PDA

View Full Version : bachelor's diet

lendl lives
03-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm a bachelor who doesn't cook or at least not very well. Any advice on what I should be eating?

Phil
03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Buy a cookbook-one of the larger ones-and eat the pages; a few pages for each meal. Or, go on the "Subway" diet-that ought to be exciting, inundating your digestive system with a variety of pressed/processed lunch meats each day...

saeta119
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
get a rice cooker, put rice and water, and turn it on, 20 min later you get food .
get a george foreman grill, buy chicken/beef, put it there, 15 min later it's cooked.
buy potatoes, put water on pot, add potatoes and cook for 20 min.

there ya go, food's ready

Kobble
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
MarthaStewart.com

Al Carter
03-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Buy a cookbook man. And get some advice from your mom as well.
You can always GET MARRIED!!

lendl lives
03-02-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm gonna get a foreman and rice cooker. I hadn't thought about a rice cooker that was a great suggestion. How do you guys spice up your chicken or beef?

Ronaldo
03-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Buy marinated meat, the spice is already in there. Try eggs. Boil them, slice, dice, just use the egg whites, whatever over a bag of spinach and strawberries. Boil plain boneless chicken breast, refrigerate it for later unless you are adept at boning a bird. If you really pay attention to the Subway set-up you can prepare your own veggies and control what is in your sandwiches. Learn to cook fresh food.

saeta119
03-02-2004, 04:53 PM
i use seasoning goya for chicken and beef, basically while the meat is on the foreman grill I sprinkle it a little bit, but one thing I found out, you can put anything on top of that and it'll come out good, just go to the nearest supermarket and look up the condiment aisle, I was surprised to see that companies make it really easy for a newbie to find out what you need.
or here's another idea, go and get a frozen dinner, heat it up and mix it with the rice you cooked in the end. damnnn that's good!

Kirko
03-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Minute Rice & Kidney Beans; also eggs & veg. fruits.

Verbal_Kint
03-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Burrito's and Pasta's are REALLY easy to make as well, first make your sauce:
- Throw in some diced onions and fry these
- Throw in the meat
- Throw in whatever veggies you like

warm up your tortilla's and go for it! (you can put some sour cream on the tortilla's and some chili dip on the filling)

- For Pasta: get the water to cook and throw in the pasta. You have to learn the timing so pasta and sauce are ready simultaneously.

Good luck and enjoy!

Marnix

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Oatmeal (instant) with whole grain wheat toast.

Mix one packet of "Regular" flavor with one packet of your favorite flavor. Boil water in microwave. Toast 2 pieces of whole wheat toast. Add butter and Low Sugar jelly to the toast. Eat with No Fat milk.

It's what I had most of the time for breakfast (alternating with Wheaties and Total) and what I have as my pre-match meal.

Have lost 32 pounds in three months.

Benjamin

PS: run every other day for 3 to 8 miles.

Kirko
03-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Benjamin Bravo on the weight loss !

Benjamin
03-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Kirko,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Benjamin

dennis1188
03-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Try 'the ten minute cooking school' - Puerco Pibil recipe.
You will recall that johnny depp kills the chef after eating the perfect puerco pibil

heartman
03-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Stay with the basic food groups. I like the rice cooker and Geo Foreman grill ideas. Pasta, and poultry are always easy - you might be surprised how good a couple chicken breasts, a bowl of rice or pasta, and some veg's(fresh or frozen) can be. 'spose the marriage situation is always an idea, but make sure you get to know her mother(potentially your future mother-in-law) well, because I believe there is credo in the saying about your wife becoming her mother over time...(not sure if that came out right, but I hope you catch my drift).

Of course, you could always pretend you're an Australian bachelor who plays tennis, keeping plenty of cold bottled beer on hand for those in-between snacks of liquid carbos. Cheers from a married tennis player pretending to be from Australia while living in northern Minnesota! Burp!

Frodo Baggins
03-11-2004, 03:26 PM
My Advice: LEARN to COOK.....

sunny
03-12-2004, 03:31 AM
having been in your position for several months, i'd advise you to go with the rice cooker and alternate with pasta whenever you're sick of rice.

frozen mixed vegetables are easy to use.

foreman grill for meat... and looooooots of different sauces. i usually get interesting curry paste for chicken and veggie dishes from the local indian store.

...and when you're really hungry and just want some no nutrition crap, try rice + soy sauce hahahhaah. well, try not to let it get THAT far.

Cypo
03-12-2004, 09:19 AM
DO NOT GET MARRIED - PAY A HOUSKEEPER !!!!!

lendl lives
03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
lol

Ronaldo
03-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Knew a runner, lived on a loaf of bread, 4 salads, plenty of water, 20 miles/day, 2 marathons each weekend. Never looked a day over 18 from the neck down. Who needs to cook when you are burning up the road.

Phil
03-13-2004, 12:56 AM
"2 marathons each weekend." I doubt that.

Verbal_Kint
03-13-2004, 02:16 AM
Phil, for once we agree :)

Marnix

K. Wilson Moose
03-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Cypo,

Neil Young said it best,

A man needs a maid,
Just someone to keep my house clean -
Fix my meals and go away.

Ronaldo
03-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Phil, V_K, his name is Sy Mah, and he not only ran 2 marathons on a weekend, he traveled and ran 2 in a day. http://edm.ouser.org/02/statue/n14se98d-symahstory.htm

Verbal_Kint
03-14-2004, 02:42 AM
I stand corrected, and can only say: Bizarre! :shock:

Marnix

Phil
03-14-2004, 07:48 PM
But did he run 2 marathons "each" weekend-i.e. 8X a month, 96X per year? That's what I picked-up on, and it's not correct, right? Anyway, the guy was an animal. Amazing.

Ronaldo
03-15-2004, 01:33 AM
Met him when he was 50, took his class, never ran as much as a mile previously, and was running 5 miles/day in 2 weeks. Lost 30# in 10 weeks. He was the 1st person I ever met that used cross-country ski trainers in the summer.

Cypo
03-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Moose -

New mama's got a sun in her eyes
No clouds are in my changing skies
Each morning when I wake up to rise
I'm livin' in a dreamland.
-NY

I always wondered what he meant :-)

baseliner
03-15-2004, 07:29 AM
I was involuntarily recalled into the Army 2 years ago and went from a happy family man to living by myself and having to cook. Got a George Foreman grill and stocked my fridge with salad, boneless skinless chicken breasts and steaks. Ate lunch on post and had either chicken breast or steak over salad. Not too exciting for a year but was healthy and kept me going.

Phil
03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
baseliner - I think you've hit on the key, ahhh...ingredient for successful and healthy bachelor cooking-REPETITION. Don't waste time, just choose a couple main dishes and DO IT.

BTW, involuntary recall will certainly mess with your life, especially if you're a family man. But, your service to the Country is GREATLY appreciated (NB - Same thing happened to me in '91, when involuntary recalls were RARE).