PDA

View Full Version : ProKennex Redondo 93

Max8950
03-30-2006, 07:10 PM
I just received my ProKennex Redondo 93 in the mail today. Took it out for some practice and I must tell you this is a great racquet. I have spent the last year rehabing my shoulder and inner elbow and chose this racquet for its properties (heavy, head-light, flexible).

So far the racquet is amazing. Accuracy is a whole new word with this racquet. I can really focus on hitting with the middle of my racquet and let the racquet swing. You have to bring the power with this racquet some what. If you are off center or running you have to swing harder and more in the sweet spot to get your shot off.
The weight is great. Coming off shoulder and elbow injuries I can really have a more focused and smooth swing with this racquet. Feels like an extension of your arm. I think this is the racquet for all levels of play. Why would anyone want a game improving racquet anyway.

This racquet is not fancy, it is back to basics. When you touch this racquet "Journey" starts playing in the background and your minivan transforms into a 82 trans-am. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This is like a 80's Center Court Wimbledon Racquet, headbands and all (you can keep the short shorts.)

Swing correctly, its all good. Swing at the ball two feet in front of you (because even though you had plenty of time to get to the shot you got lazy and at the last minute realized you were to far back) not a good shot at all. I will serve with it maybe next week and let anyone interested know what happened

Max
PK Redondo
Wilson NXT Max 16 @ 57lbs.

DANMAN
03-30-2006, 07:31 PM
please keep us posted...that is one sweet looking stick. I would like to have one in my collection

anirut
03-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Max, thanks for the input. Please keep posted. I'm also very interested in the Redondo, simply because of the 100% graphite.

May be you could tell us more about your style of play and the string type & tension so we can have a better picture of how the racket may serve us with different styles of play.

Yes, the 100% graphite is the REAL advance technology. Making rackets that will play well, and not all that space-age material marketing cr@p, is what racket companies should be doing.

armand
03-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I was reading some other threads about this racquet a while ago and I was under the impression that the older one was a bit better with its 20% Kevlar.
But I guess this new one would be more comfortable because it's quite a bit flexier.
I'd still love to try either, I wonder how they'd compare to the PC600.

jayserinos99
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
I have the Redondo mid, the Tour10 VE mid and the PC600. If this rain lets up I can do a real detailed comparison but from first impressions the Redondo is a little bit more headlight and whippier than the PC600. Someone mentioned before that it was a 'catch and release' frame and that pretty much sums it up; I could feel the ball go into the strings a bit more so I could feel how good or bad I hit it.

Max8950
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Update from earlier in the week:

I went out today to hit with my PK Redondo 93 I got on Wednesday. This is a sweet frame. I am using Wilson NXT Max 16 @ 57 lbs, tons of spin. The spin is sick. You have to know what you are doing with this racquet. I am coming back from shoulder and elbow injuries so I need a certain type of racquet. This is the racquet. Now that I have have a couple of pratice sessions with the racquet I am finding all the power I need and more, even on the run. I hit with a semi western grip and two handed backhand. The light head makes the racquet sooooo maneuverable. I think this racquet promotes good swing mechanics. If you take a smooth long swing at the the ball and really drive through and follow through the shots your going to win tournaments. If you miss hit the ball it is not hard on your arm at all, the ball just doesnt go anywere. I like this type of feadback.

I hit about 15 overheads and was impressed. The racquet does not feel heavy in the least. In my opinion, you should have to get a doctors note and sign a special wavier to play with any racquet under 11 ounces. 12.1 oz is not like swinging a post hole digger. In fact it is so much ligher than a lot of wooden racquets back in the day. Get this racquet and you will become more attractive to the opposite gender. I dont know how it happens but it does. Keep playing with a light, stiff, head heavy racquet and you can hop a plane to Texas so I can whip your butts.

It is time to pony up. Dont demo this racquet with the crappy strings they put in, Get the real thing and string it low. String it low. I am stringing at the bottom of the range and will probably go lower next time. If you sting over 60lbs with this racquet your back and arms better look like Sampras if you want the ball to have any pace. As it always has been too many players focus on the racquets and dont know enough about strings. The strings make the racquet. If you put killer strings on this racquet you will be happy, just like me.

Max
PK Redondo 93
Wilson NXT Max @57

ta11geese3
04-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Sigh... the only reason I want to use this racquet is that it's so pretty...

Keep posting, you might convince me to demo this racquet instead of getting a pk type r.

galain
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
. If you sting over 60lbs with this racquet your back and arms better look like Sampras if you want the ball to have any pace.

What - covered in hair?

anirut
04-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks Max.

Would you say that the Rendondo is kinda "old school"? Or suitable for old-school-inclined strokes? I like the old PK Black Ace. Hope the Redondo has some resemblance.

BLiND
04-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Is it a true 93", or is it the same as the Prestige Mid (which is actually under 90")?

southpaw
04-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Is it a true 93", or is it the same as the Prestige Mid (which is actually under 90")?

I'll jump in. The pk is almost a mirror of the prestige - same beam shape, same head size. I guess they do the same as Head; round up and pronounce it an even 600sq cm.
Out of curiosity, I just compared the pk to a ncode 90 tour, and if anything, the pk is slightly smaller. But it's really close, almost too close to call.

my-add
04-02-2006, 05:16 PM
could anybody compare the wilson ROK (93) to this racket?

BLiND
04-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks Southpaw... yeah its smaller than a Tour 90, because the head size is about 89.5" or so.

AFAIK the Wilson ROK's were REALLY a 93", larger than Prestige Mid.