PDA

View Full Version : Beam size=power?

300Gkid
04-01-2006, 07:53 AM
i was told that the bigger the beam the more powerful the racquet would be. However, the pure storm has the same beam but yet a comparison between it and the 300G said that it was much more powerful. So was that just a fluke or can the bigger beam=more power be said for all racquets?

bluegrasser
04-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I suppose weight come into the equation, a little more weight in the head for the Storm would add some pop.

panic
04-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Higher swingweight= more power with the same swing.

vkartikv
04-01-2006, 12:54 PM
This has nothing to do with power but I wanted to clarify something else related to beam width:

Thicker beam does not necessarily mean less slice.

Try the tt warrior or the prince response ti or nsix one 95 - all of these have relatively thick beams (22-23 mm) and are all excellent for a chip and charge player who employs sliced BH very often. True, thinner beams give you better slice but just because a racquet has a thick beam DOES NOT mean it won't slice well.

armand
04-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Beam width isn't the only determining factor in power. Beam width often determines stiffness in relation to weight(eg. a thick beam allows a frame to be stiff and light at the same time).
So you have to consider everything: head size, stiffness, string pattern, weight, distribution of weight, length...anything else?

EliteNinja
04-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Beam width isn't the only determining factor in power. Beam width often determines stiffness in relation to weight(eg. a thick beam allows a frame to be stiff and light at the same time).
So you have to consider everything: head size, stiffness, string pattern, weight, distribution of weight, length...anything else?

That pretty much covers it.
I guess you could seperate distribution of weight into 2 things:
Balance Point and Swingweight.

LowProfile
04-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Generally, racquets with thinner beams are more flexy while those with thicker beams are stiffer. This is not the only thing that determines how powerful a racquet is and should not be used to determine power levels.

Anything with a beam of over say 26 mm is a tweener or game improvement racquet though. Almost anything with a beam 23 mm and under is a intermediate-players' frame.

lucky leprechaun
04-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I think this is another piece of evidence that stiffer means more power, because the main thing a thicker beam does is stiffen up the racquet at all those places where its thick. Maybe that's why they haven't made a 26mm beam racquet that weighs over 12 ounces. That would be too much power to put into a mere mortals hands.