PDA

View Full Version : M-Fil 300...your thoughts

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey,

just wanted to know your thoughts on the Dunlop M-Fil 300...i'm able to get it cost-price thru connections ;). How does it compare to the Prince O3 range/Yonex RDX range? for more info on me, go to this link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92358

help would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-29-2006, 01:40 AM
anyone? lol

DragonFly
03-29-2006, 02:00 AM
well, odd thing today, i strung my mfil at 60 two months ago, and it's lost a considerable amount of tension by now (possibly now at 52-55), it feels like the ball stays on the strings forever. And what do you know, I just played the best games ever with this stick! I'm a S&Ver and i love the pop I get from this thing, the only caveat was I had to relearn my stroke and take a short, fast, and compact swing at the ball, no more big cuts.

AndrewD
03-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Personally, I really liked it. Good control and nice power plus excellent slice and topspin potential. Swings too light for me (dont like low static and swingweight combo) but that wouldn't be hard to fix. Wouldn't call it the most comfortable hit I've had but could probably help that with a softer string. Plays very, very well from the back of the court and I found myself generating a lot of topspin that had good penetration through the court. Slice shots stayed nice and low, recovery shots were deep and controlled. All up, a very nice racquet that performed far better than I expected, given the light weight.

Came down to a choice, for me, between the MFil-300 and the Wilson nSix-One Team (our version of the nPS). I went with the Team as I found it to be a bit more comfortable, bit more weight on my shots and a bit more control on volleys (I prefer 18x20). However, there wasn't much between them and Id say I could have been just as happy with the M-Fil.

Don't think it's a good comparison to any of the racquets you mentioned. It has a distinct feel and is one of the most 'playable' frames I've used in quite some time (as in, suit most all standards, all ages, both male and female).

It is far better than a 'game improvement' frame and does not require any modification to be used successfully by a very advanced player. In that regard it is similar to the 300G and, like that racquet, is used sans lead by numerous top tier players (state level) out here.

Marius_Hancu
03-29-2006, 03:22 AM
very versatile from baseline and net
good control
not too much power on serves (might need to add lead)
will help you improve

d wayne
03-29-2006, 04:56 AM
I have been very happy with the mFil 300. I am getting decent spin( i do not hit with extreme spin) and decent power. Nice feel , good control on my grounstrokes. Slice backhands are solid. I have served will with it, as you can get nice racket head speed. As others have mentioned, if you miss the sweet spot you will feel it & the racket won't give you any help in that case. Overall, a very nice racket.

EsteroTennis
03-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Hey,

just wanted to know your thoughts on the Dunlop M-Fil 300...i'm able to get it cost-price thru connections ;). How does it compare to the Prince O3 range/Yonex RDX range? for more info on me, go to this link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92358

help would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

My kid is a high school player and really loves this racquet.....recently switched from the Babolat Pure Drive to acquire better control !
Hey bud.....any chance you can get me a couple 4 3/8 at "cost" or a little above ? If so, email me at rickstanton11@yahoo.com.....thanks.

Caswell
03-29-2006, 05:59 AM
I started playing with one about two weeks ago after retiring an older Dunlop model.

The racquet is responding well to increasing weight. I'm up to about 11.6oz total, with 14g of the 20g of the lead on the handle. It feels much less harsh overall, but it's starting to be noticeably less nimble on volleys than the unmodified version I have.

The spin is what I love, especially on serve. I play 3.5's and 4.0's on clay, and unless you can hit the corners they'll just block a flat serve back at you. I've had much more success at forcing weak returns or errors with a kick serve, and the 300 helped that out a great deal.

carrwash13
03-29-2006, 07:56 AM
My kid is a high school player and really loves this racquet.....recently switched from the Babolat Pure Drive to acquire better control !
Hey bud.....any chance you can get me a couple 4 3/8 at "cost" or a little above ? If so, email me at rickstanton11@yahoo.com.....thanks.

The 4 3/8 grip size is the standard demo size and alot of those are up on **** for like around $50 plus shipping. I don't know if "cost" is cheaper than that but its a good deal. I bought 3 from tennis warehouse and 1 demo and they all feel great.

Semaj
03-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Great rackets- for the money too! Bargin

EsteroTennis
03-29-2006, 08:43 AM
I started playing with one about two weeks ago after retiring an older Dunlop model.

The racquet is responding well to increasing weight. I'm up to about 11.6oz total, with 14g of the 20g of the lead on the handle. It feels much less harsh overall, but it's starting to be noticeably less nimble on volleys than the unmodified version I have.

The spin is what I love, especially on serve. I play 3.5's and 4.0's on clay, and unless you can hit the corners they'll just block a flat serve back at you. I've had much more success at forcing weak returns or errors with a kick serve, and the 300 helped that out a great deal.

