PDA

View Full Version : Which manufacturer is actually making progress?

vkartikv
03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Wilson? No way. prince with their o3 technology? I don't think so. Head and LM/FXP? I believe not. Dunlop?? Oh god no!

I think PK and volkl are about the only ones that can claim that their tech. is actually improving over time. I don't know how the mspeeds match up to the original VT pros so I cannot comment about fischer but the top companies are just using gimmicks/advertising to sell their products. How many of you would take a PC 600 over a FXP prestige or a 6.0 mid over an ncode mid or a POG over an o3 'MS'? The worst of the lot is Dunlop - mfil as a replacement to MW?????

Ripper
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
prince with their o3 technology? I don't think so.

Have you hit with an O3 raquet? Just as an example of what you're missing out on, if you hit a ball, with a conventional raquet, very close to where the strings meet the frame, what happens? Zero repulsion and ball to the floor. With an O3 raquet, there's a good chance that it will go to the other side. This comes from a guy who had them, sold them and repented :)

Pancho
03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Have you hit with an O3 raquet? Just as an example of what you're missing out on, if you hit a ball, with a conventional raquet, very close to where the strings meet the frame, what happens? Zero repulsion and ball to the floor. With an O3 raquet, there's a good chance that it will go to the other side. This comes from a guy who had them, sold them and repented :)

I agree with you Ripper. Prince O3 sticks are clearly ahead of all the other sticks for now. Yes, off hit shots go in. I praise Prince for their O3. So many tour players are using O3 These days: Coria, Sharapova, Davidenko, Stosur, Pascual, Spadea just to name a few. I have seen a lot of top level junior players use them too.

BTW, I've been attending the NASDAQ100 open - where everywhere you turn you seem to see a pro hit with a O3.

SFrazeur
03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Wilson tech as made inroads. The Ncode line is far superior to the H series.

The only racquets with the H designation that are not terrible are the HTour

and HRival.

knasty131
03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
i have never hit with an O3 racket but a clear representation of how good they are is that pros are actually making the switch...you CANT paintjob those so there is no explination other than the fact that prince has actually made an advancement in technology

i personally play the wilson HPS 7.1, absolutely love the frame...just thought i would throw that in to show im not biased

ericsson
03-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with you Ripper. Prince O3 sticks are clearly ahead of all the other sticks for now. Yes, off hit shots go in. I praise Prince for their O3. So many tour players are using O3 These days: Coria, Sharapova, Davidenko, Stosur, Pascual, Spadea just to name a few. I have seen a lot of top level junior players use them too.

BTW, I've been attending the NASDAQ100 open - where everywhere you turn you seem to see a pro hit with a O3.

yea right, thats why coria and spadea changed to the good old pog:mrgreen:

Zverev
03-30-2006, 12:40 PM
i personally play the wilson HPS 7.1, absolutely love the frame...just thought i would throw that in to show im not biased
same here, playing with HPS 7.1 and loving it, after trying several gimmicky sticks.
All you need in the racquet is graphite, proper weight, flex and weight distribution.

Regarding O3 - why do they have to make holes so big? The string would move freely even in the smaller holes. I never hit with O3 - it's probably not a bad racquet, but surely it's not because of the holes, but for the same reason every successful stick is successful - proper weight, flex and weight distribution.

DXS
03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
The O3 tech works without a doubt. I enjoyed my time with that stick.

I use a FP Rad. While I like the stick a lot, I don't think the holes make a difference. I can feel the racquet flex, but It always flexes right above the handle.

-ds

jackson vile
03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I would say that Head is most off;)

knasty131
03-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Zverev...what strings do you use??? tension??? and have you put any lead anywhere???

I use a poly mains sythnetic cross hybrid...at 59 lbs...and i have 3 grams at 3 & 9...and soon ill be putting some in the handle to counter weight it

Pancho
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
BTW, O3 Tour does break strings more than other sticks. I used O3 Tour in 3 sets and the strings broke in the middle of the 4th set.

It takes time for me to switch sticks. I'm still using the old POG, I have not gotten used to the O3 Tour MP or O3 White MP yet.

