PDA

View Full Version : My Lm radical ain't gd enuff anymore....

joe1987
04-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Hey all, I'm currently using a Lm radical Mp strung with poly mains at 59lbs and syn gut crosses at 57lbs. Have been using it for the past one-half yrs.

I'm about a 5.0 all courter. Big serve, big forehand. semi-western forehand and double-bh. My style of play is usually to power away at the baseline coming foreward once I hit a aggresive shot to the corners. So volleys are quite a big part of my game as I usually end the point at the net or forecourt.(would not call it serve volley nor chip n charge as I really don't do either much)

So far this past year I've been pleased with the racket it gives me everything I want except a tad bit too much power. Lately, I've been getting fustrated as I can't generate a heavy enough ball. My brother a fellow 5.0 is managing to get it back easily and its getting fustrating as no matter how hard I try, he says he can barely feel the spin where as my friends(4.5-5.5) commented that its loaded with spin. (maybe its because he is used to it) However, I tend to agree with my brother as from the flight of the ball, I think its not as potent when I was testing a Lm prestige where the ball really bit the court well. I've thought of moving onto the prestige but I didn't like it as it was too flexy.

So I'm looking for a new racket. I'm looking for
-more spin,
-11.4-12.2 oz weight.
-at least 4 pts headlight.
-Sw about 325 +/- 10 .
-can hit a heavy ball.
-good topspin
-good on serves.
-have a crisp feel.
-not too stiff as I had a slight elbow problem with the npro during a playtest(though nothing with the puredrive)
-headsize 95-100

I was thinking of the RDS001, Head FXP Prestige, FXP rad tour, Lm intinct tour xl, volkl t10g2, (babolats felt too powerful though the aeropro drive was fantatic on spin.) O3 tour, ( no wilsons ncodes here I didn't like the muted feel), ps 6.0 95?

astra
04-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Hey all, I'm currently using a Lm radical Mp strung with poly mains at 59lbs and syn gut crosses at 57lbs. Have been using it for the past one-half yrs.

I'm about a 5.0 all courter. Big serve, big forehand. semi-western forehand and double-bh. My style of play is usually to power away at the baseline coming foreward once I hit a aggresive shot to the corners. So volleys are quite a big part of my game as I usually end the point at the net or forecourt.(would not call it serve volley nor chip n charge as I really don't do either much)

So far this past year I've been pleased with the racket it gives me everything I want except a tad bit too much power. Lately, I've been getting fustrated as I can't generate a heavy enough ball. My brother a fellow 5.0 is managing to get it back easily and its getting fustrating as no matter how hard I try, he says he can barely feel the spin where as my friends(4.5-5.5) commented that its loaded with spin. (maybe its because he is used to it) However, I tend to agree with my brother as from the flight of the ball, I think its not as potent when I was testing a Lm prestige where the ball really bit the court well. I've thought of moving onto the prestige but I didn't like it as it was too flexy.

-more spin,
-11.4-12.2 oz weight.
-Sw about 325 +/- 10 .
-can hit a heavy ball.
-good topspin
-good on serves.
-have a crisp feel.
-not too stiff as I had a slight elbow problem with the npro during a playtest(though nothing with the puredrive)
-headsize 95-100

I was thinking of the RDS001, Head FXP Prestige, FXP rad tour, Lm intinct tour xl, volkl t10g2, (babolats felt too powerful though the aeropro drive was fantatic on spin.) O3 tour, ( no wilsons ncodes here I didn't like the muted feel), ps 6.0 95?
Give a try a Fischer Mspeed Pro No. One. Based on voices from this forum, it could fit your requirements. Even if it has 59 flex rate, reportedly feels stiffer. Even stiffer than LM Prestige, which has 63 flex. I have not tried the Fischer M speed yet, but i am curious very much and will test at the first opportunity.

vinnier6
04-02-2006, 09:03 AM
if you want to hit a heavy ball then get a heavy racquet...sounds to me like you might want to try hitting the ball flatter as well...

KennyNguyen
04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Maybe you should try a Yonex RDS 001. It seems to fit and it would be cool to see how a radical user changed to it. :) Or maybe you can just add a whole package of lead tape to the radical like I did to mine...

michaellashan
04-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I say give the Flexpoint Radical Tour a spin. String it towards the higher end of the recommended scale because it does have some serious power. Nice ride, all in all.

