PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 003

emmyc
04-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Can anyone give me some comments on the RDS 003? There seems to be some controversy over the stiffness of this racquet. TW lists it at 65, but some of the comments indicate that it feels stiffer. I am switching from the Yonex V-Con 17, and my top chocies at this time are the Yonex RDS 003, the Volkl Cat 8 VE and the Volkl DNX 8. I am a junior player, nationally ranked. I would appreciate any comments from the experts out there.

vin
04-02-2006, 05:30 PM
If your concern is feel and comfort, in my opinion, the RDS falls in between the Cat 8 VE and the DNX 8 with the Cat 8 being the most comfortable (if you like the Catapult feel). For a tweener, I really like the feel of the RDS.

You should try all three. They are all great rackets.

emmyc
04-02-2006, 05:49 PM
I am concerned about the stiffness issues with the RDS 003. What is your opinion?

vin
04-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Well, I wouldn't call the RDS a buttery feel, but it's probably about as close as your going to get with a tweener.

I used to play with Volkl 10 series frames, so I'm used to the buttery feel and prefer it. The RDS has enough hint of it to keep me happy.

But feel is subjective, so your best bet is to just try it for yourself.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Vin, what is your 003 strung with? Mine came with Wilson Reaction 16, but I'm thinking of putting in a more traditional multi to soften up the string bed a little bit. Any thoughts?

vin
04-03-2006, 05:56 AM
backcourt,

I strung it the first time with Wilson Stamina 16 at 55 and it felt fine.

Yesterday I restrung it with Yonex Pro Spin 850 at 54 to see how a softer string would feel. It did feel a bit nicer, but I played for 5 hours yesterday (yes, ouch), and the strings are deeply notched and look like they're going to break already. I'd say try the softer string if you're not a string breaker like me (I hit lots of topspin).

For me, this frame feels nice enough where I think I'll be fine with my typical cheap and durable Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme 16 string.

backcourt
04-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Vin. I'll probably keep the reaction in for a few more weeks (unless it starts bothering my shouder) then switch to a soft multi for the outdoor season, when I tend to play more.