PDA

View Full Version : Rd-7s with different head shapes?

MeteorAce
03-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I have recently bought two rd-7s and the have different head shapes. The older looking one with darker paint has a very square looking head and the newer one with brighter paint has a more circular head (Much like the yonexs today).
So are the older ones and newer rd-7s always different? Do they Play differently (Ive only had a chance to play with the older looking one, by the way it was awesome)
P.S. when where rd-7's first released?

Mugatu
03-30-2006, 05:25 PM
interesting. i'v got a pretty old one (10 years or so) but i reckon it's a similar head shape to the current yonexs but the shape is kind of an inversion of the newer one. by this i mean that the rd-7 seems a bit more rounded inthe upper hoop whereas my newer yonexs seem to be a bit more rounded in the lower hoop. that said, i don't hav a current yonex that's 95 sq. inches - do they even make one these days?

MeteorAce
03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Does anyone else have any info about this?

bookem
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm not aware of different shapes with the 7 and I've been using the 7 for at least 9 years. Graphics were approximately the same brightness.

7s were discontinued in 2004; their production began sometime in the early to mid-90s but maybe POGO has some info on this.

Are you sure you're not comparing the R-7 or the RD Power 7? Those are completely different sticks...

Midlife crisis
03-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Does anyone else have any info about this?

Not particularly about your racquet, but I have the same experience with a Prince model, which also had different head shapes throughout the model run. Most likely, there were manufacturing or engineering issues that required some reworking during the run, so they were incorporated mid-stream. In the case of my racquets, though the name and general appearance were the same, the model numbers were quite different (TT65 versus TT88, or something like that).

Most manufacturers probably follow the same practice.

MeteorAce
03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I will post pictures soon and yes i am sure there both rd-7s.

Chopin
03-31-2006, 06:21 PM
hmm i hope one of them isn't slightly warped or fake.