PDA

View Full Version : DNX 8 vs Pure Drive and Roddick Pure Drive

vin
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
I've been playing with the DNX 8 for over a month now and had a brief chance to try the two Pure Drive's yesterday in some doubles with big hitters.

The Pure Drive had an extra grip on it, which may be why it weighed 11.7 oz, but based on playing just a few games with it, I was producing similar balls to what I do with the DNX. I could clearly feel vibration, even on softer hits, and didn't like that at all. I remember it being more comfortable last time I hit with it, but not this time. And it's strung with Sensation!

The cortex system in the Roddick pure drive clearly does it's job, but produces a feel I didn't like much. It was comfortable, but not enjoyable. Maybe too muted. Anyway, it swings as it's swingweight suggests, which is too much for me, so I didn't spend much time with it.

I may not spend any more time with Pure Drives, so I figured I'd post my opinion even though it's limited.

A_Instead
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Vin,
Compare the the power level of all three? and spin response? stability?
Thnks

vin
03-29-2006, 09:09 AM
They were all very close, certainly not enough difference for me to tell from just a few games with the PD's.

If you have the ability to whip around a 330 swingweight all day, you should try the Roddick PD. From my limited time with the regular PD, I think it performs similar enough to the DNX 8 that the DNX should be favored based on it's better shock absorption. But search for Two Fister's comparison of the two. Him and his daughter prefer the PD over the DNX.

Two Fister
03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
They were all very close, certainly not enough difference for me to tell from just a few games with the PD's.

If you have the ability to whip around a 330 swingweight all day, you should try the Roddick PD. From my limited time with the regular PD, I think it performs similar enough to the DNX 8 that the DNX should be favored based on it's better shock absorption. But search for Two Fister's comparison of the two. Him and his daughter prefer the PD over the DNX.

Oh, great...pull me into this one again! :mrgreen:

FWIW, I also felt the PD Roddick felt too muted for my tastes. Didn't seem too hard to whip around, though, maybe cuz I'm used to the apd+ with lead at 3 and 9.

Currently trying to switch to the PureStorm. Easier on my elbow. Funny thing is I tweaked my wrist while playing a match with it. Can't win.

WayneCM
03-29-2006, 11:27 AM
hey i'm playing with the pure drive, i like it, find it good so far only played once or twice but enjoyed the feel, havn't had any swingweight issues yet... What strings would u recommend for it...?

A_Instead
03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
hey Two Fister.
I too play with a APD+ , just switched from a PD std.
I am also anxios to try the AR PD+ but he SW of 345 scares me.
Do you think that the frame design of the APD+ masks the SW?
I also have a PD+ with a lower SW compared to the APD+ but the PD+ seems more sluggish.

The DNX SW is to ligth for me.
Let me know how you like the Pure Storm compared to the APD+.

vin
03-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Oh, great...pull me into this one again! :mrgreen:

Sorry dude, just wanted to give light to another opinion. ;)

I have a Storm in the batch of demos as well, but I anticipate that I won't like the swingweight. We'll see. I'm pretty much set on the DNX 8 at this point anyway.

It's SW is about the same as the standard PD's.

WayneCM
03-29-2006, 12:20 PM
hey i'm playing with the pure drive, i like it, find it good so far only played once or twice but enjoyed the feel, havn't had any swingweight issues yet... What strings would u recommend for it...?
d'uh! sorry bout that post meant to say i am playing with a pure drive Roddick

Two Fister
03-29-2006, 03:08 PM
hey Two Fister.
I too play with a APD+ , just switched from a PD std.
I am also anxios to try the AR PD+ but he SW of 345 scares me.
Do you think that the frame design of the APD+ masks the SW?
I also have a PD+ with a lower SW compared to the APD+ but the PD+ seems more sluggish.

Let me know how you like the Pure Storm compared to the APD+.

Yeah, you know for some reason the apd+ swings relatively easy to me (even with extra lead tape). I'm actually finding the PureStorm just seems to swing heavier than the apd+. That's just my impression. The apd+ is surprisingly easy to generate racquet head speed with. The storm feels more solid to me, but less powerful, especially on serves.

I felt the dnx8 swung very light, but I probably had a light weight sample.