:cool:

Fuzzless
04-02-2006, 12:02 PM
brush up more and swing faster. also be realistic, you don't have to kick the ball 20 feet when it bounces.

definitely try some lead before you consider switching.

jackson vile
04-02-2006, 01:15 PM

-more spin,
-11.4-12.2 oz weight.
-Sw about 325 +/- 10 .
-can hit a heavy ball.
-good topspin
-good on serves.
-have a crisp feel.
-headsize 95-100

have you tried adding lead to the tip to increase SW and at top middle of handle? What the problem is is that your racket is not heavy enough, if you do get a new racket try to get something as simular as possible.

The LM prestige, new FP Radical (may need lead in handle), LMinstict

tarkowski
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM

-more spin,
-11.4-12.2 oz weight.
-Sw about 325 +/- 10 .
-can hit a heavy ball.
-good topspin
-good on serves.
-have a crisp feel.
-headsize 95-100

mSpeed 98 is a flexy racquet that has a somewhat crisp feel given it's flex. I preferred it over the FXP Rad and O3 Tour. A flexy-crisp frame - hard to describe, but very appealing.

Too bad you don't like the feel of the nCodes - the weight and balance of the nSixOne 95's make them lethal in the heavy ball department.
PSC 6.1 is crisper and hits a heavier ball compared to PS 6.0 95. Might be worth a shot.

The Diablo Mid also fits the bill. Classic, non-muted feel and balance.
O3 Tour (100) is far from crisp. :-)

Good luck!

joe1987
04-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Ah.. I've thought of adding lead to increase the SW but the thing is that it will increase the power too and that I do not want to string at a higher tension as any higher and my strings will feel stiff. I don't wanna change my setup as I really like the feel and responsiveness I get.

I tried the n6-1 95. Yes, I hated the feel but it did produce results but the string bed was also abit too lively for me, the 18x20 version had good control and played better but I was not satisfied with the spin potential from it.

How about the volkls? I've never tried them but how would they compare? I can't demo the M-speed here, so if I get them from tw I would be buying blind. Anyone tried the tfight325, the specs look good but I just can't get pass the extra length.

jackson vile
04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Ah.. I've thought of adding lead to increase the SW but the thing is that it will increase the power too and that I do not want to string at a higher tension as any higher and my strings will feel stiff. I don't wanna change my setup as I really like the feel and responsiveness I get.

I tried the n6-1 95. Yes, I hated the feel but it did produce results but the string bed was also abit too lively for me, the 18x20 version had good control and played better but I was not satisfied with the spin potential from it.

How about the volkls? I've never tried them but how would they compare? I can't demo the M-speed here, so if I get them from tw I would be buying blind. Anyone tried the tfight325, the specs look good but I just can't get pass the extra length.

The Mspeed might be good, but I highly suggest you stay with something more simular.

As for adding lead, what do you mean you don't want to do that? Instead of trying it and working it out you just want to buy a new racket?

What must be happening is your not spining enough, the only way you will ever hit a heavier ball is more spin and/or higher swing weight and static weight.

Just bring your SW up to 330 and some on the top middle handle and keep adding until your are happy, and if you become unhappy simply reduce the wieght.

Or you can blow 200-150 on a new racket that may or may not like:confused:

joe1987
04-04-2006, 04:50 AM
I've tried to switch to a full western sometimes on my forehands and really let it rip. My shots has much more spin wise but loses out on pace. Whats more my arm can't take the effort that I put into the shot for an extended period of time. Its very tiring doing maximum effort focusing on spin and yet generating a resonable amount of pace.

I'm not thinking of blowing 200 bucks my budget was about 100 and it just in the thinking about phase.

So your suggestion is to add lead to bring up the sw yeah? Ok I'll try it. Will feedback on how it feels.

Ps. Just a seperate question. I've a really big serve and sometimes, when I serve, sometimes the sound on impact is more of a crack than powww. Has anyone experienced this? I thought the frame cracked the 1st time I heard this but it isn't a one off thing as it has happened a few times.

KennyNguyen
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I think you might be serving high in the stringbed which is cool, but not the sweet spot and you serve really hard so yeah sorry if this thread is old.