spin on the ball to keep it in play.

The HH, which plays very much like the HS, doesn't seem to hit the ball out on it's own.

imadeulook
04-04-2006, 05:45 PM
i thought the less head light means that its more powerful and the more head light the less powerful:mrgreen:

Pomeranian
04-04-2006, 07:01 PM
There is a formula for the potential power of racquets. (it doesn't take into account string density though) The key word is potential, and it really depends on if you can maintain the same swingspeed. The string used and the tension also are important.