CASWELL....sounds like this frame is a good platform for weighting and modifications (similar to the Babolat PD). Most likely, the relatively low base weight and the stiffness of the frame lend itsefl well to adding lead....etc

You've been very helpful.....thanks. Tonight, I'm going to string one up with the new CYBERFLASH Poly in the mains and Yonex 80 Spin in the crosses. I'll probably bump the weight up a little as well......trying to make the racquet a little more comfortable.

EsteroTennis
03-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Calling all Mfil-300 owners.......

What is your string setup (string brands and tension)

Currently:

Mains: UNIQUE BIG HITTER Poly at 56lbs
Crosses: Yonex 80 Spin at 58lbs

Next, I'm going to try and soften the stringbed up using:

Mains: TOPSPIN CYBERFLASH at 54lbs (supposed to be softer than UBH)
Crosses: Yonex 80 Sping at 56lbs

Caswell
03-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I ordered two with KLIP Adrenalin, poly mains at 58lbs and gut crosses at 60lbs.

I like the performance of the setup, and I'm surprised at the durability of the gut crosses. That durability has actually made me decide to try a full gut job next.

carrwash13
03-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Currently:

I string at like 60-64lbs depending on elevation (I'm at 7,000 ft at college) with Prince Synthetic Gut 16. Seems like the racket is pretty sensitive to lbs you string at. I've found the looser weigts to feel better.

DragonFly
03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I string at like 60-64lbs depending on elevation (I'm at 7,000 ft at college) with Prince Synthetic Gut 16. Seems like the racket is pretty sensitive to lbs you string at. I've found the looser weigts to feel better.

Yes, loose tensions are nice on this racquet, if not annoying when the strings are ovalish later on.

netman
03-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Sub 11 oz static weight and high flex = noodle in my book. IMHO, seems like you have to work to hard to get a heavy shot out of it. Many m-Fil 300 users seem to add lots of lead to it, which begs the questions, "Why not just buy a heavier frame?"

-k-

LN_Dad
03-29-2006, 07:40 PM

Currently:

BB ALU rough at 52lbs. Great power and easy on the arm and shoulder.

KFwinds
03-29-2006, 08:55 PM

Currently:

So far I've used Klip Excellerator 17g and Wilson NXT 17g with this stick, both strung @ 59lbs. Excellent perfomance with these strings; just the right amount of power, control, and feel. My next string job I'm about to try will be Klip Lightning - gut mains & multi crosses @ 61/59. I'm hoping this will be as close to the "holy-grail" as it gets :)

KFwinds
03-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Sub 11 oz static weight and high flex = noodle in my book. IMHO, seems like you have to work to hard to get a heavy shot out of it. Many m-Fil 300 users seem to add lots of lead to it, which begs the questions, "Why not just buy a heavier frame?"

-k-

I play these frames stock, and they certainly don't feel "noodle"-like. Very solid-hitting sticks for me; no need for lead. You do need a nice, fast swing speed with these. I like the feeling of being in complete control of the outcome of my shots with the M-Fil 300 - if you want the racquet to do the dirty work for you, this is not your stick.

AndrewD
03-29-2006, 11:59 PM
netman,
I agree in so far as I don't see the point in adding a lot of lead to a racquet -any racquet- when you could just have bought a heavier one to start with.However, the MFil-300 does play very nicely stock but not like a highly flexible racquet. You do get a firm response and very good power, especially on groundstrokes.

The racquet, due to its design, does a lot of work for you on any shot where you're rushed for time or if your preparation is a bit sloppy. Having a low static and swingweight does allow you to get the racquet into position and execute a good shot with enough racquet head speed to generate power.

That's one of the reasons why it is a racquet anyone could play well with: no-matter what level they're at. Only thing I could ask for is a slightly more comfortable response.

Semaj
03-30-2006, 12:13 AM
M-fil 300 users- I string mine with signum pro poly plasma (mains) and wilson extreme synthetic gut (x's). I really didnt like the m-fil string that it came pre-strung with. I dont like that much feel for some strange rason.

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-30-2006, 01:09 AM
ive heard the racquet is very unforgiving on off-center hits, moreso then other racquets. is this true?

DragonFly
03-30-2006, 02:10 AM
ive heard the racquet is very unforgiving on off-center hits, moreso then other racquets. is this true?
quite the opposite, well, I say this because I come from hitting with the 300g for a while

Caswell
03-30-2006, 03:01 AM

It didn't seem like a lot of work to get a heavy shot in stock form. It did seem harsh though, which was the reason for the additional wieght.

I would've gone with the 200 if it had a more open string pattern. As it is, I'm happy with the racquet the way I've got it set up. It doesn't have that ugly, leaded up look to it either - the M-Fil decals at three and nine hide the tape extremely well :P

Simon Cowell
03-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Does the Mfil200 have more control than Mfil300 generally? Or does it not matter as long as you string one or the other tighter?

watch_the_ball
03-30-2006, 10:39 AM
The 2006 m-fil 200+ is 16x19, 20grams lighter than the 200 but still heavier than the 300 and 27". I'm looking forward to demoing it.

Marius_Hancu
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Does the Mfil200 have more control than Mfil300 generally? Or does it not matter as long as you string one or the other tighter?

I have an M-fil 200.

I don't think it has more control than the 300. Being heavier, it's more difficult for some people to control it.

However, it provides more inertia in defensive situations, etc., where it might be as a result easier to hold in place, but not to put in that place, if you know what I mean. Also, generates a heavier ball.

PM_
04-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Currently:

Found this a bit late, my set-up is Gosen Polyon Sp 17 mains/Jim Courier OG Sheep Micro 16 crosses at 56lbs.
The racquet is just perfect at stock.

Which of you use 2HBs and how do you like it with the 300?

louis netman
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM

tpduke112
04-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I dont like it, it hits alot like the Pure Storm to me. Powerless.

louis netman
04-09-2006, 10:18 PM
That's one of the reasons why it is a racquet anyone could play well with: no-matter what level they're at. Only thing I could ask for is a slightly more comfortable response.
I have a leather and leaded 300g and it's plenty comfy...take it from an ex torn-rotator guy with a very sensitive arm... there are no 16 x 19, 64 RDC frames out there that weigh anywhere near 360 grams...

AndrewD
04-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I have a leather and leaded 300g and it's plenty comfy...take it from an ex torn-rotator guy with a very sensitive arm... there are no 16 x 19, 64 RDC frames out there that weigh anywhere near 360 grams...

louis,
I just didn't find it comfortable enough even with natural gut and I've had no arm troubles (apart from having to change from left-handed to right-handed).

ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE is 16x20, 63 flex and 366 grams. Sounds pretty close.

louis netman
04-10-2006, 08:17 AM
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE is 16x20, 63 flex and 366 grams. Sounds pretty close.

Thanx for the tip AndrewD...I forgot to add that my 360g sticks are 10-12 pts HL... No way to get that PSE to those specs...

In D Zone
04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I like playing with the MFIL 300 than its heavier sibling MFil 200. I own and play with both - 200 is much heavier and my arms gets tired easily. A great example would be playing out door court on a windy day. I was playing on the side where I had to hit the ball against the wind. I started with MFil 200 and after 20 minutes of hitting, I was getting tired. So I switched to the 300, I was able to generate faster swing to counter my opponents ball (his side has the wind blown towards me). The ball was coming faster than normal speed - I played with the 300 for over an hour and was not tired at all. When I switched sides with my opponent, he complained I was hitting too hard and fast - I had to explained to him of the wind factor.

Indoor Court experience - the 300 is stable with great control. I like to attack the net with approach shots and volleys, I am very confident because the 300 always delivers. Ground strokes is also provides great power and control - easy on hitting passing shots on both sides. It was surprised that my one hand back hand has improved - delivering powerful loop stroke on my back hand returns, topsins , block shots (push) and slices. I don't have to worry about the weight issue, I can focus on my athleticsm to chase the balls down; with great racquet speed I can easily hit the return with control and ease.

M Fil 300 is a great racquet and very under-rated!.

louis netman
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
I like playing with the MFIL 300 than its heavier sibling MFil 200. I own and play with both - 200 is much heavier and my arms gets tired easily. A great example would be playing out door court on a windy day. I was playing on the side where I had to hit the ball against the wind. I started with MFil 200 and after 20 minutes of hitting, I was getting tired. So I switched to the 300, I was able to generate faster swing to counter my opponents ball (his side has the wind blown towards me). The ball was coming faster than normal speed - I played with the 300 for over an hour and was not tired at all. When I switched sides with my opponent, he complained I was hitting too hard and fast - I had to explained to him of the wind factor.

Indoor Court experience - the 300 is stable with great control. I like to attack the net with approach shots and volleys, I am very confident because the 300 always delivers. Ground strokes is also provides great power and control - easy on hitting passing shots on both sides. It was surprised that my one hand back hand has improved - delivering powerful loop stroke on my back hand returns, topsins , block shots (push) and slices. I don't have to worry about the weight issue, I can focus on my athleticsm to chase the balls down; with great racquet speed I can easily hit the return with control and ease.

M Fil 300 is a great racquet and very under-rated!.

I've got 300g's weighted heavier than the 200g and they are the BOMB!

rustsurfr
05-07-2006, 05:01 PM
BB ALU rough at 52lbs. Great power and easy on the arm and shoulder.

I aggree with that. I play with the exact same string setup.