PDA

View Full Version : A little string help for nawbies like me please...

Aoya
06-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I love you guys.

That being said, let's move on. Poor bum-esque people like me can't afford to shell out 40 bucks to feed Babolat everytime a string pops, so suckers like me have to stick to Synthetic Gut and Poly. Here's the kick, I'm planning to cut the current strings on my LM Prestige MP, and replace them with Luxilon (since everyone is raving about them like sliced bread).

I've narrowed it to Big Bang Ace 18 or Ti-Mo 18...opinions?

Or, invariably, are there other guts that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get? Or Syn Guts that play so well, you could swear by them (and I mean SWEAR by them)?

Current tension is 58 with Prince Original Syn Gut, 17 gauge.

PHSTennis
06-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Do you not like the Prince Original Syn Gut 17g? I like that, right now I have Gosen Sheep Micro 17g at 65lbs, the TiMO died on me in 3 weeks, I normally break synthetic in about 5 hours but the TiMO didnt want to break... When I cut it off, it was like a slice of bread, it didnt make noise nothing... just kinda disconnected... I was laughing! The ALU is pretty good, Never died on me... by the way I strung it at 56 lbs.

Steve Huff
06-22-2004, 09:28 PM
If it just "disconnected", it had lost most of its elasticity. A good string that is still lively and playable should pop and recoil some.

Prestigious
06-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I use BB ALU @ 57# in my LM Prestige MP. I've had it in two racquets for over a month and it is still holding up well. No noticeable wear and just a slight loss of tension in one of the racquets--the one I use the most. I play about 6 hrs./wk. I hit the ball rather flat, but twist my serves and occasionally use heavy topspin on sitters. One of the things I like the most about the ALU is that it doesn't move around at all. No adjustment needed. It provides a very consistent rebound on strokes. Great control on drop shots as well. No arm problems as some others have experienced.

Aoya
06-23-2004, 05:29 PM
It's not that there's something glaringly wrong with the Prince Syn 17, it's just that it's nothing special about it..I'd rather up a little loot for a better string.

Also, I forgot to mention..I play about 7 hours a day...or..about 25 hours a week..so I need a string that doesn't lose tension like WHOA. The Tenniswarehouse page said the BB series don't lose tension quickly, can anyone verify this?