PDA

View Full Version : Head Flexpoint Radical Tour - Arm Pain Common?

justme8966
03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
Hi,

2 Weeks ago I bought a Head FP Radical Tour. Last year I played the Head LM Radical which was too light for me and recently I played the Wilson Ncode 90 Tour, which felt really nice but the frame was a bit too small., so I tested the FP Radical Tour.
It feels really nice - Groundstroke, Volleys, Touch, all is how I like it.
But the first couple of days I didn't server with it.
So two days ago I played my first match with this new racket and after the match my arm hurt.
Somewhere from the inside of my elbow and a bit above.
I hope I won't get a tennis elbow.

Plase tell me, if this is common for this racket and does it go away after you get used to it? Because I really like the features of this racket - except for the pain in my arm while serving ;)

I didn't string it to hard ( 26/25 --> My LM Radical was strung 28/28 )

What's your take on that?

thx
bye mike

alfa164164
03-31-2006, 07:04 AM
I think the Flexpoint Radical Tour is a great racket.
Good power, nice plow through on groundies, serves a heavy ball, and has decent touch at the net, but..........
I too did get some arm pain from using that stick.
I am used to hitting with 12 ounces frames, so I don't think it is the weight of the racket. Me thinks the flexpoints create vibrations.
If not for the arm pain, I would still be using it.

justme8966
03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi,

when did it start? Do you think you could have got used to it? Cause that's what I'm asking myself - maybe if I continue playing with it - it won't hurt??
And again, I only get that pain when I serve :(

jonolau
03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
How coincidental ... I owned one briefly for about 2 months, and switched back to my Volkls because I started getting elbow pain. I thought it was only me so that's why I never brought it up.

DADYO
03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I had the exact same pain serving with a SixOne 95.

It only lasted 2 days, then it passed, and after that I've never had any sort of arm problems. *knocks on wood*

justme8966
03-31-2006, 09:50 AM
That's what I thought - maybe I just need to get used to the new racquet and afterwards it's gonna be fine.
I just don't know because I never had arm problems with any racquet before...so?

barry
03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
That's what I thought - maybe I just need to get used to the new racquet and afterwards it's gonna be fine.
I just don't know because I never had arm problems with any racquet before...so?

I used it for 2 hours and my shoulder almost fell off. Loaned it to a teaching pro and he asked "what he ever did to me to deserve this", his arm and shoulder was sore for a week.
If the racket hurts you arm, get rid of it. I think the problem is inherent in the flex point design. Most of the pros use painted versions which are not flex point racket technology.

Fatmike
03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I switched from a LM Fire to a Flesxpoint Radical Tour. I Had terrible wrist pain using the Fire.

Now, with the FP Tour, no pain at all. And I play over 8 hours/week.

Are you from France? Cause most people here (except for French people) doesn't use the international system for the tension.

Richie Rich
03-31-2006, 10:11 AM
i was the lucky person who benefitted from alfa's elbow misfortunes and picked up his FP Rad Tours. I haven't even had a twinge of anything since I got them.

I also strung them up at 60 lbs with polystar energy.

I think certain racquets, for whatever reason, will effect people in different ways. I know one guy who's elbow bugged him when he played with a volkl c-10. Go figure.

justme8966
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I'm from Germany. But live in florida now...stillt got the "kg" in mind :-)
Well that's really weird. And as I said, I didn't have any problems before with this racquet - only when I started serving with it.
By the way...1 hour after playing today the pain settled down. So I'll give it a shot the next couple of days and see if it returns ( hopefully not )
Hope I just need to get used to it cause I really belive it's a great racquet.

gshaffer23
03-31-2006, 10:49 AM
I have been using the FXP tour and string it with Cyber Flash at 60/58... no arm pain whatsoever.... The feel I get is just as good, if not better than my previous sticks (Ti Rads). Overall, great racquet for me and pain free.

Richie Rich
03-31-2006, 10:56 AM
I have been using the FXP tour and string it with Cyber Flash at 60/58... no arm pain whatsoever.... The feel I get is just as good, if not better than my previous sticks (Ti Rads). Overall, great racquet for me and pain free.
how you like the cyberflash? was thinking of getting a reel. too cheap to pay for alu.

Ljubicic for number1
03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
I used this racquet for a while (still my backup) and have NO arm issues with it.

John.

gshaffer23
03-31-2006, 04:26 PM
how you like the cyberflash? was thinking of getting a reel. too cheap to pay for alu.

It is worth it! I have played with Luxilon strings for many years, and this is the best alternative I have found by far. I absolutely love it!

justme8966
04-01-2006, 12:42 PM
OK guys, I just played 3 hours straight with the Head Flexpoint Tour.
I really thought my arm pain would start but it DIDN'T.
I played and played and it felt good. No pain while playing and no pain afterwards. This makes me really happy.
I hope it will continue like this the next couple of times...
Right now, I think you just need to get used to the feel of the racquet and all is fine - btw, it's not that I haven't played heavy racquets before ( Pro Staff 6.0, Wilson Ncode 90 Tour )

What I can say about the racquet itself:
Really nice feel, solid groundstrokes and very good control.
You just need to get used to the racquet. It feels very differently than all the other racquets I used. But now that I'm used to it, it really improves my game ( at least I think so ;-) )

Ljubicic for number1
04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I found it to be a much nicer racquet with 26gm's of lead at the top of the grip.

Saito
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Played with it for about an hour, and it gave me enough pain to not ever pick it up again. It can't be me, because I've hit with various racquets which are infamous for giving arm pains (BPD+for example). Hope this helps. :-D

Meditator
04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
One of the kids, who I practice w/ regularly, just switched to this Head Radical Tour MP (full size). He doesn't have any pain or shoulder problem. (Of course, he does 40 push up and sit up everyday)

BTW, he is only 11 years old, but do play tournament regularly. We practice 2-4 hours a day, 3-4 times/ week. His previous racquets were Head I Radical and Ti Radical. When he got the demo, he loved the feel of it- very stable against hard hitter and a lot of control. He couldn't hit some of the shot before w/ other Head racquets until he switched. I decided to order one w/ 4 1/4 grip size for him as a present, and let his dad buy the rest.

My N Code 6.1 tour, now, he thinks that is heavy.

Ronaldo
04-01-2006, 09:22 PM
To those who found the FP Radical Tour gave them TE. Welcome to the Geritol Club.