PDA

View Full Version : npro open: :( (sighhhhh)

slice it
04-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I demoed the npro open recently...this is what I found

-The racquet lacked pop
-This racquet is for amuetures
-no control
-unable to acess spin

if you thought otherwise post something

:mad: :mad: :mad:

d_frank
04-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Im fairly confident that 99-100% of players here are "amuetures." Usually lower-level racquets have a lot more pop and are slightly easier to control, so perhaps its operator error?

slice it
04-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Im fairly confident that 99-100% of players here are "amuetures." Usually lower-level racquets have a lot more pop and are slightly easier to control, so perhaps its operator error?

or the racquet just is horrible :)

El Diablo
04-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Agree this is operator error....difficult to imagine a competent player achieving no spin or control with this racquet.

Michelangelo
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM

-The racquet lacked pop
-no control
-unable to acess spin

Not quite related to this topic though. I've only demoed the regular nPro. However, I'd agree that the racket is lack of control, power, feel and spin potential. Not sure how big difference is between the regular (18x18 ) and open (16x19) for accessing spin though.

LowProfile
04-02-2006, 12:33 PM
The nPro is nothing like the nPro Open. The nPro is a relatively control-oriented racquet with a not-too-thick beam and dense string pattern. The nPro Open seems to be a very similar racquet to the nPro Surge with their thick beams and 16x19 patterns.

I have not played with the nPro Open, but I have playtested the nPro Surge. It was a very stiff racquet and if I could get the racquet head closed during contact, I could really serve some hard flat bombs. That was about the only good thing I could do with this thing. It was like a board and I could get no feel on groundies and volleys. Perhaps good for players with compact strokes, but my long, fast strokes were not suited to this racquet. The nPro Open seems very, very similar to the nPro Surge (at least stat-wise). Perhaps it'll play the same.

barry
04-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I thought the new Npro Open was Federer's signature racket and he seems to have plenty of control, spin, and power. Maybe it is just too advanced for us amateurs.

Midlife crisis
04-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I played with the nPro Open a couple of months ago. It's 11 ounces strung, so it's kind of the new generation of lighter and larger player's frames or heavier midplus frames. It has a very classic feel, and anyone who played with an old school racquet will like the feet. I personally had no problems playing with it, and got as much spin from it as from the two other racquets I had at the time, which were the Hybrid Hornet and the Pure Drive Team. It was clearly my preference of these three.

hifi heretic
04-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I use the nPro 98 (not the Open, but the previous ver.) and I wholeheartedly disagree. I chose it because I'm a fast swinging 4.0 who prefers a headlight frame with a sub-320 swingweight for better net-play mobility during doubles. ..I find it to be plenty powerful on serves, and I'm able to generate tons of spin on all shots.

As one poster said, sounds like operator-error to me.

Bartelby
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
The German Tennis Magazin rated the nPro 98 the best of all racquets it tested in the advanced (non-players' category). The jury judged it 'perfect' and the control 'fantastic':
Control 1
Power 2+
Comfort 2
Overall 1
And yet the racquet didn't take off in America.

barry
04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
I played with the nPro Open a couple of months ago. It's 11 ounces strung, so it's kind of the new generation of lighter and larger player's frames or heavier midplus frames. It has a very classic feel, and anyone who played with an old school racquet will like the feet. I personally had no problems playing with it, and got as much spin from it as from the two other racquets I had at the time, which were the Hybrid Hornet and the Pure Drive Team. It was clearly my preference of these three.

Just curious, which racket did you end up buying and using. You mentioned the old one cracked.

AndrewD
04-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Unless it was strung too tight or the string was completely lifeless I'm stumped as to how you couldn't generate good spin or power with the nPro Open. I felt it provided very good spin, more power than I would like and pretty good control for a 100sq racquet. Not my cup of tea but a worthwhile option for someone who does like a lighter (but not ultra-light) and stiffer frame with an open string pattern.

calabi12
04-03-2006, 08:35 AM

-The racquet lacked pop
-no control
-unable to acess spin

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I disagree.

I demoed the racquet. It has good pop, is very easy to play with fairly good on generating spin.

It was ressurecting my now almost healed tennis elbow, so I cut my demo short.

highsierra
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
It's one of those new Wilson rackets directed at the potential Babolat buyers. 98 or 100 head size, 10.5 to 11.5 oz, stiff, thick beam, open pattern.

