PDA

View Full Version : Help: Racket Too Stiff

andyN
03-30-2006, 07:00 AM
I got a Wilson NPro Surge and it's a bit too stiff for me. How can I soften it up a bit? Would lowering string tension help?

panic
03-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Use lower tension, multis and try adding some weight

vinnier6
03-30-2006, 07:16 AM
try putting a soft stirng in it, like nxt or some other soft multi string...lowering the tension is only going to get you more power from the racquet...if the string doesnt help soften it up you are going to be stuck with it...or get rid of it...i tried the npro surge before deciding on the flexpoint rad tour, which is way less stiff then the npro surge...

anirut
03-30-2006, 07:25 AM
What's your string? Looking at the racket's stiffness of 66 and 26 mm beam, may be you could try a good multifilament at around 60.

rocket
03-30-2006, 07:31 AM
I got a Wilson NPro Surge and it's a bit too stiff for me. How can I soften it up a bit? Would lowering string tension help?

Soak it in salted water for 3 days, air-dry it thoroughly before use.

Marius_Hancu
03-30-2006, 07:33 AM
if you can afford, natural gut would be best
lower the tension if you have good control

FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

andyN
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks all. I bought it used with Technifiber BiPhase @ 60lbs on it. I like to take it down to 56lbs. Natural gut is not an option. And adding more weight is not what I had in mind because currently the swing weight is perfect for me.

counterpuncher
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks all. I bought it used with Technifiber BiPhase @ 60lbs on it. I like to take it down to 56lbs. Natural gut is not an option. And adding more weight is not what I had in mind because currently the swing weight is perfect for me.
If the tension drop does not work, try a softer multi - something like IsoSpeed Professional - softest string I have tried that l liked (bearing in mind that I usually use polys). I had this racquet for a while and gave up on it due to the stiffness before trying this string.

cozmo5050
03-30-2006, 11:55 PM

curious to know your playing level, playing style, age ?

like everyone else's advice, natural gut @ low tensions. if that is out of the question, soft multi, low tensions.... Dunlop Max Comfort strings, $6 per set!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DunlopString.html

it can also help to get a more cushioned replacement grip or overgrip.

Ripper
03-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Add enough weight and you'll notice the stiffness doesn't bother you.