PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Catapult 8 V-Engine

emmyc
03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
I am thinking about switching from the Yonex V-Con 17 (MP) to the Volkl Catapult 8 V-Engine. I don't want to switch from one discontinued racquet to one that will soon be discontinued. Does anyone know if Volkl plans to discontinue the Cat 8 VE? I tried both the DNX 8 and the Cat 8 VE, and I like the Cat 8 VE much better. Could anyone give me some comments on the Cat 8 VE?

waves2ya
03-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I find it the strongest in the Volkl line-up - but I've heard it may be discontinued (hello TW: true?). Best size to swingweight to stiffness ratio; Volkl technology (gd for TE sufferers, but not heavy/deadish like PK line) and extended. Sweet stick and regardless of discont rumor it - still no sales.

DNX-8 is not long enough. Sad they did that...

dennis1188
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I got to finally demo the cat 8ve, recently. I liked the weight and balance of this frame (4 1/2 grip demo). Most impressive was the incredible kick serves, kick serves just jumping frm the add-court and bouncing into the deuce side court direction. The kick serves jumping into the alleys and beyond (lots of kick serve aces). The best volkl cat i've tried (i've owned a few other cat volkls). On the downside, the cat effect doesn't help w/ grd strokes esp my usually hvy topspin or much on the flat shots. The cat8ve felt a bit 'slower' and less control than my usual POG frames. IMO it's a good 'tweener tease', but no shortcut for my POG.

Jim Hendricks
04-01-2006, 08:46 AM
It is a very nice stick. decent power, excellent maneuverability and stability, very comfortable and I really like the extra 1/4 inch in length. As far as being discontinued, any racquet you buy will be discontinued.

vin
04-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I like the Cat 8 VE much better.

What more do you need to know? :mrgreen:

Search for posts by myself, drak, and Rabbit and you should find some additional opinions. Personally, I don't like the Catapult feel, but other than that, I think it's a nice stick.

waves2ya,

You can buy a new Volkl handle for about $10 and make the racket .25" longer when you replace it. drak has already done this and made a thread about how to do it and how he liked it.