PDA

View Full Version : Why change rackets so often?

mr2union
03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I was shopping a pair of rackets in the last year or so, I finally made a move and spent the money last week.

I noticed from this board that many of the posters are buying rackets each every few months and have a laundry list of rackets that they have had experience with. I used my last rackets for more than 5 years, and that was a model that evolved from its predecessor that I used for more than 5 years with very similar design and just slightly different in weight.

On average, I only changed rackets once every 5 years. I just want to get a perspective of how some players switch rackets every 6 months. I am an intermediate level player, I still have hard time to adapt to a new racket and must spend some time before I can perform at my capable level with the new stick. I can't imagin to switch racket every so often.

vin
03-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Consider yourself lucky!

Many people are picky, including myself. You find something that feels good, but it doesn't have enough power. Then you find something that feels good and has good power, but it's too hard to swing. Then you find something that's easy to swing and has good power, but it doesn't feel good. I think you get the idea. It's like a cyclical disease. :mrgreen:

I think for most people on this board it comes down to being caught between the feel, comfort, and heft of a players frame versus the power and ease of play of a tweener.

I'm trying really hard to find a frame that I think I'll be happy with for years to come, but it's tough (for me) and I have to admit I've accumulated a "laundry list" in the process.

As a wise poster once said, it's about tradeoffs, and some of us have more trouble than others giving into them. ;)

Grimjack
03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Because it can't be my fault, so it must be the stick.

jayserinos99
03-31-2006, 11:37 AM
boredom i guess. each stick has its own feel and i guess that's what appeals me to keep trying different frames.

Pixie
03-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Ahh, we are never happy!!

I guess it's part of the fun to experiment with frames, strings, tension, whatever..
I really don't change very often my set ups, but it's mainly due to the lack of resources!!
Here in uruguay you don't have many diferent raquets available and are REALLY expensive, so we stuck with what we got or simply with what you can afford.
But yeah, changing, while not always good, is always fun!

Take care of you and your game!
Pixie

El Diablo
03-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Truthfully I think another reason is need for novelty. Lots of posts on this board by people who seem to be happy with their racquets but want to try various new sticks, despite having no particular expectation that newer means better. I'm entirely happy with the BB10 and feel it works for me on every type of shot, but I get a twinge here and there to demo a bit. Step back a bit from this game for a moment and it starts to look a little repetitious, the sort of activity reasonable people would find boring after a time, so new racquets feel like a way to add a little spark.

Pixie
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes, and racquets are like icecream, you just can't have enough, and it comes in so many flavors!!
This sport is so great that you can't help but PLAY!!

gonzalocatalino
03-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Last year i have played with a lot of racquets searching for the best for my game. I found the T10VEmp, is my main stick and i really like it in all ways.
Anyway, i still keep buying other raquets, just for fun, to try something different. Like pixie says:

Yes, and racquets are like icecream, you just can't have enough, and it comes in so many flavors!!

louis netman
03-31-2006, 12:37 PM
It's kind of like an addiction....just like acquiring/playing many guitars (and women, too). Each one plays, feels, and sounds different....and there's a kind of new "excitement" to play one you haven't played in a while. Then there's the element of trying one with different setup, balance, lingerie, etc...

No harm, just make sure you have a main one that's a sure thing for you ;-)

vkartikv
03-31-2006, 01:10 PM
It's kind of like an addiction....just like acquiring/playing many guitars (and women, too). Each one plays, feels, and sounds different....and there's a kind of new "excitement" to play one you haven't played in a while. Then there's the element of trying one with different setup, balance, lingerie, etc...

No harm, just make sure you have a main one that's a sure thing for you ;-)

Women and racquets eh? I would be in some hospital on my deathbed if I were to carry on my racquet-s l u t attitude to women!

p.s. the forum censors the word s l u t! Talk about being conservative...

mr2union
03-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Those are good insights. I am a conversative guy and I'm pretty loyal (boring). I have been dating my fiance for 11 years and this year we finally will tie the knot.

I guess I just have the same attitude towards my rackets. ;)

jonolau
03-31-2006, 05:52 PM
We are living in an age of consumerism and instant gratification.

Imagine this: 40-50% of our life is spent with shoulder to millstone at work. We slog, toil and suffer to earn X amount of dollars. Then when you get a precious 4 hours a week to play tennis, you want to make sure that your suffering is well worth it. What do we do? Reward ourselves with a little treat once in a while. For some, it's Prada handbags, for others, a brand new tennis racquet!

Whoopee.

Pomeranian
03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Haha. I don't like changing racquets often either. But when your racquets are discontinued, what can you do?

kinsella
03-31-2006, 08:35 PM
My game is developing, as is my swing. As this happens, my needs change. I have played racquets with pretty similar specs on paper, for quite a while - about 12 ounces, no bigger than 98 sq in, and preferably less. Who can say, but I think I am "done" changing racquets.

I now have decent stroke mechanics, but need to produce them more consistently. I don't see a different racquet helping me there -- quite the opposite. I think this this could be the beginning of what I envy in really good players, where they don't want to change the racquet, just fine tune the game. I probably won't get past the "early" stage, of "getting good," but it won't be for lack of trying.

mr2union
04-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I now have decent stroke mechanics, but need to produce them more consistently. I don't see a different racquet helping me there -- quite the opposite.

This is what I think too. Many players talk about their rackets not suiting their game and continue to try new rackets after rackets. I have a couple of personal friends are like that too. I just have to wonder, if he/she keeps changing racket every few months just when he/she got used to the charateristic of the rackets, then he/she buys a new racket and needs to adapt to a new racket. Not a good way to improve his/her game, at least not going to improve consistency.

bismark
04-03-2006, 12:12 AM
I was shopping a pair of rackets in the last year or so, I finally made a move and spent the money last week.

I noticed from this board that many of the posters are buying rackets each every few months and have a laundry list of rackets that they have had experience with. I used my last rackets for more than 5 years, and that was a model that evolved from its predecessor that I used for more than 5 years with very similar design and just slightly different in weight.

On average, I only changed rackets once every 5 years. I just want to get a perspective of how some players switch rackets every 6 months. I am an intermediate level player, I still have hard time to adapt to a new racket and must spend some time before I can perform at my capable level with the new stick. I can't imagin to switch racket every so often.
It's the quest for the holy grail (ie. the perfect racquet). Sadly there isn't any, only 'honeymoon' periods.