PDA

View Full Version : What to do about grips too large?

thursdayisgod
04-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I just got two Babolat Pure Drives that are 4 1/2. I feel they are too big and are effecting my stroke, what can I do about this? And no, I can't go back and exchange them for 4 3/8, unless anyone reading this wants to trade with me.

eLterrible
04-01-2006, 08:07 PM
you could replace the grip with 2 layers of overgrip, that'll make it maybe a half size smaller, to get it to 3/8 you might have to just use one layer of overgrip, but besides shaving the handle down, that's the only thing you can probably do, and some handles you cant shave down, go to a tennis store and ask someone if they will reshape your handle.

10nisNe1?
04-01-2006, 09:24 PM
be aware though that the balance will change once you remove the original grip. best to trade it rather than mess with the balance. if i were you, id even go for a 4 1/4 and add an overgrip onto it since i really like my racquets headlight--but thats me :D

Steve Huff
04-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I've found that taking off the grip and using 2 overgrips takes it down a whole size. One overgrip and there is absolutely no cushion.

jonolau
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
be aware though that the balance will change once you remove the original grip. best to trade it rather than mess with the balance. if i were you, id even go for a 4 1/4 and add an overgrip onto it since i really like my racquets headlight--but thats me :D
Agreed. I also like the cushioning of an undergrip (if I can call it that), so I go for a smaller size and build it to the right size with an overgrip.

I your case, if it's a viable option, I do recall from other threads that it might be an idea to buy a new grip pallet and bring it to an experienced shop to change it.