PDA

View Full Version : PK Ki15 weak in the upper hoop?

NoBadMojo
04-01-2006, 11:48 AM
one of my lessons hits the PK Ki15 and I noticed it was making a wierd sound at times. I asked him about it and he said sometimes it feels like it is broken..i hit a few with it.
I found that it was solid as can be within the sweetspot, but when hit high in the stringbed it made that wierd sound and there was some shock and lots of vibration (almost like a rattling) and it just felt weak in the upper hoop. The frame is pretty new and was not abused and I could find no visible sign of cracks.
I dont find that acceptable, but an wondering if the PK people think this is normal for PK frames? I advisd him to see if he could return it. guy already has tennis elbow.

framebreaker
04-01-2006, 11:58 AM
sorry to say that but it wasn't the sound of your racquet. it was the sound of your ellbow;)

Morpheus
04-01-2006, 05:07 PM
The PSE version is not like that. Can't speak for the lighter version.

I have found PK rackets to be of very high quality.

El Diablo
04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Don't most racquets respond poorly when hit high in the hoop?? Don't see the point here and don't see a quality issue here. Ki 15 is a light stiff racquet...they tend not to sound very solid outside the sweetspot.

nkbond
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Both the 5g and 7g sound like they're broken or cracked if you hit them against your hand high in the stringbed. They are extremely dead up there also, which has always been a negative on serve, for me...that's really the only downside I have with these frames (well, that and the fact they do crack easily, and I'm talking only kinetic 5g and 7g here...other PK frames I've had are very sturdy).

NoBadMojo
04-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Both the 5g and 7g sound like they're broken or cracked if you hit them against your hand high in the stringbed. They are extremely dead up there also, which has always been a negative on serve, for me...that's really the only downside I have with these frames (well, that and the fact they do crack easily, and I'm talking only kinetic 5g and 7g here...other PK frames I've had are very sturdy).

thanks for a reasonable response. yes, it sounds like it is broken when you thump it high in the stringbed with your hand, but also sounds and feels like it is broken when you hit it up there. i heard that the PK frames break a lot, but heard it was mostly in the throat. Guy said it wasnt like that when he bought it.
it's not a question of him sending it back..he's going to do that. i was mostly wondering if this is something that is common with these frames and I should steer him to another frame.

Steve Huff
04-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Ed, I've had a couple of PK's that do this. It's always been a problem in the handle. There's a thin piece of graphite that divides the inside of the handle into 2 sides. It's probably cracked or broken away from where it meets the wall of the handle. You have to take the butt cap off to check, and they're a bear to get back on unless you have a powerful stapler and some really hard staples. I've always just spread some rubber cement around the area that's come loose. So far, 3 for 3, it's fixed the problem.

NoBadMojo
04-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Ed, I've had a couple of PK's that do this. It's always been a problem in the handle. There's a thin piece of graphite that divides the inside of the handle into 2 sides. It's probably cracked or broken away from where it meets the wall of the handle. You have to take the butt cap off to check, and they're a bear to get back on unless you have a powerful stapler and some really hard staples. I've always just spread some rubber cement around the area that's come loose. So far, 3 for 3, it's fixed the problem.

thanks Steve. that sure makes a lot of sense and why the feedback is so lousy if the handle has something loose in it. you could tell it wasnt drill flash or a grommet as the vibration is a lot worse than the buzzing you get in the upper hoop from that. and i couldnt find any cracks in the frame itself. i'll let the guy know to check that out or just send it back. thanks for your help.

GuyPerez
04-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Ed,
My Ki15PSE broke near the top of the handle - above the grip - so it was visible. I have a reputation for NEVER abusing a stick other than a having a good crack at the fuzzy yellow thing with it.

Steve Huff
04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Ed, did you find out if that fix worked. Sending a racket back to ProKennex now requires you to send in some money also--I guess for shipping it back to you. Bad policy in my opinion. I don't recall other manufacturers doing that yet. I was giong to send in a 10g PSE, but with shipping and the fee they charged, I started looking for myself. I had had this problem before on a couple of other PK's, so this was the first place I looked.

kreative
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
The PSE version is not like that. Can't speak for the lighter version.

same experience as Morpheus.

NoBadMojo
04-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Ed, did you find out if that fix worked. Sending a racket back to ProKennex now requires you to send in some money also--I guess for shipping it back to you. Bad policy in my opinion. I don't recall other manufacturers doing that yet. I was giong to send in a 10g PSE, but with shipping and the fee they charged, I started looking for myself. I had had this problem before on a couple of other PK's, so this was the first place I looked.

Steve I havent seen the guy since passing along your info. I think he is trying your fix rather than sending back.