PDA

View Full Version : RDS mid,, anyone use it for an extensive period of time?

Goldberg
04-02-2006, 01:21 PM
i was wondering from so of the people who have been playing with it how is it (RDS MID) how does the paint job look in person, also how does it compare to the rdx mid and ncode 90. thanks

jamauss
04-02-2006, 03:07 PM
the RDS001 mid?

Goldberg
04-02-2006, 03:46 PM
yes the yonex rds001 mid

Ken B.
04-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I played with it for about 2 weeks, and my impressions compared with the RDX 500 Mid:

Everything was the same/better in my game but my serve. I could not serve for the life of me. You know how sad it is when you used to serve 90-100 mph then you have to basically push your second serve to get it over? It's just so demoralizing. Chalk that up to racquet stiffness I guess. Plus, I felt the extra weight on my arm. I had a steel elbow with the RDX 500 but I could feel it here after a few sets.

The paintjob is nice to look at at first, then you kind of get annoyed with it. I'm pretty sure some people thought I was using a cheap 15 dollar racquet from Target when I went to a local tennis club to playuntil they got a closer look.

samster
04-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Ken B.,

Are you saying that you served better with the RDX 500 Mid? If that's the case, you just saved me a lot of time and money.

My only reason to think about trying the RDS 001 is because people have said it generated more power on the serve compared with the RDX 500 Mid.

Thanks!

Ken B.
04-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Ken B.,

Are you saying that you served better with the RDX 500 Mid? If that's the case, you just saved me a lot of time and money.

My only reason to think about trying the RDS 001 is because people have said it generated more power on the serve compared with the RDX 500 Mid.

Thanks!

Yeah, the RDS gives you more power on your serve, but for me that power went straight into the net. And what really irked me is that it made me rethink my serve, when it actually is very good (it's more a mental thing when it puts self doubt in your mind). And I've served well with my Dunlop 200G HM, my RDX 500 mid, and my Head Prestige.

I'd much rather have to use my own power with the RDX than use the RDS.

And I hate to be a conspiracy nut, but notice how Hewitt and Nalbandian have had a pretty lackluster year, the same time they started using the RDS? Hmmmm ;)

zAllianceBmx
04-02-2006, 05:54 PM
paintjobs ken b. paintjobs..

BreakPoint
04-02-2006, 07:24 PM
And I hate to be a conspiracy nut, but notice how Hewitt and Nalbandian have had a pretty lackluster year, the same time they started using the RDS? Hmmmm ;)

That has nothing to do with their racquets as both are using the same racquets as they were last year (for most of his career in the case of Hewitt). Yonex just keeps painting them to look like whatever new model they're trying to sell to the mostly ignorant public.

jamauss
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Hewitt's still using a Super RD Tour 90 painted like an RDS001. So, nice theory but, no.

sunmin77
04-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Actually, for me, the RDS 001 Mid is a definite upgrade from the RDX 500. It is more stable, slightly more powerful, and better on the serve. A big difference between the RDS and the RDX is that the handle on the RDS is longer, making it seem like the head of the racquet is further away from the handle, a la Wilson Original Pro staff 85. The RDS is also a very comfortable racquet and I think it improves on the RDX's "tinny" feel. It feels more dampened.

yonex90
04-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I've played with the rdx 500 for a while and I love the racquet but I think that the rds 001 is an upgrade. I transitioned very well. In fact the play is very similar. As far as the serve goes. I think that the rds 001 serves faster than the rdx for me. I think that the differnce in serves that people are having is the preference for lighter or heavier racquets. I prefer the heavier players racquets and had to adjust to the lighter weight of the rdx. Other players prefer a lighter raquet and will serve better with them. You should demo the rds. This is the only way to know for sure.

Goldberg
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
also people who have tried it how does it swing compared to n90 or 6.0 95. and do you use a 1-handed backhand, (I do)

buder
04-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Actually, for me, the RDS 001 Mid is a definite upgrade from the RDX 500. It is more stable, slightly more powerful, and better on the serve. A big difference between the RDS and the RDX is that the handle on the RDS is longer, making it seem like the head of the racquet is further away from the handle, a la Wilson Original Pro staff 85. The RDS is also a very comfortable racquet and I think it improves on the RDX's "tinny" feel. It feels more dampened.

massive ditto. the slightly higher swingweight makes this more comfortable and more solid.

Soundog
04-12-2006, 01:06 AM
That has nothing to do with their racquets as both are using the same racquets as they were last year (for most of his career in the case of Hewitt). Yonex just keeps painting them to look like whatever new model they're trying to sell to the mostly ignorant public.

That really shows you just how horrible the new paintjob actually is....:mrgreen: