PDA

View Full Version : Wilson nPS 95 vs. nBlade??

byealmeens
03-29-2006, 05:36 AM
I've read a few reviews of the new nBlade 98 and I'm curious if anyone who's hit with it could compare it to the nPS 95. Both have similar specs, though the nPS has a bit smaller head size and lower swingweight. I've hit with the nPS, and I'm wondering whether it's worth giving the nBlade a try as well.

legolas
03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
given that the nblade is a lil bigger, then it is possible for it to have a larger sweetspot

byealmeens
03-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Have you played with both?

LowProfile
03-29-2006, 03:51 PM
The nPS actually has a relatively high swingweight compared to its actual weight. Given that the nBlade is only a few tenths of an ounce heavier, a swingweight of 340 almost makes it seem clumsy in my mind. However, I have not played with the nBlade but I can tell you that the nPS is a very solid racquet whose manuerverability is probably its best part. The nBlade looks almost the same statistic-wise.

byealmeens
03-30-2006, 05:43 AM
The nPS actually has a relatively high swingweight compared to its actual weight. Given that the nBlade is only a few tenths of an ounce heavier, a swingweight of 340 almost makes it seem clumsy in my mind. However, I have not played with the nBlade but I can tell you that the nPS is a very solid racquet whose manuerverability is probably its best part. The nBlade looks almost the same statistic-wise.
Exactly! I too liked the nPS, and feel the stats are very similar to the nBlade. Just wondering if anyone had tried both and could comment.

AndrewD
03-30-2006, 06:23 AM
byealmeens,

The pro who does our stringing has hit with both and thought the nBlade was an okay racquet but the swingweight was higher than he liked and would only creep up further if he changed to a leather grip or decided to add a bit of lead. Okay for baseline play but a bit unwieldy at net. Between the two he felt happier with the nPS due to the more moderate swingweight and thought it was a more versatile racquet that gave him all the spin, power and control he needed.

His opinion is that in the same weight and headsize range as the nBlade, the Dunlop M-Fil is a far better choice. Offers up more power (still very controllable), more spin and a good balance between static and swing weight.

byealmeens
03-30-2006, 07:40 AM
byealmeens,

The pro who does our stringing has hit with both and thought the nBlade was an okay racquet but the swingweight was higher than he liked and would only creep up further if he changed to a leather grip or decided to add a bit of lead. Okay for baseline play but a bit unwieldy at net. Between the two he felt happier with the nPS due to the more moderate swingweight and thought it was a more versatile racquet that gave him all the spin, power and control he needed.

His opinion is that in the same weight and headsize range as the nBlade, the Dunlop M-Fil is a far better choice. Offers up more power (still very controllable), more spin and a good balance between static and swing weight.
Thanks for the info AndrewD - very helpful. I'll give the M-Fil 300 a try and perhaps compare it to the nPS. From what I've heard, the nBlade is probably not for me.

byealmeens
03-30-2006, 12:58 PM
By the way AndrewD,

Have you played with the nPS 95 yourself?

AndrewD
03-30-2006, 04:58 PM
By the way AndrewD,

Have you played with the nPS 95 yourself?

byealmeens,

I should say in advance that Wilson is assisting our tennis programme this year and have given me frames to use so you can disregard what I write if you think I might be biased.
Although the nPS isn't available here in Australia I've had a very brief hit with one. It did feel a touch more flexible than the nSix-One Team 95 although the difference wasn't extreme. I thought the Team had a little more punch but, perhaps, a touch less comfort than the nPS. I can't recall the spin levels on the nPS but on the Team they're exceptionally good (going on other reports, they seem alike) and I can't think of another 18x20 frame that allowed me to generate so much spin. Power was very good but it did feel controlled.

Also, for a lighter weight racquet I thought there was an exceptionally solid response on all shots. Certainly allowed me to block the return of serve and get good depth or chip/charge and have good weight on my shot. I don't always find that the case with racquets in the nPS weight range so it was a nice surprise. It has a heftier feel, due to the swingweight and balance, than something like the M-Fil 300 (which I think is a very nice frame). The low swingweight of the M-Fil did allow for fantastic recovery shots (so easy to get the frame moving at the last minute) and the nPS is good but doesn't allow you to be quite so lazy.

If you're used to heavier racquets just be mindful of a tendency many people have, when using a lighter frame, to lean back on rather than into their shots.

Im not sure what sort of parameters you have for a racquet but if you're keen to try the nPS I'd say you might like to give the Babolat Pure Storm a demo as well. A touch heavier (11oz) and a larger head size but, otherwise, it's a well balanced racquet with good comfort and performance in the lighter weight range. Perhaps the Wilson nTour (I didn't like it but you might) and the Dunlop M-Fil 300 as well?

hacker
03-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I've demo'd both racquets and my buddy just purchased the nBlade after also trying the nPS. I liked both and didn't really notice the higher swingweight on the nBlade. I hit with a Volkl and I thought the comfort level of the nBlade was similar for me. The nBlade also had more pop IMO. Don't think you could go wrong with either one. Good luck :)

legolas
03-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Have you played with both?
yes, i liked the nps better

LowProfile
03-30-2006, 08:10 PM
The nBlade also has that nFoam stuff that may make a difference in comfort.

Then again, like most new technology, it just might not.

byealmeens
03-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks to all for your input.

AndrewD, thanks again. I tried the nPS a while ago and it felt good. What I'm looking for is a flexy, comfortable control frame. I do like heavier racquets, but I think the nPS is easily customizable. The M-Fil 300 looks like it would be as well. My only concern is that I've always found Dunlops to be a harsh hit, even in bigger head sizes. Comfort is an absolute must for me, but I'd like to have a little more control if possible. That being said, I'm not looking for a PC600 mid either. I like mids, but find it tiring to generate pace with most. So, like others, my search continues. Right now I'm playing with several tweeners and they're great, but they are just a touch too powerful. Thought the nPS might be the one....

AndrewD
03-31-2006, 06:56 AM
byealmeens,

The nPS is a nice hit but bear in mind that if you do want to modify it you aren't going to have much leeway with the swingweight. In stock form it's at 325 but if you increase the static weight to something in the 11.5+ range (you said you like heavier frames) then you'll end up with a swingweight around the 330-335 mark. In my opinion that marks the nPS (or Team) as a racquet NOT highly customisable. If you want a racquet that is well suited for modifying then pick one that has a low static and swingweight or something that, in stock form, is closer to your ideal weight.

Unfortunately, it's tough to find something that has good flex to it. Apart from the Dunlop M-Fil 200 plus or standard (I didn't like them but had no trouble with the comfort) you'll probably have more luck with Fischer or Volkl. If 12 ounces isn't too much for you then I would definately suggest you try the Fischer M Speed Pro Number One or the previous version, especially the M Speed. Otherwise the Volkl DNX9 might be a good option. The specs have been posted on the board but I think it's around the 11.5 mark, low swingweight and good flex. A bit firmer than the t10mpVE but still comfortable.

Good luck

tarkowski
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
byealmeens,

The nPS is a nice hit but bear in mind that if you do want to modify it you aren't going to have much leeway with the swingweight. In stock form it's at 325 but if you increase the static weight to something in the 11.5+ range (you said you like heavier frames) then you'll end up with a swingweight around the 330-335 mark. In my opinion that marks the nPS (or Team) as a racquet NOT highly customisable. If you want a racquet that is well suited for modifying then pick one that has a low static and swingweight or something that, in stock form, is closer to your ideal weight.

Unfortunately, it's tough to find something that has good flex to it. Apart from the Dunlop M-Fil 200 plus or standard (I didn't like them but had no trouble with the comfort) you'll probably have more luck with Fischer or Volkl. If 12 ounces isn't too much for you then I would definately suggest you try the Fischer M Speed Pro Number One or the previous version, especially the M Speed. Otherwise the Volkl DNX9 might be a good option. The specs have been posted on the board but I think it's around the 11.5 mark, low swingweight and good flex. A bit firmer than the t10mpVE but still comfortable.

Good luck

I was going to suggest the Fischer mSPeed 98 as well. With overgrip and dampener, mine came out at 12.1 ounces - though it just doesn't feel near this weight. It is very stable as it's weight would suggest, but it swings lighter - I would have guessed it 11.7 or so.

Even though it is an once heavier than what you've been demoing, it might be worth a look due to these factors.

Take Care!

byealmeens
03-31-2006, 11:30 AM
byealmeens,

Personally, I prefer customizing a racquet with low static weight and higher swingweight (within reason), as it allows me to just add weight to the handle. This gives me the HL balance I prefer, and keeps the SW relatively the same as the weight in the handle does not increase the SW very much. Sometimes I have to add a bit of lead to the upper hoop to re-position the sweet-spot, but usually that's not very much. When I tried the nPS, I added 1/2 ounce to the handle and it felt great. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to play with it that long (a little over an hour).

I've considered the MSpeed, maybe even the 105 si, and a couple of other Volkls. I didn't like the Tour 10 VEMP, or the mid - nice racquets, just not for me. Thanks again for your feedback.