Midlife crisis
04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Just curious, which racket did you end up buying and using. You mentioned the old one cracked.

Actually, none of those. Of the three (nPro Open, Hybrid Hornet, Pure Drive Team), it was more solid feeling than the Pure Drive and significantly better in most respects than the Hybrid Hornet (though strangely I was most effective playing with the Hybrid Hornet), but I'm used to a longbody, OS racquet in the upper 12 to lower 13 ounce range with dead strings to take out the power. The racquet that broke was a Prince Triple Threat RIP and I replaced it with the Thunder RIP, which was the 2004 version of the 1999 TT Rip. These two are basically the same racquet with the exception of the AirHandle technology on the Thunder Rip, which doesn't make any difference that I can tell but sure makes gluing lead inside the handle a bunch easier.

barry
04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Actually, none of those. Of the three (nPro Open, Hybrid Hornet, Pure Drive Team), it was more solid feeling than the Pure Drive and significantly better in most respects than the Hybrid Hornet (though strangely I was most effective playing with the Hybrid Hornet), but I'm used to a longbody, OS racquet in the upper 12 to lower 13 ounce range with dead strings to take out the power. The racquet that broke was a Prince Triple Threat RIP and I replaced it with the Thunder RIP, which was the 2004 version of the 1999 TT Rip. These two are basically the same racquet with the exception of the AirHandle technology on the Thunder Rip, which doesn't make any difference that I can tell but sure makes gluing lead inside the handle a bunch easier.

I have 32 inches of lead tape in my Wilson surge handles, and love it. First time tried to use fishing sinkers, 1/2 ounce, but it rattled too much, so I enclosed the lead tape in some rubber cloth and jammed it in the handle.
I enjoy the over 12 ounce weight of the racket, with a leather grip, and dead polylon 17 mains with 16 gauge crosses.
My old Prostaff Surge is out of production, so am looking for a replacement.

Midlife crisis
04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I have 32 inches of lead tape in my Wilson surge handles, and love it. First time tried to use fishing sinkers, 1/2 ounce, but it rattled too much, so I enclosed the lead tape in some rubber cloth and jammed it in the handle.
I enjoy the over 12 ounce weight of the racket, with a leather grip, and dead polylon 17 mains with 16 gauge crosses.
My old Prostaff Surge is out of production, so am looking for a replacement.

Whoa! 32 inches of lead tape!

When I needed to add approximately 50 grams to my Thunder Rip's handle, I used four pieces of solid-core, quarter-inch think lead wire. Each piece was probably an inch and a half long. I liberally covered them with Shoe Goo and stuck them in the corners of the inside of the handle, making sure the butt cap staples would not interfere with them. That has held up really well and has never come loose. I was toying with the idea of putting strips of the Babolat tape on the inside, but a six foot length of that lead wire is only $2, so the cheapskate in me won out.

barry
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Whoa! 32 inches of lead tape!

When I needed to add approximately 50 grams to my Thunder Rip's handle, I used four pieces of solid-core, quarter-inch think lead wire. Each piece was probably an inch and a half long. I liberally covered them with Shoe Goo and stuck them in the corners of the inside of the handle, making sure the butt cap staples would not interfere with them. That has held up really well and has never come loose. I was toying with the idea of putting strips of the Babolat tape on the inside, but a six foot length of that lead wire is only $2, so the cheapskate in me won out.

A player at the club filled his handle up with sand, and he really like it. By far the cheapest way to go, but he found you need to cement the butt cap on. He was serving one day, and sand rolled down his arm.

Midlife crisis
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
A player at the club filled his handle up with sand, and he really like it. By far the cheapest way to go, but he found you need to cement the butt cap on. He was serving one day, and sand rolled down his arm.

How does he prevent the sand from traveling up into the frame?

barry
04-04-2006, 02:45 AM
How does he prevent the sand from traveling up into the frame?

He stuffed paper in the handle and packed it in, then put in the sand, not a bad idea, but you have to pack the sand pretty tight otherwise it shifts around in the handle.

Midlife crisis
04-04-2006, 07:42 AM
He stuffed paper in the handle and packed it in, then put in the sand, not a bad idea, but you have to pack the sand pretty tight otherwise it shifts around in the handle.

But you know, the sand is a good idea because it's not possible to pack it in that tightly and the slight shifting from it would help a lot in terms of absorbing shock. Kind of like the nCode particles in supersize!