Zverev
03-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Zverev...what strings do you use??? tension??? and have you put any lead anywhere???

I use a poly mains sythnetic cross hybrid...at 59 lbs...and i have 3 grams at 3 & 9...and soon ill be putting some in the handle to counter weight it
I have never tried poly in it, because I am trying to avoid poly as I had TE/GE combination 1-2 years ago. From different racquet though, and 7.1 helped to deal with it, BTW.
I have found that I need powerful string in it, otherwise if I play big hitters and they take me too far from the baseline, my shots are not deep enough.
So tried full syn gut, syngut/multi combinations, like PSGD/TF or Gosen Super/TF at tensions like 59/57. It plays great, but I kept trying.
I loved how E-matrix at 58 plays in it, but it lasts only 2-3 hours, so it's waste of money in the end.
Now I have 850 Pro at 59/57 and like it a lot, maybe just a tad too much power. Will try Spin version next.
I think I have around 8 gramms in total at 3-9 and with overgrip it's around 360 gramms (12.7 oz).

thejackal
03-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I play with a n6-1 95 and would take that over a 6.1 classic (which I've used). It'd be a closer call with the HPS 6.1 but i'd still take the ncode.

Pomeranian
03-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Yonex, I think, is doing well. But I don't think any racquet manufacturer is actually making much progress. I don't see any miracle breakthroughs in design or what the material of the racquet is made of.

Ncoded? Nothing special. Holes in your racquet. (do i have to explain this one? I found them flimsly) Flexpoint to increase dwell time. They should be sued for that, it doesn't give more dwell time as far as I know. The ball leaves the strings before the frame flexes and flexes back so how does the "cupping" give more dwell time?

Maybe I'm just bitter towards racquet companies but I would never choose a racquet based on it's specs and technology. It's just so much crap, I would just demo a racquet to see if it plays nicely. Specs are also unreliable, frames may play softer or stiffer than what it suggests. Also "feel" cannot be written in advertisement. "feel" is different for each person.

anirut
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Let's face it. The DNX is also a result of nanotech. So, what's new with nanotech in rackets?

IMO, best progress for any manufacturer is the good-old 100% graphite of the 80's.

The good solid-playing sticks of those days ...

billyboybeacon
03-30-2006, 09:14 PM
the o-ports ..for 2.0-3.5 players ..it works great.. the whole racket is a sweet spot..everyone over 50 at my club uses them...we call them the big bertha for tennis

FuZz_Da_AcE
03-31-2006, 02:28 AM
ive heard that the O3 and the DNX are the best technologies on the market right now, from my local tennis shop pro.

Ripper
03-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Regarding O3 - why do they have to make holes so big? The string would move freely even in the smaller holes.

Because 1 hole holds 2 strings and they need to be apart by a certain distance... And because of the aerodynamic benefits, which I forgot to mention in my previous post and which is, also, a very real fact...

PS: Prince is going to have start paying me something :p

Bora
03-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Now if Prince can figure out how to get the feel back into the consumer racquets they sell, they may have a winner.

sureshs
03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
There are lot of posters on this thread and other threads validating the O3 technology. Now Prince has many variants like ports at 3 and 9 only, 6 and 12 only etc with the hyrbid hornets and other models. Which of them is likely to give the most benefit?

DXS
03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
There are lot of posters on this thread and other threads validating the O3 technology. Now Prince has many variants like ports at 3 and 9 only, 6 and 12 only etc with the hyrbid hornets and other models. Which of them is likely to give the most benefit?

I've hit with the tour MP, Hornet, Shark. The O Ports work as described by Prince. The tour has a long and wide sweetspot due to the holes being on all four sides of the head. The Hornet and Shark, while having a large sweet spot, it doesn't cover the entire face as the tour seems too.

While this technology truely works for me, The sticks do not have the feel and responce that I'm looking for in a stick. They seem too muted for my taste.

-ds

sureshs
03-31-2006, 08:10 AM
What about the White and the Tour 95? The Tour 100 did not have much power for me so I am thinking of the White or the 95.